G--DK-ND(BBHN)XI

BranTheBuilder

well, once again the Yearded one has shown his total and uttel lack of uinderstanding of how combat works.

it is EASY to have more than three people attacking a single foe... in fact with good fighters it is Essential; the best fighte I know can only be beaten if you attack with at least 3 friends... and yes, we do not get in each other's way....

eejit.

I'll once again offer to tech him, all he needs do is come to Scotland and I'll feed him, buy him a pint and show him the error of his ways... one afternoon's training with us and he'll undserstand...

eejit.

Thus spoke the Highlander :rofl:

But sadly, I must concur :(

Terry (BBHN) has no bloody idea about how 30 swordsman can overwhelm a single opponent.

Apparently, "Du Chaillu" is her name. There are no "first names" and "last names" in the Baka Ban Mana. This confused Richard as well. It was a few QOTDs ago.

Oh right, I remember now. I even commented on that dialogue. Goes to show how little an impression Goodkind leaves with me.

Terry (BBHN) has no bloody idea about how 30 swordsman can overwhelm a single opponent.

Another thing that bothers me is that the Baka Ban Mana are supposed to be great sword fighters (for some reason, I seem to recall thinking of them as ninjas), and thus would be fighting as individuals: I don't believe that swordsmen fight in a totally concerted effort (a la Roman legions, or gigantic Imperial centipedes). So, why didn't these individuals manage to beat Richard? Is it because they were a collection of individuals, which makes them worse than a single individual, or is it because Richard is the MOST individual, and no one is able to be individual enough to beat him?

So confused....

Why are you all still discussing the details of this? I gave you the answer several posts ago. Just so you all understand it is thus:

"I am a war wizard, remember?"

- Richard Rhal

The details ARE irrelevant. This is why all TG fight sequences are described in such little bit here, little bit there style. All the reader gets is an overview of the fight which 99% of the time equals "Richard danced with death, a cut off head went flying, some blood sprayed, Richard did a deadly dance with death and did not fall off the razors edge. All enemies fall down dead because Richard is Right."

Think of it like a ballet; Richard in his tight tights (part of the War Wizard Outfit [tm]) pirouetting round the battlefield with his magical super sharp sword, as the orchestra plays a delicate waltz; fountains of blood stream out into the audience, who all fall to their knees and weep at the beauty of it.

The death of a communist centipede is a beautiful thing, and we should all rejoice at the poetry of these descriptions. Mundane details of swords hacking through bone, shrieks of the dying, festering stomach wounds etc have no place in the glory that is Richard. Leave that to Jagang, when he's finished his raping.

So I was wandering about a Super Walmart this weekend with a fraternity brother and we were going through the book section and I spotted the new paperback HP book and saw it was a couple bucks cheaper than the copy I got my wife...

Then we talked books for a couple minutes and he commented on how he had to get the latest TG and get through that...my houwls were heard a couple sections over...I don't think I was able to convince him that they were terrible.

Oddly enough though, he read them because he enjoyed them, not because he liked, or even realized, that GK was beating him over the head with philosophy.

So either my friend's really dumb, or TG isn't getting the message across like he thought.

Either your friend is really dumb, or he has some sort of jedi mind trick that prevents his brain from being penetrated by TG's crap. The fact that he enjoys it though....hmmm, I think he's just dumb. Get new friends.

HA! Poor unenlightened fool! Why would TG (BBNC) care? He's writing about the characters and the nobility of the human spirit (and goats!). Climatological and biological accuracy, they don't matter, because the story isn't about them and are therefore unimportant.

Even more than that, logic, internal conherence, and common sense are all things found in fantasy novels. Of course, Terry does not write fantasy, but rather books about the nobility of torture for fun.

Jaxom, I would say, as one who has attempted (and hopefully succeeded) in turning those close to them away from Yeardi - you need to show your friend some choice pieces of QotD.

For me, I had to give my roommate a run-down of the plot points of Phantom. He did not believe me, and read Phantom. With the seed of doubt planted, all the people have to do is read SoT, and they'll hopefully notice it for themselves. When I was reading NE and Phantom, I would unconsciously go Oh shit, another speech, and skip ahead. But once I noticed what was going on, I corrected my behaviour and thinking, and now consider myself to be normal once again.

The other thing you can do is show them TG's quote about people who liked his books, and stopped reading them, and how they are people who hate freedom.

I actually had a similar friend, Jaxom. Didn't remember the peace protest slaughter, or the ridiculous speeches and hypocrisy, or the evil chicken. Once reminded of them, and read the QotD, he started thinking about why he actually liked the books in the first place.

I would just like to quote for you the little piece of homespun philosophy that appears at teh beginning of Phantom.

"Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves"

Hmm, I think he's onto us! What kind of author puts a message at the beginning of their books just for the people who have bought it for a laugh? Next he'll be doing an Anne Rice and having Richard say things like "And for anyone who thought Imy speeches were too long in the last book, well, you're wrong, and furthermore..."<snip>

Others had used the Sword of Truth’s magic, and in the bargain, the magic retained a memory of their talents at fighting, of every move in which it had ever been used. The talent of untold hundreds who had wielded this blade, men and women alike, was there for the taking. The skill of both the good and the wicked was bound into the magic.

Heh, that Sword of Truth sounds exactly like the Sword "du Destin" in "Donjon" (sorry, the English wikipedia article is not so informative), except that every new owner has to cut the head of the previous. The rest, all former owner left their magic in the sword, is exactly the same. This comic is from 1998.

You can always be my tooth fairy ;)

Thank you. ;)

Good morning and welcome to the Monday edition of the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day. I had a blissfully Terry-free weekend, and I drank a lot to boot, hope everyone else here had an equally glorious time.

You drank a lot of boot? MM, I didn't realize just how much TG's SoT have been affecting you, but now I understand how truly horrible it is for you. It has forced you to drinking boot to cope with the QoTD.

“Du Chaillu, I told you the killing must stop.â€

:rofl: He's joking right? We all know with Richard, the killing's just begun.

“Blade, be true this day.†<snicker>

*dies laughing* Does TG have document where he cuts and paste lines from previous books?

But Bran you are overlooking one crucial fact in all this:

"I am a war wizard, remember?"

- Richard Rahl

:D

You've forgotten another: "I'm not a fantasy writer, remember?"

As I've mentioned before, logic and rationality doesn't matter to TG. It's the whole nobility of the human spirit (and goats!). So what if logic dicatates that it's impossible for one man to kill 30 or so people? That's not the point. The point is, Richard, using his moral anger and clarity, successfully defended his right to LIFE from Du Challiu (what kind of STUPID name is this? Is this some kind of tribute to...voodoo?). Because he was fighting for the GOOD and MORAL cause, Richard triumphs. Never mind how he does it. Focus on the lessons. Throw away logic and everything else.

“The Baka Ban Mana are without peer. They have special fighters, blade masters, who train from sunup to sundown, every day. And then they train by the light of the moon. Fighting is almost a religion to them.

Man if religion isn;t something that takes up 20 hours of your day everyday for your entire life. Well then i don't know what is.

Her dark, eyes started up into his. “The Caharin has come.â€

The Cara'Carn has come. HE WHO COMES WITH THE... i mean war wizard.

Well, this is my first post on a Terry Goodkind thread.

I was given Wizard's First Rule about 8 years ago by someone who read it and liked it but when I started I couldn't get past the first 30 pages so have never read him. I put it aside and didn't go back to it. I like epic fantasy and for what it's worth am still fond of Wheel of Time even though it's fallen on hard times and A Song of Ice and Fire.

What I am VERY confused by is the Quote of the Day. They are obviously parodies of Terry Goodkind's writing mocking him but why do people discuss them like they are real? Is this some sort of inside joke?

Please explain. Also, is this the writer that I've heard about dwell in uncomfortable detail on rapes and such?

Thanks for educating me.

Dennis

Sword of the Morning all the Quotes of the Day are real. We also get parodies on this thread, but they will never be labeled Quote of the Day. Goodkind actually wrote this, this is actually in his book.

We also have inside jokes on this thread, like calling Goodkind the Yeard, or Yeardi. Yeard is apparently a slang term for the beard/ponytail combo that Terry sports. Or any jokes about moral celery. Which come from Goodkind's repeated theme of moral clarity in his books. (I think this one was a Spell Check gone array type of thing, Goodkind does not actually mention moral celery anywhere).

He also has an thing about rapes and sex in general. Seriously it's not one of his book with out at least one over the top sex scene, especially on with an animal. :sick:

Anyway hope that helps any questions please ask, and welcome aboard. :D

Archived