Will Most Family Trees Be in the Book?

So last year when I found out about the book I asked if Egg's family was going to be in the book and the answer was yes. But besides the Starks and Targaryens there are other interesting families of course but will they be in the book? Will there be a Whent tree, a Tully tree, a Tyrell tree, an Arryn tree, and even a Martell tree? I don't expect for all of them to be in there but as for minor houses I think that the Whents should be included along with the Hightowers, the Boltons, maybe the Waynewoods, the Estermont's, the Blackfyres, and maybe even the Reynes? So that's my question, and since the Estermont's married the Baratheons and the Tullys married the Whents it might make sense to have those families in there. Thanks for reading.

According to the table of content in the preview, only a Stark and Targaryen tree ;)

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking that the Lannister tree will be in there also after all an admin on the forums did say that there would be a surprising Lannister ancestor. Also the Baratheons will probably be in there too because they are royal by the time the books start.

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking that the Lannister tree will be in there also after all an admin on the forums did say that there would be a surprising Lannister ancestor. Also the Baratheons will probably be in there too because they are royal by the time the books start.

Though a Lannister tree was mentioned on a pamflet-kind of page in the preview PDF, the table of contents did not show one.

The surprising Lannister ancestor can already be found in the ConCarolinas Westerland reading notes

It's

lady Rohanne Webber from The Sworn Sword. She's married to Gerold Lannister, and the grandmother of Tywin, Kevan, Genna, Tygett and Gerion. True, in the notes she's only called

Rohanne , her last name is not mentioned. But it's pretty solid, I'd say, as a match between Gerold and Rohanne was already in discussion during the Sword Sword.

Though a Lannister tree was mentioned on a pamflet-kind of page in the preview PDF, the table of contents did not show one.

The surprising Lannister ancestor can already be found in the ConCarolinas Westerland reading notes

It's

lady Rohanne Webber from The Sworn Sword. She's married to Gerold Lannister, and the grandmother of Tywin, Kevan, Genna, Tygett and Gerion. True, in the notes she's only called

Rohanne , her last name is not mentioned. But it's pretty solid, I'd say, as a match between Gerold and Rohanne was already in discussion during the Sword Sword.

Thank you. This might explain why the Cleganes and the Lannister's get along huh? With the Lady Webber as a common ancestor? But I wonder how the child that she had with Dunk married into the Clegane family?

Thank you. This might explain why the Cleganes and the Lannister's get along huh? With the Lady Webber as a common ancestor? But I wonder how the child that she had with Dunk married into the Clegane family?

There is no child of Rohanne and Dunk.. ;) At least, none that is confirmed. But such a child would require Dunk and Rohanne to meet again at some point, and I'm not sure if that's going to happen

It's

So what happened to House Osgrey then?

Obv Rohanne was probably able to marry again later due to her being a good deal younger than Eustace, but if she's having to split children between 3 different dynasties (Osgrey/Webber/Lannister) I don't see it working out well for Webber and Osgrey lol

Obv Rohanne was probably able to marry again later due to her being a good deal younger than Eustace, but if she's having to split children between 3 different dynasties (Osgrey/Webber/Lannister) I don't see it working out well for Webber and Osgrey lol

One of the children that she had likely married Brienne's ancestor since she found Dunk's shield in her closet. It was thus the baby that Dunk conceived with her before leaving I think.

One of the children that she had likely married Brienne's ancestor since she found Dunk's shield in her closet. It was thus the baby that Dunk conceived with her before leaving I think.

Well excuse me she saw the shield in her father's hall I believe. So her father is/was likely a grandson of Dunk's.

What happened to House Osgrey is unknown, I'm afraid (to us, currently, I have no idea if the World Book tells more about this, but the notes made no mention of it). But Eustace was a lot older than Rohanne (Rohanne was only 25 years old during TSS). Whatever child she had with Eustace (if she had one, which I guess she did otherwise I wouldn't see her leaving Coldmoat) would have been in possession of both Coldmoat and the Osgrey lands, as that child would be the heir to both. It is also possible that Rohanne gave the lands to the Crown, if she decided that CR was a bigger price. Because Gerold, by the time of their marriage, was the Lord of Casterly Rock, no longer the mere brother and advisor of the Lord of Casterly Rock.

Ehm.. Dunk and Rohanne never had sex. There was no child conceived there.

That Brienne found Dunks shield does suggest that she might have been a legitimate descendent of Dunk.

Well excuse me she saw the shield in her father's hall I believe. So her father is/was likely a grandson of Dunk's.

As I said, that Brienne found Dunks shield does suggest that she might have been a legitimate descendent of Dunk. We don't know when Dunk joined the KG, so it's possible that he had been married before joining the KG (and that he thus only joined after his wife had died). Aegon V got married around 220AC (his second born son was born in 222/223AC), so by then there would be no strolling around the 7K with Egg.

That possible marriage of Dunk (which thus would not have been to Rohanne, who would by then be married by Gerold and have had several of his sons by then) could have led to a daughter, who married a Selwyn of Tarth.

As to the Cleganes... Not every tall person in the 7K descents from Dunk ;)

THE NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN HISTORY OF WESTEROS AND THE LANDS BEYOND • WITH HUNDREDS OF PAGES OF ALL-NEW MATERIAL FROM GEORGE R. R. MARTIN

If the past is prologue, then George R. R. Martin’s masterwork—the most inventive and entertaining fantasy saga of our time—warrants one hell of an introduction. At long last, it has arrived with The World of Ice & Fire.

This lavishly illustrated volume is a comprehensive history of the Seven Kingdoms, providing vividly constructed accounts of the epic battles, bitter rivalries, and daring rebellions that lead to the events of A Song of Ice and Fire and HBO’s Game of Thrones. In a collaboration that’s been years in the making, Martin has teamed with Elio M. García, Jr., and Linda Antonsson, the founders of the renowned fan site Westeros.org—perhaps the only people who know this world almost as well as its visionary creator.

Collected here is all the accumulated knowledge, scholarly speculation, and inherited folk tales of maesters and septons, maegi and singers, including

• full-color artwork and maps, with more than 170 original pieces
• full family trees for Houses Stark, Lannister, and Targaryen
• in-depth explorations of the history and culture of Westeros
• 100% all-new material, more than half of which Martin wrote specifically for this book

The definitive companion piece to George R. R. Martin’s dazzlingly conceived universe, The World of Ice & Fire is indeed proof that the pen is mightier than a storm of swords.

(I found this on the World's amazon page. So Lannister will likely be in there.) Who know's though? :dunno:

(I found this on the World's amazon page. So Lannister will likely be in there.) Who know's though? :dunno:

Indeed, that text was also in the preview with the table of content. However, the table of content itself did not show a Lannister tree, only a Stark and Targaryen tree. I asked about it in the appropriate thread to those who would know, but received no answer.

So the way I see it there are two possibilities:

1) either the table of contents we've seen is also an unfinished product, and the Lannister tree still has to be edited in.

2) or the amazon text (commercial text) is wrong, and based on old information.

I'm hoping it's the second option, of course :) Though if it is the second option that is correct, perhaps it is good to know that a Lannister tree can be made rather complete by using the chapter of the Westerlands, according to the notes that were taken from the Westerland reading at ConCarolinas. At the moment, we can trace the line all the was from Damon Lannister (the Grey Lion from the Hedge Knight) to Cersei and her kids. That's more than 100 years worth of Lannister :)

I say we'll get a Lannister family tree. But then, what the hell do I know...? I'd still find it much more fitting if we got a Baratheon family tree.

On Rohanne:

Well, my guess is that Rohanne and Eustace may have had a son who inherited the Osgrey and Webber lands, and eventually chose to back the Black Dragon instead of the Red - leading to one of his descendants to end up as an exile in Essos and appearing in ADwD (although some people suggest that this guy may be descended from Rohanne's cousin).

Now, it's true that Ser Eustace will not be around long enough to feed his son any stories about the great Daemon Blackfyre, but my guess is that Rohanne's son by Eustace will not exactly like her marriage to Lord Gerold, and if he feels a stranger at Casterly Rock throughout his childhood/youth (he would accompany his mother while being a child/youth and live with her), and is finally sent back to Coldmoat to take over the lands of his mother on his 16th nameday he may be somewhat bitter.

Thus I could see him being among the five people or so who rose for Daemon III Blackfyre in 236 AC (six years after Rohanne's death/disappearance).

Why it seems that everyone assumes that Ser Eustace is not going to live long? I don't think we are never given his exact age in THK, but her sons were all called "boys" when they died at the Redgrass Field and the youngest is said to be 12. The two older ones were knights, so them being 19 and 17 would be perfectly possible. If Eustace had fathered the first one at 20, he would be 39 at the Redgrass Field and 55 during THK. Plenty of time to father a son and fill his head with stories about the king who should have been.

Rohanne and Gerold had four sons. The twins, Tytos, and Jason, and Jason was nine years younger than Tytos. Rohanne also disappeared in 230 AC, so there is not that much time. Even more importantly, Gerold's twins were old enough to participate in the battle at Starpike which killed Maekar, and the double wedding between the younger twin/Alyn and Tytos/Jeyne only occurred in 235 AC.

All this means the twins must have been born before 220 AC, with Tytos easily been born in that year, and Jason in 229/30, shortly before Rohanne's disappearance.

Are we sure that Gerold's four sons are all Rohanne's? I think that at least the twins, and perhaps even Tytos, could have been from Gerold's first wife. (Jason being Rohanne's only son would explain the nine year difference between him and Tytos).

HoW's report doesn't clarify it one way or another.

It's not confirmed, but heavily implied. And Ran's remark about 'the surprising Lannister ancestor' would be somewhat dull if only the Lannister siblings were descended from Rohanne (through Joanna and Jason), whereas Tywin and Tytos would be the descendants of Gerold's unknown first wife.

Thus I'd go with the assumption that all four sons of Gerold's are Rohanne's.

Archived