Sansa and “pious bleating”

Mithras

“Your mother was a gentlewoman of Braavos, daughter of a merchant prince. We met in Gulltown when I had charge of the port. She died giving you birth, and entrusted you to the Faith. I have some devotional books you can look over. Learn to quote from them. Nothing discourages unwanted questions as much as a flow of pious bleating. In any case, at your flowering you decided you did not wish to be a septa and wrote to me. That was the first I knew of your existence.”

LF advised Sansa to read the devotional books and learn to quote from them because that would discourage people from asking unwanted questions to her. According to LF’s story, Sansa was devoted to the Faith until she flowered, which means pious bleating should be a reflex for her.

We know how pious bleating sounds like from Ser Bonifer Hasty.

Does anyone remember any case where Alayne bleated piously?

I don't think Sansa took that advice from LF on board, she certainly hasn't acted in a pious way or even made any offhand religious references during her time in the Vale. If the story of Alayne having a sheltered upbringing and being brought up to be a septa was spread around the Vale, it could perhaps be that Myranda's bawdy conversation with Alayne was an attempt to gauge her reaction as a would-be-septa, when the topic of conversation is risque and sexual in nature.

I thought of Littlefinger's words when I read Aeron Nojoy. Ugh, he was right, I wouldn't want to ask him anything.

But yeah, Alayne never says anything particularly religious. Could be her subconsciously trying to out herself like when she was going to wear the Tully dress.

Archived