What do you think of Petyr Baelish?

3 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Or you know Cersei and Jaime for having incest babies. Giving Robert no trueborn heir, allowing Varys, Baelish, Stannis, Renly, and the Lannisters to all start planning. The lack of a trueborn heir meant war was inevitable. Baelish just helped kickstart it along with other players.

I think he has some motives connected to Braavos that we don't fully understand yet.

I disagree. I think that was an accident. I think Baelish was slowly poisoning Lysa with sweetsleep and he needed her alive since it lent him legitimacy. Her seeing the kiss and flipping out later was not planned. Baelish had to adapt when she started spewing secrets and had the hatred Marillion on hand as a scapegoat. Baelish's best skill is his adaptability.

Poisoning Lysa with sweetsleep.

An interesting idea. I must read more about sweetsleep (newbie, I am).

Of course you're right- adaptability is definitely Baelish's strong suit. 

7 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

I think he has some motives connected to Braavos that we don't fully understand yet.

I disagree. I think that was an accident. I think Baelish was slowly poisoning Lysa with sweetsleep and he needed her alive since it lent him legitimacy. Her seeing the kiss and flipping out later was not planned. Baelish had to adapt when she started spewing secrets and had the hatred Marillion on hand as a scapegoat. Baelish's best skill is his adaptability.

Isn't the Baelish's origin Braavos. I am not sure. Also isn't someone trying to kill Tyrion? That man could be working for LF.

I agree regarding LF's best skill being his adaptability.

11 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Poisoning Lysa with sweetsleep.

An interesting idea. I must read more about sweetsleep (newbie, I am).

Of course you're right- adaptability is definitely Baelish's strong suit. 

Well we know he is doing it with Sweetrobin now. Sweetrobin was nursing from Lysa. Lysa mentions to Cat in GOT is that she is having trouble sleeping. Its not confirmed by any means but something I think plausible.

7 hours ago, Lifestream said:

Isn't the Baelish's origin Braavos. I am not sure. Also isn't someone trying to kill Tyrion? That man could be working for LF.

I agree regarding LF's best skill being his adaptability.

His great grandfather is from Braavos who came as a sellsword for House Corbray. Lots of people are trying to kill Tyrion. Baelish has tried several times and many suspect Cersei as well.

7 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Well we know he is doing it with Sweetrobin now. Sweetrobin was nursing from Lysa. Lysa mentions to Cat in GOT is that she is having trouble sleeping. Its not confirmed by any means but something I think plausible.

His great grandfather is from Braavos who came as a sellsword for House Corbray. Lots of people are trying to kill Tyrion. Baelish has tried several times and many suspect Cersei as well.

Again, I'm very, very new here and don't have everything pondered.

I seem to remember from Lysa's gushing welcome to Lord Baelish in SOS that they'd had no contact since her forced abortion years back. Did Lord Baelish have an agent in her household poisoning her slowly over the years?

12 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Again, I'm very, very new here and don't have everything pondered.

I seem to remember from Lysa's gushing welcome to Lord Baelish in SOS that they'd had no contact since her forced abortion years back. Did Lord Baelish have an agent in her household poisoning her slowly over the years?

I think it is implied that Lysa had been meeting in secret with LF or that they have been keeping contact. Which makes sense because it's due to Lysa's influence on Jon Arryn that LF is appointed Master of the Coin.

"No." She stamped a foot. "I want you now, this very night. And I must warn you, after all these years of silence and whisperings, I mean to scream when you love me. I am going to scream so loud they'll hear me in the Eyrie!"

46 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Yes, indeed!

This is why I'm here, to learn more!

Is it due to Lysa's influence,that appointment to  Master of the Coin, or because of LF's success in Gulltown (which appointment was of course due to Lysa's influence)?

I think his success in Gulltwon, but maybe Lysa has suggested LF after that? I don't remember if there's textual evidence, but it could be both. After all LF is talented when it comes to those things.

I've just finished ASOS, part 2 and yes, poor Lysa claims to Alayne that when her husband was named King's Hand, she convinced him  to take Littlefinger to KL.

A curious and probably 'tinfoil' detail. 

It's mentioned several times that Littlefinger freshens his breath with mint and used to chew mint as a boy.

Fans of homeopathy make many claims about its effectiveness, though to my mind, homeopathy is simply a 19th century take on sympathetic magic.

I mention this because mint is homeopathy's kryptonite- most homeopaths I know agree that mint cancels out any effectiveness their remedies have over illnesses.

I wonder if this is a foreshadowing of reason and pragmatism triumphing over magic?

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2017 at 4:15 AM, Prof. Cecily said:

I've just finished ASOS, part 2 and yes, poor Lysa claims to Alayne that when her husband was named King's Hand, she convinced him  to take Littlefinger to KL.

A curious and probably 'tinfoil' detail. 

It's mentioned several times that Littlefinger freshens his breath with mint and used to chew mint as a boy.

Fans of homeopathy make many claims about its effectiveness, though to my mind, homeopathy is simply a 19th century take on sympathetic magic.

I mention this because mint is homeopathy's kryptonite- most homeopaths I know agree that mint cancels out any effectiveness their remedies have over illnesses.

I wonder if this is a foreshadowing of reason and pragmatism triumphing over magic?

That would be interesting foreshadowing. I also think mint is a pleasant smell to most and a subtle joke considering how good Baelish is with money.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:56 AM, Lord Wraith said:

That would be interesting foreshadowing. I also think mint is a pleasant smell to most and a subtle joke considering how good Baelish is with money.

I never made the connection from mint to mint- that's hilarious!

I was so struck by role of mint in homeopathy that I overlooked the obvious.

For more on mint and homeopathy:

Rather snarky, but interesting reading

http://skepchick.org/2008/04/world-homeopathy-awareness-week-day-6-mint/

A more serious approach

http://www.atlantaclassicalhomeopathy.com/howtotakearemedy.htm

http://www.alchemilla.com/index.php/homeopathic-medicine-mainmenu-33/18-what-antidotes-homeopathic-remedies

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta love Petyr threads. So many possibilities.

Like his name, Baelish -- as in not Bael, but similar, like roundish or reddish. Bael (the Bard) of course was the mythical king beyond the wall who winkled his way into a Stark daughter's bed and fathered the subsequent Kings of Winter on her. Mayhaps he has similar plans for another daughter?

He is also one of the few non-Targaryen characters who uses the backwards "ae" digraph that shows up frequently in Targaryen names like Aerys and Rhaella. The others are Margaery, which I think is obviously intentional to make her appear more queenly, and Shae. And I've always considered it highly probable that Shae was actually one of Petyr's creatures -- trained in the Seven Sighs and sent out into the realm to get close to whichever high lord she could ensnare and report his doings back to Petyr. In this case she wound up with Tyrion. And who introduced Shae to Tyrion? It was Bronn, of course, who also happened to be at the same inn that Cat and Cassel stopped at on their way back to Winterfell. Could he have been shadowing them on Petyr's orders? There's no evidence, but Petyr is not someone to let a high-value piece like Catelyn just wander off with knowledge that is likely to start a war.

And I also read an interesting, if unsupported, thread a while ago positing that Petyr's family history is all BS and he is actually the only surviving Reyne or Tarbeck, which would bring with it a particular grudge against house Lannister.

So while I have no doubt that Petyr's arc will be interesting going forward, I have to wonder if we will ever learn the whole truth about the man and what his real goals are.

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Like his name, Baelish -- as in not Bael, but similar, like roundish or reddish. Bael (the Bard) of course was the mythical king beyond the wall who winkled his way into a Stark daughter's bed and fathered the subsequent Kings of Winter on her. Mayhaps he has similar plans for another daughter?

Well spotted, indeed!

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

...Petyr is not someone to let a high-value piece like Catelyn just wander off with knowledge that is likely to start a war.

Indeed.

Thanks for a most intriguing post, @John Suburbs.

I'm off to read old Petyr threads, whilst sipping a goblet of chilled blood orange juice.

Archived