Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

While my re-read is crawling very slowly, I noticed this. Cat of the Canals overhears Dareon sing:

He is a man of the Night's Watch, she thought, as he sang about some stupid lady throwing herself off some stupid tower because her stupid prince was dead. The lady should go kill the ones who killed her prince. And the singer should be on the Wall.

AFfC 34 Cat Of The Canals

I cannot remember clearly but thing I probably missed that this fits the fate of Ashara Dayne after the death of Prince Rhaegar and Brandon, heir to Winterfell who might also be considered a Prince.

Side note: Arya's judgement of being stupid is far off the mark, most of the time. For Ashara fans this may be as good as saying Ashara was a shrewd one.

Small question: are there any more stories of Ladies jumping from towers in ASOIAF besides Ashara's fate?

While my re-read is crawling very slowly, I noticed this. Cat of the Canals overhears Dareon sing:

I cannot remember clearly but thing I probably missed that this fits the fate of Ashara Dayne after the death of Prince Rhaegar and Brandon, heir to Winterfell who might also be considered a Prince.

Side note: Arya's judgement of being stupid is far off the mark, most of the time. For Ashara fans this may be as good as saying Ashara was a shrewd one.

Small question: are there any more stories of Ladies jumping from towers in ASOIAF besides Ashara's fate?

I can't recall any others...

And I know Arthur Dayne isn't considered a Prince. But it would be ironic if the Prince in the song was Arthur Dayne...so Arya would pretty much be saying Ashara should kill her Father.

This may be the basis for the theory that princess Elia had a stillborn son and exchanged it with Ashara's healthy son.

Queen Helaena Targaryen threw herself from Maegor's after Blood and Cheese slit her son Prince Jaehaerys' s throat.

This makes more sense, and would have also been possible since she had a dragon.

This may be the basis for the theory that princess Elia had a stillborn son and exchanged it with Ashara's healthy son.

omg...

This makes more sense, and would have also been possible since she had a dragon.

Wouldn't risk calling a Queen "a lady" though, even if she is a long time dead.

I can't recall any others...

And I know Arthur Dayne isn't considered a Prince. But it would be ironic if the Prince in the song was Arthur Dayne...so Arya would pretty much be saying Ashara should kill her Father.

Rhaegar was not related to Ashara..He chose Lyanna. The only families allowed to call their heirs princes are Dornish.., If Ashara was the princess in the story her brother (prince) Arthur would be only person that could lay claim (a claim laid aside as a member of the KG, However, at the time Ashara killed herself her brother was no longer KG--vows for life--) to that title.

It does appear to be ironic after all.

Rhaegar was not related to Ashara..He chose Lyanna. The only families allowed to call their heirs princes are Dornish.., If Ashara was the princess in the story her brother (prince) Arthur would be only person that could lay claim (a claim laid aside as a member of the KG, However, at the time Ashara killed herself her brother was no longer KG--vows for life--) to that title.

It does appear to be ironic after all.

Life isn't like a song.. Perhaps the singers modified the story a little (making a prince out of a lordling)

The song Dareon sings never mentions a princess, only a lady.

Life isn't like a song.. Perhaps the singers modified the story a little (making a prince out of a lordling)

The song Dareon sings never mentions a princess, only a lady.

Quite right there good person...

If the lady was Ashara Dayne... Arya thought the Lady should have killed Ned rather than throw herself from the tower...

Who was the father of the child that Dany miscarried? Who's the daddy?

Miscarried gets me startled.

1) In A Game of Thrones, Khal Drogo is the father of the unborn child named Rhaego. Rhaego, we are being told, was stillborn and malformed.

2) In A Dance with Dragons, we see what may be a miscarriage or abortion when Dany errs through the dried up Dothraki Sea, eats possibly poisonous stuff and is bleeding from her womb.

Who's the daddy? I'd think Daario Naharis would qualify, if this was supposed to be a mundane, a non-magical pregnancy.

Miscarried gets me startled.

1) In A Game of Thrones, Khal Drogo is the father of the unborn child named Rhaego. Rhaego, we are being told, was stillborn and malformed.

2) In A Dance with Dragons, we see what may be a miscarriage or abortion when Dany errs through the dried up Dothraki Sea, eats possibly poisonous stuff and is bleeding from her womb.

Who's the daddy? I'd think Daario Naharis would qualify, if this was supposed to be a mundane, a non-magical pregnancy.

Hizdhar qualifies too

Who was the father of the child that Dany miscarried? Who's the daddy?

You mean the child she might have miscarried at the end of Dance? Either Hizdhar or Daario.

Quite right there good person...

If the lady was Ashara Dayne... Arya thought the Lady should have killed Ned rather than throw herself from the tower...

That sounds like the kind of irony that GRRM might indeed put in his books..

I'd say that (if the song is indeed about Ashara and Arthur) the singers thus made it a bit more romantic.. Instead of losing a brother, the lady lost her romantic interest, and to make in additionally romantic, the love interest was a prince, not a mere knight..

*sigh* singers..

I originally thought that the story might have been about Ashara and Brandon, the (possible) lover who she lost. But I now think that if Ashara and Brandon had a relationship, it would have been a secret one, not known to the broad public (which seems to be supported by the fact that those who grew up at Starfall don't seem to suspect any such relationship). So if the song indeed is about Ashara, than the role of "the prince" wasn't fullfilled by Brandon.

I don't know about GRRM, but Ran indicates here and here that the Starks were loyal to the Targaryens after the conquest.

Plus they seemed to back the female claimant above the male when contention arose. :) The Dance of Dragons kind of demonstrates their loyalty, what with Lord Manderly.sending his two sons and Roddy with his Winter Wolves.

There is also possibility of Ashara Dayne being Prince Lewyn's paramour, the one that Barristan mentions.

Archived