R+L=J v. 88

Stubby

There was a theory some time ago that at least one of the KG also loved Lyanna, (Dayne, or Whent), which added fuel to the fight at the TOJ.

Yes.

Agreed.

Throwing lots of parallels in there including Arthurian themes of unrequited, unattainable, or chivalrous love which of course could apply to Elia as well.

As you know, I've considered those parallels quite a bit here and have made the case that both Rhaegar and Arthur Dayne have elements of Lancelot and both Lyanna and Elia parallel Gwenhyfvar. Toss in elements of Arthur for Rhaegar, and Elaine of Corbenic for Lyanna and you get a potentially confusing stew of allusions that could lead to the conclusion that there was much more going on in the quadrilateral formed by these four than most assume at first glance ;)

From a few 'close encounters' I had, I can only confirm what has been said btw ;)

Oh these actors who just cannot help themselves! Like so many cats with their canaries :D

@Lady Gwyn & @yolkboy: am listening to Radio Westeros, you have done well, very nice and friendly voices the two of you, very well done the speaking: it is nowhere boring, in fact it makes me want to listen more. Very well done!

Thank you so much for that JW! :cheers:

Glad to have the feedback and if you're interested in more, stay tuned... Episode 2 will be available next week :cool4:

Glad to have the feedback and if you're interested in more, stay tuned... Episode 2 will be available next week :cool4:

Yay for Radio Westeros!

Oh yay! I listened to episode 1 the other day. It was very good.

As you know, I've considered those parallels quite a bit here and have made the case that both Rhaegar and Arthur Dayne have elements of Lancelot and both Lyanna and Elia parallel Gwenhyfvar. Toss in elements of Arthur for Rhaegar, and Elaine of Corbenic for Lyanna and you get a potentially confusing stew of allusions that could lead to the conclusion that there was much more going on in the quadrilateral formed by these four than most assume at first glance ;)

Oh these actors who just cannot help themselves! Like so many cats with their canaries :D

I totally agree, because those themes could go in different directions. The theory that I was alluding to revolved more around Lyanna and Oswell, and the potential connections to Harrenhal.

I actually see Serra and Illyrio as a more glamorous version of Margaret Beaufort and Jasper Tudor, but thats another thread, lol.

It also goes without saying you guys did a fantastic job, and having had a friend who worked in Radio, that is actually no easy thing, and I think we all appreciate the hard work you guys did to bring everyone such enjoyment, so thank you. :bowdown: :grouphug:

I thought he was talking about the Stoney Dornish and the Salty Dornish when he spoke of the hybrid as two different cultures exist in Dorne. The Stoney Dornish tend to pretty much follow the Andal customs, while the Salty Dornish have their own. I can't really get my head around any cultural similarities between the Welsh and the Salty Dornish.

Wasn't Jasper in the order of the Garter? Martin has actually compared the older version of the Order to the KG.

Yes he was.

But, historically speaking, the Welsh resisted the English for a very long time, but were finally brought into the fold with a combination of continued warfare and marriage.

You certainly see cultural hints in the Dornish with the Welsh, for example, Elias uncle's name, Prince Lewyn sounds Welsh,( Llywelyn).

And the Welsh are still very culturally different from the English.

In appearance, the Welsh can also look very, "salty." While my Grandmother had pale white skin, she also had black hair and black eyes, as well as her sister Enid.

And the Spanish of course range from fair skin, blonde hair and light eyes to dark.

The Tudors actually considered themselves the first true English Kings since the Norman conquest, given that the Norman dynasties brought with them many French traditions including the language which tended to be the language of court.

But, as a child, I always envisioned Catherine of Aragon as dark, but she actually had red-gold hair and blue eyes, while Ann Boleyn was dark. Martin also lives in New Mexico, so I know the American Southwest plays a part as well having just been in the desert back in June when we were in Las Vegas.

But, I can see how Martin was inspired by both Spanish and Welsh cultures.

To believe the MarriedR+L theory is certain requires believing that the KG is simultaneously obsessed with guarding the king when they think the king is Jon ("The only reason they could possibly be there guarding the tower is because Jon is the King and the Kingsguard guards the king!") and totally careless of guarding the king when they think the king is Aerys ("Yes, we three will just stay here guarding your fourth-in-line heir for weeks, out of touch with KL. It's not like the King is going to need 42% of his Kingsguard including the Commander during a civil war. What could go wrong?")

And you are espousing having all seven of the Kingsguard in King's Landing? Screw Rhaegar, he doesn't need three Kingsguard with him, Aerys needs them all despite having all of the Gold Cloaks and men-at-arms under Jaime's command. All it takes to satisfy the Kingsguard requirement is one Kingsguard and sufficient forces under his command. At the tower we have three loyalists that we know of, no more, and they face seven rebels. It sure seems like they needed more, considering the outcome.

Let's take a little look at numbers:

before the Battle of the Bells:

general number of KG: 7

Rhaegar and Lyanna: 2

Aerys: 5

the first duty is fulfilled

before Rhaegar's return to KL:

Rhaegar and Lyanna: 3

Aerys: 4

before the Trident:

Lyanna: 3

Rhaegar: 3

Aerys: 1

after the Trident:

general number of KG: 4

after the Sack:

general number of KG: 3

Viserys 0

the first duty is NOT fulfilled /beep beep KG alert/

before the Trident:

after the Trident:

after the Sack:

Viserys 0

This should be posted every time someone brings up KG duties, henceforth.

before the Trident:

after the Trident:

after the Sack:

Viserys 0

Someone bookmark this.

Also, I like to think that at the very end, some kind of Bat signal went up.

This should be posted every time someone brings up KG duties, henceforth.

Someone bookmark this.

Also, I like to think that at the very end, some kind of Bat signal went up.

Saved and stored for future use :-)

You mean, Whent adjusted the wings on his helm to receive radio signals? :D

before the Trident:

after the Trident:

after the Sack:

Viserys 0

The KG needed to KNOW about their duty... in order to make their actions fulfilling it or not.

Can you insert a flow of information--when the KG became aware of developments-- in to that chart?

When did the KG at the ToJ learn of the Trident

When did the KG learn of Visery's flight to Dragonstone

When did the KG learn of the sack of King's Landing

When did the KG learn of the Tyrell's surrender at Storm's End

When was Jon born

I don't know if this should go somewhere on the board for the show, but it has something to do with R+L=J...

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/07/18/game-of-thrones-sean-bean-confirms-that-fan-theory-about-jon-snow-s-mother-2094244?lt_source=external,manual

I wouldn't call it confirmation but pretty interesting if he did indeed let something slip.

I don't know if this should go somewhere on the board for the show, but it has something to do with R+L=J...

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/07/18/game-of-thrones-sean-bean-confirms-that-fan-theory-about-jon-snow-s-mother-2094244?lt_source=external,manual

I wouldn't call it confirmation but pretty interesting if he did indeed let something slip.

Nor do I, but I remember we had the source for that on the previous page:

Sean Bean confirms Ned isn't Jon's father in this interview. http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/sean-bean-legends-game-thrones-chat.html

Not sure if already posted.

Thanks anyway, your article was not linked here before.

before the Trident:

after the Trident:

after the Sack:

Viserys 0

This is perfect!

I want to make a chart of events in boxes and timeline, but I'm afraid I'll butcher it and really be opened to significant criticism from fellow RLJ fans. :closedeyes:

Maybe if we all pull in all quotes, resources, and designate someone with the know how to make a cool timeline chart, fitted with the known events with years, months, speculated days, from days at the tourney to the TOJ. That'd be a cool project to do, I think, keeping us active while we wait for S5 to broadcast. Of course, credit will be given to those who contribute little or big.

And we do a save-mode, have a working progress at certain points for all of us to give feedback and suggestion of what to edit and change as far as the timeline chart and info therein.

Now, who wants to be the hero and be the director of this project? ^_^

because it ain't me.

Archived