What do you think of Petyr Baelish?

Oh yeah, he's one of my favorites as well. Like Varys, he's gained a position of power through intellect rather than birth...though one wants to save the realm while the other wants to destroy it. It's a great parallel (in a series full of great parallels) to watch LF's brilliance at work in this book while comparing it to Cersei's arrogant, painfully-obvious bumbling as Queen Regent.

And Sansa will definitely go into full "student kills the teacher" mode before all is said & done.

You can't deny, though, that in Sansa he sees the young Catlyn who spurned him all those years ago -- so he wants her, badly. I doubt he will kill her, but he will leverage her status as heir to Winterfell as a means of securing the north for himself -- after, of course, he's gained control of the Vale and the Riverlands and set the Westerlands and the Reach at war against each other.

I think of Petyr as bad-to-the-bone, an evil genius who will do anything for power. Not only did he betray Ned when Ned didn't cooperate, but he murdered Dontos who fulfilled his mission admirably, not to mention his own wife when she was spilling too much information and was mentally unstable. Even Sansa, he may have claimed to have saved her from certain death but that was after framing her for Joffrey's murder and causing lots of trouble for her family. And as has been noted he has molested her. I have a suspicion that he was behind the attempted murder (by Ser Mandon Moore) of Tyrion, and may even have persuaded Joffrey to execute Ned, as he loves creating chaos.

That being said, he's still close to being or actually in my ten favourite characters, as it is fascinating to see him in operation and he is so crafty. Everyone expects Sansa to be his downfall and they might be right, but that seems a bit too obvious for GRRM, who likes to go with the unexpected.

• 6 months later...

He would let this country burn if he could be king of the ashes.

Anyone who you can say that about is a bad ass :pimp:

Love him on the show and the books, great actor even if his accent changes sometimes.

Sounds saft but I'd be happy if LF won it all when its all said and done, but that wont happen. His speech about the chaos ladder was one of the best monologues ever. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

LF is the brightest mind in Westeros, but he is a resentful sad man. That's gonna play against him some day.

As he said, in the game of thrones there are players and pieces...some day he's going to misjudge a player for a piece and that's going to be the end of LF.

*Cough* Sansa *Cough*

My fave by far, show and books. Fantastic guy, the ladder shit. :ph34r:

The fact he's been running bidnis from back stage :ninja: from back before Ned lost his head :owned: and when he had Lysa :whip: to kill Jon.

It's so unlikley he will win but i really hope he is in fact king of the ashes when its all said and done. :commie:

Top guy. :cool4:

Sorry about all the emoticons, my life is green and full of chedder :pimp:

• 3 weeks later...

I love Littlefinger! And I think his got more chance than most and winning the game.

Let's face it, back in those days we would all be common peasants, so it's good to read about someone who changing his stance in life and giving it back to the nobles.

My understanding from the end of AFFC is that Littlefinger will essentially be in control of The Vale, Harrenhall which he is paramount protector which means Riverrun has to answer to him to (I think) and has Winterfell's heir (only known heir) in his hands. I hope he takes the North next! Cant wait to read the next book.

If anyone is going to get revenge for the Starks it will be Littlefinger. Not that he is knocking everyone off for that reason, everything he does is for himself, but at least we will have our revenge. The North Remembers! :)

• 2 weeks later...

He is a fascinating character, very much in control of all his actions, very clever. A sort of Loki-like trickster figure, creating chaos and feeding off it.

I found it very interesting that he introduced Sansa to his bit of stony land knee-deep in sheep shit on the Fingers and that he was so open about his origins - one would expect him to guard this information very closely. Why do you think he does it (apart from GRRM wanting to give us a bit of background)?

I barely can make myself the Sansa chapters because he is so incredibly creepy with Sansa.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read the chapter in which littlefinger is discussing with the 6 powerful lords of the vale the future of robert and his own future as lord protector. Hate the character in the sense, that he is one of the more despicable ones present. He is all about himself and is very smart and calculated. I can't believe he had the whole thing with lord Lyn Corbay planned. He has already planned to remove cersei if need come. The man while scum, is brilliant and very dangerous. Never thought i would enjoy AFfC  as much as I have so far. It was weird for me. I read book 1 first than 3 than 5 than 2 and now 4.

• 4 weeks later...

He's really creepy to me, and I've always thought he has had strange intentions ever since he

Spoiler

kissed Sansa.

I mean, we all know he was engrossed in Catelyn, so maybe Sansa has so much of a resemblance that he sees Catelyn in her? Or maybe he is simply using Sansa for political power, to possibly gain Winterfell or simply use her as a bargaining chip for future exchanges. It's still perplexing...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think he has his own secret motives which we don't know (yet).

I don't think he genuinely cares for Sansa nor that he cared about her mother (except maybe when they were young).

I do think he fancies her though but I wouldn't find it out of character for him if he betrayed her when she outlives her usefulness.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2016 at 3:26 AM, Zenikay said:

He's really creepy to me, and I've always thought he has had strange intentions ever since he

Hide contents

kissed Sansa.

I mean, we all know he was engrossed in Catelyn, so maybe Sansa has so much of a resemblance that he sees Catelyn in her? Or maybe he is simply using Sansa for political power, to possibly gain Winterfell or simply use her as a bargaining chip for future exchanges. It's still perplexing...

Hmmm.

Spoiler

I think that kiss, given below Lysa's window after all, was a deliberate provocation to Lysa's jealous reaction, and provided a setting for killing her. Marillion's presence was 'the plum in the pudding'

On 6/21/2016 at 6:10 AM, jaqenh'ghar1997 said:

if you think about it carefully LF is the one who is responsible for the whole war in the first place . It was because of him that Jon Arryn died due to which Robert Baratheon came to Winterfell which led to Ned Stark becoming hand and so on and so forth . You get the idea.

Or you know Cersei and Jaime for having incest babies. Giving Robert no trueborn heir, allowing Varys, Baelish, Stannis, Renly, and the Lannisters to all start planning. The lack of a trueborn heir meant war was inevitable. Baelish just helped kickstart it along with other players.

On 12/8/2016 at 5:38 PM, Lifestream said:

I think he has his own secret motives which we don't know (yet).

I don't think he genuinely cares for Sansa nor that he cared about her mother (except maybe when they were young).

I do think he fancies her though but I wouldn't find it out of character for him if he betrayed her when she outlives her usefulness.

I think he has some motives connected to Braavos that we don't fully understand yet.

23 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Hmmm.

Reveal hidden contents

I think that kiss, given below Lysa's window after all, was a deliberate provocation to Lysa's jealous reaction, and provided a setting for killing her. Marillion's presence was 'the plum in the pudding'

I disagree. I think that was an accident. I think Baelish was slowly poisoning Lysa with sweetsleep and he needed her alive since it lent him legitimacy. Her seeing the kiss and flipping out later was not planned. Baelish had to adapt when she started spewing secrets and had the hatred Marillion on hand as a scapegoat. Baelish's best skill is his adaptability.

Archived