Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

Jon was going to send him to Dragonstone. Petyr used that to get Lysa to kill Jon. Then Robert arranged for him to go to Casterly Rock. So Lysa fled with him to the Eyrie.

And not forgetting of course, Walder Frey sticking his oar into the soup and offering to foster him too :)

It had been twelve days since the elk had collapsed for the third and final time, since Coldhands had knelt beside it in the snowbank and murmured a blessing in some strange tongue as he slit its throat.
(Bran II, ADwD)

I am trying to work out a theory about who cold hands is based around him being able to speak either the old tongue or true tongue. How long ago was the Old tongue spoken by the first men? Or are there any records of a human being able to speak true tongue-- language of the cotf

It had been twelve days since the elk had collapsed for the third and final time, since Coldhands had knelt beside it in the snowbank and murmured a blessing in some strange tongue as he slit its throat.(Bran II, ADwD)

I am trying to work out a theory about who cold hands is based around him being able to speak either the old tongue or true tongue. How long ago was the Old tongue spoken by the first men? Or are there any records of a human being able to speak true tongue-- language of the cotf

Giants, the Thenn and Mance can speak the Old Tongue. According to the text, no human can speak the True Tongue but ravens could.

Giants, the Thenn and Mance can speak the Old Tongue. According to the text, no human can speak the True Tongue but ravens could.

Leathers (NW brother) speaks the old tongue. He translates between the giant Wun and Jon... half the wilding horde speaks only the old tongue.

"Half the wildling host had lived all their lives without so much as a glimpse of the Wall, Jon judged, and most of those spoke no word of the Common Tongue. It did not matter. Mance Rayder spoke the Old Tongue, even sang in it, fingering his lute and filling the night with strange wild music."--aFfC

Leathers (NW brother) speaks the old tongue. He translates between the giant Wun and Jon... half the wilding horde speaks only the old tongue.

"Half the wildling host had lived all their lives without so much as a glimpse of the Wall, Jon judged, and most of those spoke no word of the Common Tongue. It did not matter. Mance Rayder spoke the Old Tongue, even sang in it, fingering his lute and filling the night with strange wild music."--aFfC

Indeed, some of the wildlings can still speak the Old Tongue.

I've just re-read the Purple Wedding, and I have some questions.

1) Before the wedding, Sansa and Dontos had agreed to rejoin in the godswood. But what was the signal? Did Sansa know Joffrey was to be killed, or did she had to wait for a disturbance, a diversion?

2) Who was Oswell?

Fifty yards downriver, a man sat in a small skiff, half-hidden by the remains of a great galley that had gone aground there and burned. Dontos limped up to him, puffing. "Oswell?"

"No names," the man said. "In the boat." He sat hunched over his oars, an old man, tall and gangling, with long white hair and a great hooked nose, with eyes shaded by a cowl. "Get in, be quick about it," he muttered. "We need to be away."

(...)

The oarsman was old, but stronger than he looked, and his voice was fierce. There was something oddly familiar about his face, though Sansa could not say what it was.

At first, I though he was Lothor Brune, and that Sansa only recognized him when he held a torch on the desk, but Brune is described as small, and the oarsman as tall.

3) Littlefinger about Dontos :

"All he did he did at my behest. I dared not befriend you openly. When I heard how you saved his life at Joff's tourney, I knew he would be the perfect catspaw."

So Littlefinger planned to abduct Sansa as soon as the beginning of Clash?!

1) Before the wedding, Sansa and Dontos had agreed to rejoin in the godswood. But what was the signal? Did Sansa know Joffrey was to be killed, or did she had to wait for a disturbance, a diversion?

2) Who was Oswell?

At first, I though he was Lothor Brune, and that Sansa only recognized him when he held a torch on the desk, but Brune is described as small, and the oarsman as tall.

The man in the boat is the Father of the Kettleblack brothers. He has been in LF's service for years. There is a big reveal in the Baelish castle when Peter is trying to show Sansa how clever he is.

OK I've asked this before but I don't remember getting a satisfactory answer.

In a feast for crows when Brienne is wounded and feverish, she asks Gendry what happened to Dog. We know she is talking about Septon Maribald's dog, but Gendry thinks she is talking about the Hound/Rorge. He looks puzzled and says something like "twas you who killed the dog, my Lady"

So why doesn't Gendry know about Dog? It doesn't make sense to me... any answers out there?

2) Who was Oswell?

3) Yeap.

OK I've asked this before but I don't remember getting a satisfactory answer.

In a feast for crows when Brienne is wounded and feverish, she asks Gendry what happened to Dog. We know she is talking about Septon Maribald's dog, but Gendry thinks she is talking about the Hound/Rorge. He looks puzzled and says something like "twas you who killed the dog, my Lady"

So why doesn't Gendry know about Dog? It doesn't make sense to me... any answers out there?

Were the two ever introduced? I don't recall Maribald saying to Gendry, "Young man, this is my dog, Dog. Dog, this young man is Gendry."

Were the two ever introduced? I don't recall Maribald saying to Gendry, "Young man, this is my dog, Dog. Dog, this young man is Gendry."

Yes but Gendry saw Septon Maribald and dog (they make a point that Gendry didn't pray with him). Maribald and dog were Brienne's companions. Why would he be so puzzled that Brienne was asking about her companions.

I don't understand why Gendry thinks she is talking about Rorge when he is clearly not Sandor Clegane and even then Sandor was most often referred to as "the Hound" (although occasionally as "Joffrey's Dog", I'll grant)

Yes but Gendry saw Septon Maribald and dog (they make a point that Gendry didn't pray with him). Maribald and dog were Brienne's companions. Why would he be so puzzled that Brienne was asking about her companions.

I don't understand why Gendry thinks she is talking about Rorge when he is clearly not Sandor Clegane and even then Sandor was most often referred to as "the Hound" (although occasionally as "Joffrey's Dog", I'll grant)

As to Dog=the Hound, you answered your own question. Gendry may have seen the dog, but he wouldn't necessarily know the name Maribald had given the beast.

As to Dog=the Hound, you answered your own question. Gendry may have seen the dog, but he wouldn't necessarily know the name Maribald had given the beast.

Sure but here's the exact quote:

"Podrick. My squire. Where is Podrick? And the others... Ser Hyle, Septon Meribald. Dog. What did you do with Dog?"

So she's talking about Dog in the context of her other companions.

Sure but here's the exact quote:

So she's talking about Dog in the context of her other companions.

Right, but I'm assuming that Gendry doesn't know anyone named, or beast called, Dog. So the first thing he thinks of is the Hound.

Anyone think that the Essos version of the wall lies near the Valryian ruins in the Smoking Sea?

I'm thinking people don't necessarily disappear from there rather are protecting the realm with the help of dragons from a even fiercer foe.

Something powerful still lies there beyond a sword or whatnot. I just don't think it was ever completely destroyed by the "doom", more so cut-off and had to fend for themselves for quite some time.

Maybe the doom was the south version of the long winter.

I do not recall a signal. But since Dontos was present at the wedding, his prlolonged absence might be a signal. Or more likely, "when the dancing is done and you have time to withdraw for a minute" or some such point in time.

I remember the time we had no telephone(s), when we had watches to make appointments.

I remember when we were younger and did not even have watches, we were still great at making appointments ("just after lunch").

Archived