Odd Dawn Reference I Just Spotted

Howlin' Howland

In the American Hardcover version of A Clash of Kings spanning page 250-251 (A Bran Chapter) we have what I think is the first reference to Dawn in the series.

Something his father had told him once when he was little came back to him suddenly. He had asked Lord Eddard if the Kinsguard were truly the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms. "No longer," he answered, "but once they were a marvel, a shining lesson to the world."

"Was there one who was best of all?"

"The finest knight I ever saw was Ser Arthur Dayne, who fought with a blade called Dawn, forged from the heart of a fallen star."

The next page is Catalyn's chapter about the tourney at Bitterbridge. The second sentence of the second paragraph is:

Dawn came cruel, a dagger of light.

I'm not a fan of the theories that Dawn is Lightbringer so I think this was a coincidence. But I wouldn't be shocked if this was GRRM giving us a hint.

Does anyone have an opinion?

I personally prefer the theory that the Night's Watch is Lightbringer, though I could see it literally being a sword, and if that's the case then it could be any Valyrian steel sword.

That being said, I think GRRM didn't have all the details plotted out when he was writing the books in the 90s. He knew from the beginning the broad strokes of the story and the fates and arcs of the major characters, but I don't think he'd pinned down details like where Lightbringer was, or even if it would appear in the series at all (and I don't think that's a bad thing for him to not have those details locked in).

So I actually think there may be something to this line, but it's not a definite fact. Rather, he was leaving it open to interpretation, giving him an avenue to make Lightbringer Dawn if he chose, or not. I think he's done similar things with the location of the Horn of Joramun (is it under the wall? Is it the horn found at the Fist of the First Men? Was it the Horn Mance had that's now with Sam?)

Dawn = Lightbringer is an oft-mentioned possibility. It does make a lot of sense. The Battle for the Dawn. What ends the night (especially a long one)? The coming of Dawn! The bearer is called The Sword of the Morning for crying out loud! Actually that may be too obvious and a total red herring. But Dawn is one of the best contenders for LB.

I like the one that holds that the original Ice is LB.

I also like to think that Dawn is actually the sword of The Great Other.

Light bringer is from far off legend. I prefer the theory that Dawn and the bronze rune armor of the Royce's belonged to the last hero

Well we never heard the end of the Last Hero story. It could include a special sword. The story changed a bit on its way to Asshai, and over the millenia and they came up with "Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes" but the origin of Azor Ahai was most likely the story of the Last Hero. I think Azor Ahai actually is Asshai'i for Last Hero.

Either way, the sword in legendary, There was too much made of it to just be a retrospective plot device.

This is a good point.

"Dawn came cruel, a dagger of light."

The reference could be foreshadowing Renly's murder by the shadow baby.

That wasn't a dagger of light. And I think it was done before dawn, not at dawn.

That wasn't a dagger of light. And I think it was done before dawn, not at dawn.

I was thinking though that Melisandre makes the point that shadows come from the light. She's talked about that on more than one occasion I believe.

Archived