Possibility GRRM is finishing final 2 books at same time?

House Holter

Hey there am new here so be kind. I dont know if this has been discussed before in another thred apologies if it has.

I know it might sound ludicrous to some but I have found myself wondering recently if there is a possibility that GRRM is finishing both books at same time.

I read somewhere that GRRM has said that the winds of winter has been an easy book to write so far compared to some of the previous books, which could mean it is a quicker writing process. Also now HBO are making the series they are catching/caught up with the books and there could be a secret deal in place between HBO and GRRM to have both books out by certain dates.

What do you guys think?

It's possible. He managed to punch out the first three in fairly quick succession. I mean, I think this is just wishful thinking that he's aiming to finish them both at the same time, but I also don't think it's at all unlikely that he's got at least a few chapters of ADoS written.

Dream on...

(Oh, and Welcome to the forum of course! :) )

Really, I don't think that will happen or is planned (and I don't think GRRM could manage it, unless he'd wait till 2020 or whatever to release both).

The show caughs up with the books, yes, but that's inevitable, IMO, and George has considerd it.

It's possible. He managed to punch out the first three in fairly quick succession. I mean, I think this is just wishful thinking that he's aiming to finish them both at the same time, but I also don't think it's at all unlikely that he's got at least a few chapters of ADoS written.

But it would be awesome, of course! I agree, it could be true that there are already a few written ADOS chapters.

It's possible. He managed to punch out the first three in fairly quick succession.

He started writing AGOT in 1991, and had intended the first book to finish at the Red Wedding, so the first 3 books took a little longer than the release dates would suggest.

HBO will get there before George does, its just up to is as fans how we deal with that fact. Personally I will enjoy being "spoiled" by the show in season 6&7,then enjoy reading the events at George's more leisurely pace a few years layer when Winds and eventually Dream are released.

He started writing AGOT in 1991, and had intended the first book to finish at the Red Wedding, so the first 3 books took a little longer than the release dates would suggest.

HBO will get there before George does, its just up to is as fans how we deal with that fact. Personally I will enjoy being "spoiled" by the show in season 6&7,then enjoy reading the events at George's more leisurely pace a few years layer when Winds and eventually Dream are released.

Except George doesn't want the books spoiled.

I very much doubt it. I would imagine that that would be pretty confusing too. The show will pass the books. I dont think HBO really cares either, they already have their ending and trust D&D to finish it.

I doubt it, though the first few chapter of book 7 will be stuff that didn't make it in the final cut of book 6 as has happened previously. I saw a recent article where someone did a statistical analysis of GRRM's page output, and he's actually right in line with the output of most writers, and better than some like Jk Rowling. The only thing slowing him down is the sheer size of these books. If he wants to get them out faster and stay ahead of HBO is to just decide to release the last two books as 4 or 5 smaller books. However, im fine on waiting, id rather they be good than rushed.

I doubt it, yet it actually makes some sense. He could write the last two books in one long chain, and cut it in half and release book 6 while he touches up and perfects the last half for book 7. But that being said, probs not.

Except George doesn't want the books spoiled.

Thats not his choice though. The only thing he can do to stop it is to start writing faster and stay home more and he has shown no signs of doing either. He still works on other projects and travels and he is a slow writer. The books will be spoiled.

Thats not his choice though. The only thing he can do to stop it is to start writing faster and stay home more and he has shown no signs of doing either. He still works on other projects and travels and he is a slow writer. The books will be spoiled.

Actually, it is his choice. Just as the show runners changed events on the show, he can change events in the books.

Actually, it is his choice. Just as the show runners changed events on the show, he can change events in the books.

Hes told them how its ends for everyone already. He isnt just gonna make up a new ending because the show got to it first.

He might have written a few chapters from ADOS here and there, or some from TWOW might get pushed back, but that's about it.

Although I'm confident that ADOS won't take as long to write. I imagine it's a lot easier writing the last book in a series, as a lot of it is just wrapping up loose ends.

He might have written a few chapters from ADOS here and there, or some from TWOW might get pushed back, but that's about it.

Although I'm confident that ADOS won't take as long to write. I imagine it's a lot easier writing the last book in a series, as a lot of it is just wrapping up loose ends.

I agree with this logic. But unfortunately I disagree with the op, hope for the best sure, but plan for the worst. If u don't want the books spoiled don't watch the last few seasons of the show.

Hey there am new here so be kind. I dont know if this has been discussed before in another thred apologies if it has.

I know it might sound ludicrous to some but I have found myself wondering recently if there is a possibility that GRRM is finishing both books at same time.

I read somewhere that GRRM has said that the winds of winter has been an easy book to write so far compared to some of the previous books, which could mean it is a quicker writing process. Also now HBO are making the series they are catching/caught up with the books and there could be a secret deal in place between HBO and GRRM to have both books out by certain dates.

What do you guys think?

I sort of agree. I don't think they'll come out at the same time, but it wouldn't surprise me if, like you said, he and HBO has a release schedule worked out. Much like how DVDs of the most recent season are released right before a new season to let people catch up and increase the visibility of the new season, it wouldn't surprise me if each of the upcoming books are released along with an upcoming season (perhaps even the season that is adapting the book that is being released).

Realistically, he has ~21 months to finish TWOW before the show significantly encroaches on the books. We have almost the entirety of the material from AFFC and ADWD left to go. That will probably cover closer to 1 season than 2, but it should still give him until April of 2016 to get it done. Since TWOW is rumored to be the longest volume yet at ~1500 pages, it and whatever might be left from the previous 2 should get us through until April 2018 which would be the start of season 7 (currently planned last season). So if he has a good deal of material in addition to TWOW at release it might not be a complete pipe dream that he'd stay ahead of the show.

That being said, the current pace suggests that the final book wouldn't come until ~2020, and even that assumes about 4.5 years per remaining volume. I'd say the smart money is the show ends a couple of years before the books.

Realistically, he has ~21 months to finish TWOW before the show significantly encroaches on the books. We have almost the entirety of the material from AFFC and ADWD left to go. That will probably cover closer to 1 season than 2, but it should still give him until April of 2016 to get it done. Since TWOW is rumored to be the longest volume yet at ~1500 pages, it and whatever might be left from the previous 2 should get us through until April 2018 which would be the start of season 7 (currently planned last season). So if he has a good deal of material in addition to TWOW at release it might not be a complete pipe dream that he'd stay ahead of the show.

That being said, the current pace suggests that the final book wouldn't come until ~2020, and even that assumes about 4.5 years per remaining volume. I'd say the smart money is the show ends a couple of years before the books.

Season 7 should be April of 2017. The last digit in the year should be the same as the season that is shown.

Archived