Arthur Dayne vs. Robert Baratheon

And how do you know Robert has less stamina? It seems like you're making a ton of shit up.

The Mountain IS Robert Strong, you actually want to argue that Robert Strong doesn't have a higher stamina than King Bob? Really?

There's no indication about either surpassing the other with regards to stamina. The other 2 yeah, but then Robert's quicker/faster.

Robert Strong surpass any human in term of stamina/durability.

The Mountain IS Robert Strong, you actually want to argue that Robert Strong doesn't have a higher stamina than King Bob? Really?

Robert Strong surpass any human in term of stamina/durability.

Yes, probably. But not being human probably plays a role in that.

And im not sure if Robert is faster than Gregor

Both are described as fast for their size, but I assume that means Clegane wins on size, Robert on speed.

I do think the Mountain is probably a bad match-up for Robert, in that he takes away Robert's game more than vice versa, but match ups make fights, not fighters.

Arthur's probably accounting for the thousands of non-plated adverseries who generally make up the bulk of any army and, at least in RL, do the vast majority of noble-killing. Additionally, when nobles do meet on the battlefield, it's usually on horseback.

Robert does seem to find himself in the only kind of fight that suits him most a lot, so there's that. But whether GRRM can be counted on the orchestrate that vs. his 'best' fighter is hard to say.

If we assume on foot, only against each other, with all passing infantry etc. giving them space to go Mano a Mano, and wrapping it all up when that's resolved, Robert stands a very good chance. It's one of GRRM's less realistic habits that this unlikely scenario keeps repeating itself so often, though.

robert would be carrying a sword as well soif he figured that ist was the better weapon he would switch to it

Rhaegar was way better than average but still not even close to be as good as Dayne.

Only Dany idealize her brother so much, both Jorah and Barristan already implied that Rhaegar wasn't as great as she think he was.

Dayne would kill Robert in a fight, and i'm sure Selmy or AGOT Jaime would do the same thing

Jaime killed Eddard Karstark,Torrhen Karstark and Daryn Hornwood in a SINGLE battle.

I'm sure he slained even more noble than Robert in his life.

you assume that jaime killed more then stated but not robert your hypocritical thinking shines through here . also where is the quote that says robert was slow or unskilled is this just an assumtion by scrawny people so they can think that all big guys are slow and they could beat them with speed or what. many athletes are both big and fast why would robert who has trained and loved fighting be slow

Yeah I just remembered which makes my point even better. It would cut through plate like water.

No, it wouldn't. Valryian steel (and Dawn, for that matter) is strong, light, and sharp, but it's not a lighsaber. It can't just slice through plate armour like nothing. It took a long time of fighting for a regular sword to break against Dawn. The Valyrian dagger that the would-be assassin used to try kill Bran didn't just slice Cat's fingers off, it cut 'nearly' to the bone. I don't doubt that Valyrian steel will find it easier to get through plate armour after some time, but it's not an instant one-hit kill weapon.

On horseback I'd say Robery any-day, I can't be sure of a trial by combat style though.

One reason is that Robert's warhammer incorporates both a hammer side and a spike. This reduces the amount of room for pre-battle strategy that Arthur Dayne has , as said hammer will be effective against plate, chain AND leather. Also, a warhammer will gain extra strength from a charge because of the way its swung, but the same Is not always true for swords. Finally, I think that two clean blows from Robert's warhammer means the death of almost any man ( I may be wrong here, but just my 0.02$).

Arthur's probably accounting for the thousands of non-plated adverseries who generally make up the bulk of any army and, at least in RL, do the vast majority of noble-killing. Additionally, when nobles do meet on the battlefield, it's usually on horseback.

Robert does seem to find himself in the only kind of fight that suits him most a lot, so there's that. But whether GRRM can be counted on the orchestrate that vs. his 'best' fighter is hard to say.

If we assume on foot, only against each other, with all passing infantry etc. giving them space to go Mano a Mano, and wrapping it all up when that's resolved, Robert stands a very good chance. It's one of GRRM's less realistic habits that this unlikely scenario keeps repeating itself so often, though.

Yes, not everyone will have plate. And many that do will not have fully articulated suits of plate(partial plate would be way more common as its cheaper), you are right. But Still, a sword as your primary weapon? Fantasy. Also good luck using a greatsword on horseback.

I agree with the last bit too.

Yeah I just remembered which makes my point even better. It would cut through plate like water.

Words straight from the ignorant.

Daemon, Aemon, Barristan, Jaime, Sandor, Cregan, Corbray - On top of my head would rolfstomp this fat ogre.

Seriously: people putting Jaime in the absolute top are excluding themselves from any discussion on the topic.

How would you ever defend this statement of yours? The only things he has done, which grants him any combat glory at all, is to have crossed swords with Smiling Knight and defeating northmen in the Whisipering Woods. Other than that, he has ... killed an old man, got shoved to the ground by Robert, and then got his ass handed to him by a GIRL.

Jaime is all about bragging and not doing shit except attacking people with an advantage of 20:3 or threatening to kill people's babies if they do not yield.

You CAN'T CUT PLATE just like you are saying.

Actually, a hammer is a hundred times better if you're gonna fight against someone with plate. Although I think Arthur would win (he would behead him easily, Robert seems like the kind of guy who doesn't watch his defense), he could destroy Arthur with just one blow, something Arthur wouldn't be able to.

Seriously: people putting Jaime in the absolute top are excluding themselves from any discussion on the topic.

How would you ever defend this statement of yours? The only things he has done, which grants him any combat glory at all, is to have crossed swords with Smiling Knight and defeating northmen in the Whisipering Woods. Other than that, he has ... killed an old man, got shoved to the ground by Robert, and then got his ass handed to him by a GIRL.

Jaime is all about bragging and not doing shit except attacking people with an advantage of 20:3 or threatening to kill people's babies if they do not yield.

Martin himself put Jaime on the TOP. Deal with it.

Also, I do think that Dawn is kind of over-rated. It's technically supposed to be the exact equivalent of Valyrian steel with only cosmetic differences ( and the different origin), but exactly the same sharpness and lightness, NOT MORE. A lot of people here are trying to indicate that Dawn> VS.

Edit: While on foot its still possible to use a sword against plate, it is extremely ineffective on horseback as you cant look for chinks in the armour .

Archived