Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

IIRC MMD at least implied that Dany can't deliver a living child. I thought she wouldn't even be able to conceive. But it seems she can. She's young. Think of all the miscarriages and stillbirths that can happen. I think she ends up eventually going MAD. Is she even aware of the miscarriage at the end of ADwD?

IIRC MMD at least implied that Dany can't deliver a living child. I thought she wouldn't even be able to conceive. But it seems she can. She's young. Think of all the miscarriages and stillbirths that can happen. I think she ends up eventually going MAD. Is she even aware of the miscarriage at the end of ADwD?

The prophecy:

“When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east,” said Mirri Maz Duur. “When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.”

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east: Quentyn Martell, a sun of Dorne, was born in the west (rises in the west) and died in the east (sets in the east).

When the seas go dry: when Dany has left Meereen, she notices how the Dothraki Sea is all dried up and dying

and mountains blow in the wind like leaves: two of Meereens pyramids crumble and collapse because of Viserions and Rhaegels rampaging.

When your womb quickens again: If it truly wasn't a normal menstruation, Dany might have indeed had a miscarriage, meaning that her womb had quickened.

And you bear a living child: This is the tricky one. Either this part of the prophecy is fullfilled by the birth of Dany's dragons, who she calls her children, or by freeing all the slaves, becomming their mother (Mysha), or this part of the prophecy hasn't come true yet.

Then he will return and not before: As Dany is sick and alone, she slowly realises again who she is. A Targaryen, who lives by the words of fire and blood. And when Dany realises again who she truly is, Drogon, named after Drogo, returns to her (and not before...).

Another possibility is that she will birth a living child later on in the series, whom she'll name Drogo, fullfilling the prophecy as well.

Dany's thoughts seem to think that she's simply experiencing sickness and a menstruation. She doesn't seem to realise that this might have been a pregnancy, even though she tries to recall when her last period was, "1 month, 2 months, 3 months? No, it cannot have been that long". She fails in recalling it, eventually.

Personally I think MMD was just talking a load of tosh and rubbing salt in Dany's wounds by telling her Drogo would return when she bore a living child. I don't believe she is barren, but Mirri felt the need to be even more vindictive than she had been already and imply she was. But that is just my.interpretation of it.

No, Dany isn't aware that it was a miscarriage, though she knotes she hasn't had her period in a couple of.months. That doesn't mean she is.mad though, I dont really follow your train of thought there. Especially if she has been told she is barren - if she thinks she cant bear a child, she is hardly going to expect a miscarriage. Sure, at the time she is not really "lucid", having been half starved and severely dehydrated and possibly suffering with the Pale.Mare for days, but mad? You would have to explain your reasoning to me.

I can't recall any others...

And I know Arthur Dayne isn't considered a Prince. But it would be ironic if the Prince in the song was Arthur Dayne...so Arya would pretty much be saying Ashara should kill her Father.

I did think it was cute when she unknowingly hoped for her own death.

The prophecy:

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east: Quentyn Martell, a sun of Dorne, was born in the west (rises in the west) and died in the east (sets in the east).

When the seas go dry: when Dany has left Meereen, she notices how the Dothraki Sea is all dried up and dying

and mountains blow in the wind like leaves: two of Meereens pyramids crumble and collapse because of Viserions and Rhaegels rampaging.

When your womb quickens again: If it truly wasn't a normal menstruation, Dany might have indeed had a miscarriage, meaning that her womb had quickened.

And you bear a living child: This is the tricky one. Either this part of the prophecy is fullfilled by the birth of Dany's dragons, who she calls her children, or by freeing all the slaves, becomming their mother (Mysha), or this part of the prophecy hasn't come true yet.

Then he will return and not before: As Dany is sick and alone, she slowly realises again who she is. A Targaryen, who lives by the words of fire and blood. And when Dany realises again who she truly is, Drogon, named after Drogo, returns to her (and not before...).

Another possibility is that she will birth a living child later on in the series, whom she'll name Drogo, fullfilling the prophecy as well.

Dany's thoughts seem to think that she's simply experiencing sickness and a menstruation. She doesn't seem to realise that this might have been a pregnancy, even though she tries to recall when her last period was, "1 month, 2 months, 3 months? No, it cannot have been that long". She fails in recalling it, eventually.

Drogon also obeys her commands in flight after that.

Personally I think MMD was just talking a load of tosh and rubbing salt in Dany's wounds by telling her Drogo would return when she bore a living child. I don't believe she is barren, but Mirri felt the need to be even more vindictive than she had been already and imply she was. But that is just my.interpretation of it.

No, Dany isn't aware that it was a miscarriage, though she knotes she hasn't had her period in a couple of.months. That doesn't mean she is.mad though, I dont really follow your train of thought there. Especially if she has been told she is barren - if she thinks she cant bear a child, she is hardly going to expect a miscarriage. Sure, at the time she is not really "lucid", having been half starved and severely dehydrated and possibly suffering with the Pale.Mare for days, but mad? You would have to explain your reasoning to me.

I was thinking it would be much easier to accept if she couldn't conceive. And I meant she goes Mad years later, after gaining the IT. That she can conceive gives her false hope. I was thinking the sorrowful heartaches from the multiple failed pregnancies along with the stress and pressure from the job eventually makes her very cold and bitter. Then it develops into the Taergaryen Madness and she becomes her father and then here we go again.

Why isn't Thoros burning people as offerings? Victarion is being advised by Moqorro. Victarion is new to the religion and already started the burning spree with 7 women simultaneously. Mel burns people and now Stannis can't rest for five minutes without one of his men begging for an offering. No! Pray harder! Think of all the Freyes and other enemies the BWB are punishing by hanging instead of burning. Thoros likely didn't try to burn Brienne or Pod. I don't think the red god religion is about tossing people in fires left and right or forcing the religion on everyone. I think some are practicing an extreme manipulative barbaric version of it. And I think Thoros knows. Thoros gives life with his version and he doesn't seem to try to throw his religion all over his companions. Are there any instances of Thoros participating in or approving of the burning sacrifice practice?

Why isn't Thoros burning people as offerings? Victarion is being advised by Moqorro. Victarion is new to the religion and already started the burning spree with 7 women simultaneously. Mel burns people and now Stannis can't rest for five minutes without one of his men begging for an offering. No! Pray harder! Think of all the Freyes and other enemies the BWB are punishing by hanging instead of burning. Thoros likely didn't try to burn Brienne or Pod. I don't think the red god religion is about tossing people in fires left and right or forcing the religion on everyone. I think some are practicing an extreme manipulative barbaric version of it. And I think Thoros knows. Thoros gives life with his version and he doesn't seem to try to throw his religion all over his companions. Are there any instances of Thoros participating in or approving of the burning sacrifice practice?

This isn't a small question. Have you found this thread?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/113641-wow-i-never-noticed-that-v-6/

Can somebody explain the truth on the matter where was young Robert Arryn supposed to go to be fostered? I am still confusing it in the books, who was it really, Tywin, Stannis or somebody else. Who is lying?

Can somebody explain the truth on the matter where was young Robert Arryn supposed to go to be fostered? I am still confusing it in the books, who was it really, Tywin, Stannis or somebody else. Who is lying?

Stannis and Tywin were fighting over him. Lysa had no intention of giving him up to anyone

While my re-read is crawling very slowly, I noticed this. Cat of the Canals overhears Dareon sing:

AFfC 34 Cat Of The Canals

I cannot remember clearly but thing I probably missed that this fits the fate of Ashara Dayne after the death of Prince Rhaegar and Brandon, heir to Winterfell who might also be considered a Prince.

Side note: Arya's judgement of being stupid is far off the mark, most of the time. For Ashara fans this may be as good as saying Ashara was a shrewd one.

The further thought occurs that Aerys sent Lewyn to take command of the Dornishmen coming up the Kingsroad.

That is a good opportunity for either news/secret knowledge to arrive in KL about the TOJ, to certain parties.

Or, for someone who may have been in KL to leave with Lewyn, namely, Ashara. She was, as has been said, not nailed to the floor in Starfall.

Jon Arryn discovered the truth about Cersei together. In response, Jon was planing on sending Lysa back to the Eyrie, and Robert to Dragonstone, so he could be fostered by Stannis. These plans were told only to his own household, however. Then Jon died, and King Robert, seeing how weak his little namesake was, decided that the boy needed to be away from his mother, so he asked Tywin, who accepted.

One arrangement was made before Jon died, the other after, but only Lysa was aware of both. That's why she fled KL so quickly. She had saved her son from a life on Dragonstone, she didn't want to lose him to the Lannisters.

Jon Arryn discovered the truth about Cersei together. In response, Jon was planing on sending Lysa back to the Eyrie, and Robert to Dragonstone, so he could be fostered by Stannis. These plans were told only to his own household, however. Then Jon died, and King Robert, seeing how weak his little namesake was, decided that the boy needed to be away from his mother, so he asked Tywin, who accepted.

One arrangement was made before Jon died, the other after, but only Lysa was aware of both. That's why she fled KL so quickly. She had saved her son from a life on Dragonstone, she didn't want to lose him to the Lannisters.

Thanks, I was not able to put it together like that. Especially the fact that one arrangement was made before Jon's death and the other after. I wonder what would have happened had Robert gone with Stannis to be fostered. The Vale might have gone to his side during Wot5K.

Thanks, I was not able to put it together like that. Especially the fact that one arrangement was made before Jon's death and the other after. I wonder what would have happened had Robert gone with Stannis to be fostered. The Vale might have gone to his side during Wot5K.

Or Lysa would have killed Stannis too..

Important to know that King Robert was not aware of Jons previous arrangements

Jon was going to send him to Dragonstone. Petyr used that to get Lysa to kill Jon. Then Robert arranged for him to go to Casterly Rock. So Lysa fled with him to the Eyrie.

True, that's where he obeying begins. That would fit in with the interpretation that Dany's living children are either her drahons or the freed slaves.

There can be only one... stallion that mounts the world. The dragon is jealous!

Archived