Conversation with a Dying Man, Vol 2: Dance for me, Spider.

Dr. Pepper

But Varys isn't actually trying to blame Tyrion for this. At least not in any conclusive or exclusive way.

Particularly, Varys talks about setting this up so that Tyrion, Tyrell and Martell all look like suspects. He kills Pycelle like Aegon had been (blunt force to the head), and Kevan is finished like Rhaenys (stabbing), which looks like Dornish vengeance. He restrains Kevan with the crossbow, which looks like Tyrion might have involvement. The Tyrells have very good reason to be angry with Pycelle, being as how he's the one who accused Marg of the moon tea; to add, with Kevan out of the picture, they can replace the Lannisters, so there's a power grab in it for them. He even walks us through this-- Dorne, Tyrells, and Tyrion will all be blamed for this.

What eyewitness would turn Varys in in a believable way? Even in the unlikely event that the person witnessing this isn't a spy but some schmo guard reporting back to someone, who is going to believe it was Varys given the tension and distrust there? It's like saying the boogeyman did it.

Aegon's authenticity is precisely what's not important to the listener. The message being sent is that this will cause of a power vacuum and complete distrust between these 3 families, and that Aegon is coming to fill it. It's showing someone that Aegon is the horse to bet on, and now has a pretty good chance of succeeding, given that Varys is in the middle of murdering the last strength of House Lannister and sowing discord. The part Varys does emphasize, however, is Aegon's education, humble upbringing and how he understands his responsibility to his subjects-- in a nutshell, everything other than his legitimacy.

If there's another listener there that Varys invited in, that person is at Varys' mercy. Varys can easily kill this person and escape, and wouldn't invite him in in the first place if this person was so outrageously hostile to killing Lannisters. I'm saying that this is Varys' version of treating out on a battlefield. This whole thing is part of Varys' sales pitch-- "see with your own eyes, I can get to anyone no matter how protected or highborn, and watch as I remove this potential problem of Kevan for both of us."

Well, except that we didn't "conclude" it was the HS. We said that of the possible choices it was the one we liked because it fit so completely, but that we're open to other candidates in the OP. I think this thread is more about figuring out who's listening than automatically concluding it's the HS.

But for the record, the HS is pretty brutal. He's not exactly altruistic. He's populist, but not necessarily Mother Theresa.

One that hasn't been mentioned, but would work with the idea of indoctrinating someone through this little performance, and whom we have good reason to suspect is in Varys' pocket right now, is Tyrek.

More later, but to clarifiy where I was understandably confusing, re: altruistic, my basis life thesis is that most evil is done by people who sincerely believe they're doing good, or righting wrongs. That gives people license for almost anything.

While I find your theory somewhat persuasive (but not determinedly so) and while I definitely think Aegon is most likely (f)Aegon and not the "real" Aegon, the reason I am not totally convinced another person is in the room is that I am not sure how Varys could be sure this person would not report what Varys just did. Varys wants suspicion thrown onto Tyrion, which cannot happen if someone Varys does not control is watching. Varys cannot risk an eye witness to the murder reporting this murder to someone who might start looking for Varys to put him on trial for the murder. Varys is safe in part because no one knows for sure where he is.

So this mystery person has to be important enough that convincing him or her that (f)Aegon is the real Aegon is a valuable con, but not someone who would increase risk to Varys if the person objects to Varys killing Kevan. If you can explain that conundrum, I might move from somewhat persuaded to more or less convinced (but I think I am more sympathetic to the theory than many other skeptics to begin with, so convincing me might not be that much of a victory).

Varys is already a wanted man. Even if the unidentified person were believed, acknowledging that Varys did the murdering would only help fuel the tension between the parties in KL since Varys had previously planted evidence that the Tyrells were paying him off for something. Varys has been safe because of his ability to disappear and I'd suspect he'd remain safe using that same skill set. He set his stage so that all parties have cause to point to finger at one another. I think the only person who might be able to calm the pending implosion would be Jaime since he has already put a lot of the pieces together wrt Varys, yet Jaime isn't in KL and he's heading away with Brienne.

In short, Varys is first and foremost a mummer. He can disguise himself so as to be unrecognizable, he's had at least one long-term fake identity that we know of, and he sets his stage so that people see at what he wants him to see. It's all very theatrical and he moves around from set to set.

I will try to restate: Martin not only commonly mentions something more than once, but we commonly seek repetition of something as necessary to consider it factual. As he uses no omniscient objective narratives, we often need corresponding confirmations to ascribe more than personal bias to any accounting. And we have seen this kind of summary/repetition many times before without needing to suppose an agenda in the re-telling, particularly when the original details were scattered and often subtle.

Which is not to say you're wrong, but merely that I think your assumptions are premised on an artificial need to explain something which otherwise would not need it.

That said, I disagree with your conclusions in specific because, if there is another listener Varys is trying to reach, the key phrase for me would be the 'good men in service to bad causes'. That is the jagged edge; the part which is not explained in the whole. If he's actually trying to reach someone with sincerely altruistic/populist aims, he would not lightly admit that the man he is killing was doing good work on the whole. The lever he raises is the separation of the man...the potentially good man...in the service of a bad cause. The High Sparrow would not see himself as such, nor would he be likely to think Kevan that in any notable fashion.

So, if your theory is correct, I would look rather for someone else for whom loyalty or duty could be argued to have mislead him, who would potentially want to see himself as a good man in service to a bad cause' as a means of rationalizing his switching sides.

Off the top of my head, without even considering if it's physically possible, potential candidates would include Qyburn, Tarly, Redwyne, even Tyrell himself if Varys felt he was looking for an out, Swyft, etc. I think Redwyne and Swyft are provably impractical, but just meant to illustrate the type I feel that phrase is meant to cozen.

I'm going to move on from your first comment as we have stated that this thread isn't meant to entertain the idea that Martin broke the 4th wall. There are other threads where discussing this hypothetical is more relevant.

It's already been noted that the HS is not necessarily Mother Teresa. However, one reason we really like the HS (or his rep) as the unidentified audience here is because he considers himself to be just and he is still looking for a viable candidate to support. So far, the options are limited. He explained his reasons why he delayed in blessing Tommen and told Cersei their were other kings to consider. What he neglected to mention is that the other kings at the time are unpalatable to him. Stannis has turned his back on the Faith and Euron is Ironborn. Of the options available, Tommen is sort of it. Should the HS choose to bless Tommen's rule, it would not only garner support from the smallfolk but come with the the Faith Militant.

But the HS also recalled the High Septon who anointed Aegon I. That High Septon prayed and fasted for seven days and nights until he realized that not offering the support of the Faith would lead to Oldtown burning. Once the HS acknowledged Aegon I as king, other houses began to do so also. In other words, the HS is aware that his decision must consider the devastation that could occur if he chooses wrong and also that his decision would hold sway among the nobility. At this point in time, Tommen is looking like the only option for the HS. Not only is he the one candidate who actually acknowledges the Faith, but he's the candidate who has the largest army and thus can (continue to) wreak the most havoc. Supporting Tommen would be "a good man in service to a bad cause".

We consider some of Varys actions and dialogue to be warnings and threats. He's sweetening the deal with his campaign speech about Aegon, but it amounts to a near ultimatum with the threats and warnings. In between the lines, Varys is saying "choose wrong and I can dispose of you just as easily as I did these two men, plus I can set the stage to appear like anything I want. I am imploding this power bloc, consider what I can do with a bit of theatrics down in Flea Bottom."

We were quite clear in the OP. We like the HS the best as the unidentified audience, but we did not conclude that he is the one listening. We invited readers to present other candidates and their evidence. If you think another person in a position of power fits, you are welcome to submit it.

More later, but to clarifiy where I was understandably confusing, re: altruistic, my basis life thesis is that most evil is done by people who sincerely believe they're doing good, or righting wrongs. That gives people license for almost anything.

But how does this "life thesis" truly eliminate the HS as a candidate? You'd said that his being an altruist eliminates him from being a candidate earlier. I was pointing out that he's brutal and pragmatic, and not a saint, so I was at a loss as to why he'd be eliminated.

Also, I want to point out that the earlier comment about the repetition of knowns that occurs here is hugely gratuitous. This isn't like Manderly twirling his mustache and shouting "It's People!" or something, to shore up pieces that are suspected. I mean, we've actually Aegon at his lessons on the poleboat with Septa Lemore, and the points in the first part of the speech are things that have been spelled out for us, including in the first half of the epilogue while Kevan's in Council.

I agree that the high septon is a likely candidate. I would say he isn't the only candidate nor does Varys have a single specific candidate. I think Varys has an end goal but he doesn't seem like the type that's leaving it up to only the HS's decision. I think the speech is actually Vary's hedging his bets. Different parts are intended for different factions. Maybe we can try to analyze the speech a bit differently. I'm going to try and break it down by who I think certain parts of the speech are directed at, as opposed to it being directed at single person or group.

Off the top of my head quickly:

Populist argument/instructed in the faith/man oft people=HS

Good men/bad cause/duty/trained as a knight= Randyl Tarly.

Dorne being blamed/Culture, Laws, Poetry=Dorne

Tarly being a candidate is based on a few assumption. Mace is a dipshit and Tarly knows it. There are whole threads devoted to Tarly's eventual desertion from the Tyrells. If there's any spy network belonging to the Tyrells, I would bet its being run by Tarly.

On Dorne, no clue except for maybe the DMP and Qyburn.

The High Septon for all of the reasons already stated.

Varys is covering his bases. He's putting together the three (generally speaking) main things that have always been needed to win a war and keep the peace in Westeros. Support of the people, experienced battle commanders and bringing the Dornish into the fold.

ETA: Clarity

It might not be the Faith, but the HS is pretty much one of the only characters (with power) in the story who cares about responsibility to the people, who'd care that Aegon was trained by a septa, and would be moved by the fact that Aegon is not accustomed to having servants, performing all sorts of menial tasks on his own (the HS strips the Faith of extraneous luxury, and puts the entire septon hierarchy to work doing menial labor).

The fact that Varys gives a thorough rundown of Aegon's populist leanings is significant. Kevan most certainly wouldn't care about any of that last paragraph-- it would be meaningless to him. As exposition it doesn't work-- you'd think Varys would be instead going into depth about how he managed to pull off a major baby swap, telling us how it was truly done. No, it looks like this message is for a person, in story, who'd care about a populist king.

And yes, Varys would want the Faith to endorse Aegon. The Faith is recently armed and a powerful institution within Westeros. You don't want the Faith fighting against Aegon, or joining powers with another candidate. The Faith's blessing is an important gesture (hence, why Cersei appeals to the HS to anoint Tommen in the first place), as well as a potential danger if they use their recently-sanctioned arms against Aegon.

What about jon doesnt he care about the well being of the people?

The hole in this one may be that Varys' spies = the ears those walls are famous for having. So Varys is the one guy qualified to say there's nobody else listening in right then, because his birds have secured the perimeter and know all the listening posts. So he's not breaking character by spilling secrets---he's just demonstrating his mastery over whispers. There are no secrets being spilled, because as soon as Kevey dies this will have never happened. (I believe Kevan deserved an explanation-death because Varys saw him as a peer, a player worthy of a face to face.)

I think that maybe part of why there is backlash to the idea that, "there is someone else there," is that as readers we may have gotten used to the idea that someone is there, but that that someone, is Varys. People forget that part of the game seems to be controlling information in both direction. Varys is a spymaster, that means he can get highly(and sometimes not) useful and often sensitive information. It doesn't seem like a huge leap to think he might also try to control what information other people have.

On the original post:

I'm not sure that Varys does not simply show off. He has played a role in preparation for Aegon for over a decade. I could see him simply enjoying to tell a dying Kevan what he's up to. Perhaps in preparation for stepping into the light as the genius who singlehandedly saved the Targaryen dynasty?

I also have no problems with the explanation that he did this because he thought Ser Kevan deserved an explanation. The theory that he made the speech for somebody else beside the reader does not make all that much sense in my opinion (GRRM/Anne may have thought that the casual reader may have needed the speech to understand Varys' motivation and/or his connection to Aegon). If Varys wanted to address his little birds, he would do so when all of them were with him in his secret lair. The thought that Varys knows/suspects that the birds report to somebody else besides him, or that he needs to reinforce their loyalty by making speeches to dying men is ridiculous in my opinion.

Varys most likely had only some of his birds with him on the Pycelle/Kevan operation, not the majority of his network. The birds posing as messengers/servants (the boy who brought the message; the girl at the door, and then the children with the daggers - perhaps 8-10 or so in total). Most of them would have been posted at the listening posts surrounding Pycelle's quarters to ensure that Varys is not going to be surprised. When Kevan is dying, he calls them out to finish the job. That's about it.

It is true that Aegon perfectly fits the criteria the new High Septon would want in a king. But my guess is that this only in the speech to hint at the fact that the Faith will declare that Aegon VI is the true and rightful King of Westeros very soon in the future, not that Varys wants to address/convince the High Septon (to do this) by making a speech to his little birds.

The cheering crowd Dany saw in her cloth dragon vision could actually be people cheering Aegon after the High Septon has anointed him in the Great Sept.

We should also keep in mind that there are hints that Varys is behind the rise of the sparrows and the new High Septon. When he disappeared, he was disguised as a begging brother, and the success of the sparrows in bringing down promising candidates among the Most Devout (Septon Luceon) is suspicious, as the momentum this movement gained in a very short time.

It's thus very likely that the new High Septon is but a pawn in Varys' game - a dangerous pawn, I admit as much - but a pawn nonetheless. The sparrows want a savior, and Aegon has everything Tommen lacks. He isn't even incest-born!

Tarly being a candidate is based on a few assumption. Mace is a dipshit and Tarly knows it. There are whole threads devoted to Tarly's eventual desertion from the Tyrells. If there's any spy network belonging to the Tyrells, I would bet its being run by Tarly.

On Dorne, no clue except for maybe the DMP and Qyburn.

The High Septon for all of the reasons already stated.

Varys is covering his bases. He's putting together the three (generally speaking) main things that have always been needed to win a war and keep the peace in Westeros. Support of the people, experienced battle commanders and bringing the Dornish into the fold.

I can see this, and also the idea that Tarly might be a candidate to turn. I think that the HS (or a representative) is someone to whom all parts would be important, but I strongly agree that there's messages a number of other people would be interested in, and I definitely don't preclude the idea that Varys covers his bases for multiple audeinces.

What about jon doesnt he care about the well being of the people?

What does that have to do with the overall issue? We know that Jon isn't in the room with Varys, listening in hiding, or has spies in the Keep. The question is about who is connected to and concerned with the politics centered around the Keep/ KL that Varys might be sending a message to. Jon isn't a candidate.

But Jon is kind of evoked here, because the way Varys describes Aegon is pretty much what we see of Jon (well, minus the Septa training and poleboat).

The hole in this one may be that Varys' spies = the ears those walls are famous for having. So Varys is the one guy qualified to say there's nobody else listening in right then, because his birds have secured the perimeter and know all the listening posts. So he's not breaking character by spilling secrets---he's just demonstrating his mastery over whispers. There are no secrets being spilled, because as soon as Kevey dies this will have never happened. (I believe Kevan deserved an explanation-death because Varys saw him as a peer, a player worthy of a face to face.)

But we already know that Qyburn's taken over for Varys, so already there's at least one secret candidate. Further, if this were truly the case-- that Varys is spilling secrets simply because he can and he's free to do so-- why doesn't he tell us information we don't already have? Nothing's gained from this. And why exaggerate Aegon's enlightened monarchism strengths? It's like he's selling this candidate to someone. Someone who is obviously not Kevan, being as how Kevan is positioned to die, and therefore, not going to be voting for Aegon.

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. It binds inconsistencies together, like why Varys is suddenly acting like a Bond villain or how Martin just out of the blue decided to use exposition to tell the reader stuff we already know, and turns them into a solid theory.

One thing that sort of bugs me is that I think it would be stupid of the High Septon to secretly and anonymously go into the castle, presumably through Varys' secret passages, to what it could have easily being a trap. As far as i remember, faith only holds Margery now so the whole thing could have been a plot by Cercei (including a fake "banishment" by Varys) or someone else from the castle who wants HS out of the way. Perhaps this means that HS and Varys were working on an alliance for some time and have enough trust so that the HS would let Varys secretly lead him into the castle.

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. It binds inconsistencies together, like why Varys is suddenly acting like a Bond villain or how Martin just out of the blue decided to use exposition to tell the reader stuff we already know, and turns them into a solid theory.

One thing that sort of bugs me is that I think it would be stupid of the High Septon to secretly and anonymously go into the castle, presumably through Varys' secret passages, to what it could have easily being a trap. As far as i remember, faith only holds Margery now so the whole thing could have been a plot by Cercei (including a fake "banishment" by Varys) or someone else from the castle who wants HS out of the way. Perhaps this means that HS and Varys were working on an alliance for some time and have enough trust so that the HS would let Varys secretly lead him into the castle.

Marg was actually released to Randyll Tarly. The HS has legitimate cause to be in the Red Keep, and even to be visiting with Pycelle. Pycelle is the one who fingered Marg as having requested moon tea. The HS is already aware that Cersei commanded someone to claim they slept with Margaery, so it seems reasonable that he'd go to the source for the only other evidence available. I'm completely speculating here, but I also wonder if the HS would want to visit the Grand Maester to sort of pick his brain about the royal family. Since the High Sparrow has not yet decided if he will bless Tommen, perhaps he went to the person in the Red Keep who has spent decades monitoring, treating, and advising the royal families. The HS has displayed that he's quite educated in history as it pertains to the Faith, but he could be seeking more historical info regarding politics and the nobility.

In any case, I lean more towards the HS having already been there, meeting with Pycelle and not having arrived via secret tunnels. Kevan wasn't very observant when he entered or while Varys was talking to him. One kid was hiding behind Pycelle's chair, several appeared from darkened corners. I think this offers the possibility that the audience, whomever they were, was already in the room without needing to have come from a secret tunnel.

Marg was actually released to Randyll Tarly. The HS has legitimate cause to be in the Red Keep, and even to be visiting with Pycelle. Pycelle is the one who fingered Marg as having requested moon tea. The HS is already aware that Cersei commanded someone to claim they slept with Margaery, so it seems reasonable that he'd go to the source for the only other evidence available. I'm completely speculating here, but I also wonder if the HS would want to visit the Grand Maester to sort of pick his brain about the royal family. Since the High Sparrow has not yet decided if he will bless Tommen, perhaps he went to the person in the Red Keep who has spent decades monitoring, treating, and advising the royal families. The HS has displayed that he's quite educated in history as it pertains to the Faith, but he could be seeking more historical info regarding politics and the nobility.

In any case, I lean more towards the HS having already been there, meeting with Pycelle and not having arrived via secret tunnels. Kevan wasn't very observant when he entered or while Varys was talking to him. One kid was hiding behind Pycelle's chair, several appeared from darkened corners. I think this offers the possibility that the audience, whomever they were, was already in the room without needing to have come from a secret tunnel.

Ah, I forgot about Marg getting released. Yeah the HS already being in the castle for legitimate purposes and trying to get the truth from Pycelle before Varys does away with him makes more sense. If Varys is allied with HS they will create a nice havoc in KL for Aegon to take advantage.

If HS was meeting with Pycelle officially, wouldn't he become suspect of Pycelle's murder?

Also, would HS risk going into the Red Keep, after what he had done to Cersei? Harming or detaining him would create terrible havoc but the chance was still there, IMHO.

To me, it doesn't seem necessary that the HS be there himself, just someone who informs to him.

A question: what would the HS's take-away be regarding the desirable outcome of Cersei's and Margaery's trials, given that one message is that Lannisters and Tyrells should not be reconciled, while the other is "the faith should back Aegon"?

Just so I understand-- is your position that Varys' speech works entirely as both exposition and as a spiteful rant to Kevan? And by extension, that there's no one else there?

If so, honestly, no. I already wrote out a rough outline of where we learn everything Varys reiterates upthread, but basically, in terms of us as readers, even the most casual ones, these last 2 pages are pointless if looked at as exposition. Look through the passage again. We know all of the pieces Varys talks about from every Tyrion and Jon Con chapter of DwD, as well as the parts about Tyrell, Dornish and Lannister tensions in all of Cersei's chapters in addition to a summary of this at the beginning of the epilogue itself. Anyone who thought about it would be able to deduce why Varys kills Kevan even if Varys said nothing here. Especially because LF talks about the virtues of keeping Cersei in charge, and we know this will cause a power vacuum. Seriously, we can deduce why Varys would kill Kevan as early as Tyrion II or III DwD (power vacuum for a candidate) and by the time we see the poleboat, we know what's going on.

So no, this is not some Greek Chorus/ exposition thing slapped on at the end. Martin doesn't break the 4th wall with his confessions; notably, there's always someone listening who can use this information later. And seriously, there is absolutely nothing that Varys says that we do not already know.

Additionally, no, again, this does not work with Kevan's being the main audience in-story. If Varys is keeping Kevan alive exclusively to spite him, then rub it in Kevan's face how clever you are about trolling Tywin during the sack and speak to that aspect of this. Really look at what Varys is talking about in that last paragraph. It's not anti-Lannister as much as it's anti nobility.

There is a bit of spite there-- it's an asshole move to shoot someone in the chest with a bolt, letting them freeze while you explain why you're killing them in order to destroy their House. The methods of killing are also a nod to the Sack-- Varys brains Pycelle with a blunt object like Aegon, then shoots Kevan to neutralize him, and then has the birds finish him off with daggers when his confession is done like Rhaenys. But this doesn't stand as being the sole, or even prime audience for Varys; Varys isn't appealing to the things that would deeply wound Kevan the way he would be if that was the prime objective.

I believe Varys's motives have been pronounced to the reader since GoT and defined more precisely as we read from then to now. But, Kevan, who represents Lannister power (and knowledge), did not know - as far as we know. And the someone who is always listening is Varys. I get how threatening the act is, serving as a warning to anyone who would oppose him, but I think that warning would ring hollow to a person with an army coming from where it does, i.e., Varys, presumably alone (less his little birds), in Kings Landing. Furthermore, if there were someone there (an enemy), they would have thought that they were undetected, meaning they probably knew of the secret passages within the Red Keep. I assume this is where Varys has been keeping himself lately, wouldn't he have to flee if his enemies knew where to find him?

My take on the OP is that who Varys was speaking to was not in the room. Perhaps listening in from one of the secret tunnels (which Varys knows all about) or one of his little birds is reporting to another person, the HS perhaps.

The only way I see this being intended for a 3rd party being present is as ^^LongRider says, if one of his little birds were a double-agent of sorts, reporting back to someone else like Varys, with a different agenda. Then it makes more sense, *to me at least.

If HS was meeting with Pycelle officially, wouldn't he become suspect of Pycelle's murder?

Also, would HS risk going into the Red Keep, after what he had done to Cersei? Harming or detaining him would create terrible havoc but the chance was still there, IMHO.

I think any potential audience could be a suspect, though Varys set it up so that the powers that be have cause to point their fingers at one another rather than go through a detailed investigation. I don't know that it would need to be an official meeting, by either the HS himself or a rep. The HS isn't really all that identifiable since he doesn't do the pomp and circumstance for his position. But even if it were official, I think there might be time to leave before the murders are discovered or even be given the option to leave via the tunnels. I'm just not sure that whomever it was arrived through the tunnels.

I believe Varys's motives have been pronounced to the reader since GoT and defined more precisely as we read from then to now. But, Kevan, who represents Lannister power (and knowledge), did not know - as far as we know. And the someone who is always listening is Varys. I get how threatening the act is, serving as a warning to anyone who would oppose him, but I think that warning would ring hollow to a person with an army coming from where it does, i.e., Varys, presumably alone (less his little birds), in Kings Landing. Furthermore, if there were someone there (an enemy), they would have thought that they were undetected, meaning they probably knew of the secret passages within the Red Keep. I assume this is where Varys has been keeping himself lately, wouldn't he have to flee if his enemies knew where to find him?

The only way I see this being intended for a 3rd party being present is as ^^LongRider says, if one of his little birds were a double-agent of sorts, reporting back to someone else like Varys, with a different agenda. Then it makes more sense, *to me at least.

How hollow does it ring when Pycelle and Kevan, surrounded by an army, were assassinated?

To the second part, that would still be an unidentified audience. We did include the possibility that it's a representative of the listener.

I think any potential audience could be a suspect, though Varys set it up so that the powers that be have cause to point their fingers at one another rather than go through a detailed investigation. I don't know that it would need to be an official meeting, by either the HS himself or a rep. The HS isn't really all that identifiable since he doesn't do the pomp and circumstance for his position. But even if it were official, I think there might be time to leave before the murders are discovered or even be given the option to leave via the tunnels. I'm just not sure that whomever it was arrived through the tunnels.

I'm not sure either, but it does seem likely that if whoever had came through the front door, before or after the murder of Pycelle, they would've been less eager to hang around and become trapped or discovered

How hollow does it ring when Pycelle and Kevan, surrounded by an army, were assassinated?

If they had been aware of Varys's scheme beforehand, who's to say they would've been assassinated? Perhaps Varys would have been taken or killed had he proclaimed his intent to them beforehand.

To the second part, that would still be an unidentified audience. We did include the possibility that it's a representative of the listener. I was recapitulating I suppose, my apologies.

Archived