What's going to happen to Arya?

CannibalCommando

So, I've only read a couple of chapters of Arya being at the House of Black and White, but I both love and hate where it's going. It occurred to me that like any creepy organisation/assassins' cult, there's going to be some sort of "test" to see if she's truly became no one.

I was discussing it with a friend, and we dread the idea that she might be asked to kill Jon, to prove that she's cut ties with her past (and that she can infiltrate somewhere like Castle Black and kill the head honcho).

Any ideas/theories on what you think she'll eventually have to do for them, and where her story's going?

I'm aware that my theory could become embarrassingly redundant in ADwD, but it's fun to theorise with these books.

I never really got the impression that she is going to have to take out someone like Jon Snow to prove herself. I feel like her ultimate sacrifice will be to let go of being Arya Stark. (just my opinion of course)

I'm really interested to see how her being a warg will affect her journey in her service to the House of Black & White. Arya Stark was a warg...can No One be a warg as well? Or will she lose that part of herself, perhaps losing that connection with Nymeria along the way.

Im with you though, its a love/hate in regard to where her character might be heading.

I feel like if she's never going to fully become No One, warging would be the reason. I feel like Needle and Nymeria will be what allow her to hold a small amount of herself left somewhere inside.

If she does become No One completely, then I don't think she'll be able to warg with Nymeria again.

And the reason I think she'll have to go for Jon is because I doubt they'll just trust that she's No One. I reckon there has to be something they have to do to prove themselves (once again, I'm only half way through AFfC, if she's already been told what she has to do, I apologise).

I don't think they would make her kill to become a No one. And I don't think they would need to give Arya a test in order to prove that she's a No one. The Kindly man can tell when she's lying or not and if she believes if she's a No one or not. So, I think that that's all the Kindly man needs to prove if Arya's a No one or not.

I think like you said that she wouldn't be able to fully become No One because of being a warg. Then, she'll figure out she's a warg and it'll go from there. So, I think this whole No One plot is just her figuring out that she's a warg. She thinks she's trying to become No One but instead she's going to leave actually being someone and knowing exactly who she is. I guess that makes sense because this whole series she's been changing her identity and not really knowing who she was and now she's finally going to have it figured out.

I hope that's what happens because I don't want her to loose Arya. I like her journey to become No One, but I don't actually want her to become No One. :frown5:

The idea of it all being set-up for her becoming a full-blown warg is interesting. Maybe she could finally be reunited with Nymeria. That would be so awesome.

I don't want her to become No One either, but GRRM likes doing what we don't want him too. He feeds on our shock and sadness.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya is being tested all the time by The Kindly Man. Sending her on some ultimate test seems unnecessary.

According to information floating around Westeros (KL), The Starks are all gone. Ned - Bran & Rickon - Robb & Catelyn - Sansa. Jon's name is Snow not Stark, and he's doomed on The Wall anyway. Everyone who goes to The Wall is doomed. This is known.

Currently, Arya only dreams of wolves. She doesn't realise she is a warg. I don't feel she's ready to mention it to anyone because, to her, they are only dreams as vivid as they are. She's not been asked about what she dreams while she's asleep.

As a side-step.... Sansa doesn't have Lady any longer. Has that affected her ability to warg? She's never mentioned dreams of wolves, has she?

Robb had wolf-dreams without recognising any warg ability. Perhaps someone else did which prompted Grey Wind's departure when Robb was assassinated.

Jon has been told, by the wildlings, that he can change into Ghost's skin. He's not worked out how far he can go with it yet.

Bran's really getting into it now. He's also finding out he needs to come back or else.

Rickon? He just likes Shaggy. Plus, he knows Shaggy is a protector, as Osha is.

Had a think now! It could be that Arya returns to Westeros and finds Nymeria. How will Nymeria react? Will she have remembered Arya had to send her away to save her from Joff? I think Nymeria would've fought against Arya changing into her skin, and she hasn't done so. Nymeria will find Arya rather than the other way round.

I keep getting this nagging feeling The Kindly Man will find out about Arya's List. It's either set it aside for our work or.... who's the biggest target? That will be Arya's final test, if one is necessary.

Maybe if I'd used 'execution' instead of 'departure'. I wasn't saying that Grey Wind up-n-left. It was more departing mortal coil.

After Red Wedding, Freys began making all kinds of crazy talk, about how Robb 'leapt' inside his wolf and ran wild, attacking innocent (ha!) Freys. Whether Robb tried to warg, only he knows and, how can we ask him when he's gone?

It is known that whoever wargs remains inside the skin if their body is killed. (The eagle that attacks Jon when he's captured.)

The other side of the coin is when the eagle begins to burn, and Sixskins goes bonkers.

If someone knew that, what would they do? Kill both!

The house of white and black talks of death as "the gift". It is like the great release from the mortal world. The gift has to be earned, I don't know if you "earn" it by being good or bad. I think it's both (as it is the house of white and black). I do not think Arya would kill Jon in any circumstance. Nor would Jon kill Arya. I think your on the right track, thinking Arya will have to prove she is one-of-them by killing for them. But Arya doesn't really mind killing people (as much as some characters).

Archived