Catelyn's venomous impact on Blackfish

Modelex

“I will permit you to take the black. Ned Stark’s bastard is the Lord Commander on the Wall.”

The Blackfish narrowed his eyes. “Did your father arrange for that as well? Catelyn never trusted the boy, as I recall, no more than she ever trusted Theon Greyjoy. It would seem she was right about them both.”

Why is Catelyn going around and telling people that Jon can't be trusted? What did Jon ever do that would make her think he is in the same league as Theon? I am seriously wondering

Why would Brynden have any love for the bastard child of his niece's husband?

All he said is that she didn't trust Theon and that turned out to be accurate and now another person she didn't trust (being the bastard of her husband) is LC on the wall and he finds that suspect.

I actually think the Blackfish doth protest too much here. The Blackfish, being the closest thing Robb had to a Hand, almost certainly knew that Robb named Jon as his heir, even if he wasn't present for the actual will-signing. As such, it's in his interest to feign a disconnect with and distrust of Jon. If people think that Robb's bannermen intend to crown Jon or rally behind him, that gives them motivation to attack Jon or try to kill him. The Blackfish putting on a show for Jaime's benefit means that the Lannisters won't consider Jon to be in league with the Blackfish or anyone else, and will for the time being leave him alone.

I actually think the Blackfish doth protest too much here. The Blackfish, being the closest thing Robb had to a Hand, almost certainly knew that Robb named Jon as his heir, even if he wasn't present for the actual will-signing. As such, it's in his interest to feign a disconnect with and distrust of Jon. If people think that Robb's bannermen intend to crown Jon or rally behind him, that gives them motivation to attack Jon or try to kill him. The Blackfish putting on a show for Jaime's benefit means that the Lannisters won't consider Jon to be in league with the Blackfish or anyone else, and will for the time being leave him alone.

I hadn't considered this, it's quite convincing.

Though he may have shared similar feelings to Cat just because he's her uncle.

I guess I just missed it but in what book and what chapter did Robb write his will ? Sry

Third book. He wants to name Jon and Catelyn doesn't want him to. He says tough, it's his decision. The chapter ends with him having his bannermen sign off on his choice, and then saying that after the wedding (heh) they'll be heading back north.

Why is Catelyn going around and telling people that Jon can't be trusted? What did Jon ever do that would make her think he is in the same league as Theon? I am seriously wondering

Her irrational paranoia kicking in where Jon is concerned was at work.

Ugh I just wished the Tullys would shut up about Jon all of them, and the Lannisters also.

Not to mention the fact that he's met Ser Rodrik Cassel, and others in and around Winterfell who might have been able to offer another opinion on Jon, we never see him in a discussion with any such person, but we never see Cat mention Jon in his hearing. The Blackfish might think of Robb as a poor judge of character, but he's bound to realize that Cat's opinion of Jon is rather prejudiced, I may misremember, but I think he saw her reaction to Mya? With the lack of reliable information, the Blackfish may choose to reserve judgment on Jon. In the end, I don't believe the Blackfish's declaration of mistrust for Jon is truthful.

Suddenly, the word venomous has become the new adjective for every single thing Catelyn has ever done.

Didn't you know that Catelyn is worse than Ramsay, Gregor, Hitler and Satan combined? It's right there in the books :p

They have been betrayed by everybody they thought to be loyal or at least, honourable: the Freys, the Boltons, Theon. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided simply don't take anybody else for granted any more.

Jon's all the way at the Wall dealing with his own shyt, what could he possibly do to betray his family from that far away? Everybody else has fecked them over what could Jon possibly do at this point to betray the Starks?

And the Blackfish is hearing this from a woman whose husband's bastard lived in their home, there is no biased view there or paranoia at work about her children's inheritance. Because Cat was talking from a non biased view and experience with Jon.

Like I said all Tullys need to shut up about Jon Snow.

Archived