Conversation with a Dying Man, Vol 2: Dance for me, Spider.

Dr. Pepper

I wonder if this was mentioned before:

Her quiet words gave Sansa a chill. "What is it?"

"Your father is a traitor, dear," Lord Varys said.
. . . wed the king . . . The words made her breath come faster, yet still Sansa hesitated. "Perhaps . . . if I might see my father, talk to him about . . . "

"Treason?" Lord Varys hinted.

Varys knows the truth about Cersei and her children. Eddard is not really a traitor but the situation has made it so he appears to be one. Cersei's mummer's farce is based on the lie that her children are trueborn and that Ned was acting against them. Varys is playing his part in it.

Could it be the same with Aegon? He's not really Rhaegar's son but the farce that Varys has written makes him out to be the trueborn heir. Varys interrupts Sansa in the same way he interrupts Ser Kevan.

The confession was for our sake not Kevan's , Kevan is a dead man that confession does him no good because who he going to tell ? Visit with Tywin in the seven hell to tell he failed to kill the Targaryen heir ? The only thing the confession did was to solidify the belief that Aegon is fake.

With all due respect, did you read the OP? It explicitly says that this thread is setting aside the matter of "breaking the fourth wall" (i.e. conveying information to the reader, who, in any event, learns nothing new from Varys' speech) or for discussing whether Aegon is fake. It's about considering the hypothesis that Varys is addressing someone else who is present on scene, and makes a case that that someone is the High Septon (or his spies). Others posting in the thread have also postulated alternative listeners.

ETA: If you haven't read it, I encourage you to do so! It's a really good one!

Varys brains Pycelle with a blunt object like Aegon, then shoots Kevan to neutralize him, and then has the birds finish him off with daggers when his confession is done like Rhaenys.

OMG! I never noticed!

I'm too far behind the thread to contribute, but I have to congratulate butterbumps! for drawing the parallel

I like the idea put down in the OP that there was someone else listening to Varys and Kevin, but I think I may have a better candidate than the high septon. Dorans informant. By making Dorans informant listen to the convo he/she would have every reason to believe Aegon was real and Doran would receive reports of Aegon from multiple sources instead of just from JonCons letter.

You're not alone in thinking that, aryagonnakill#2: I think Mladen and Paper Waver had suggested upthread that the listener (or one of the listeners) might be one of Doran's spies; like the High Septon, it's a possibility that could produce some good plot development, though as you note, Doran already has this info, so I'm not sure what's "added" (from Doran's perspective) by this account, other than that it came from Varys' mouth, seemingly in a conversation with a dying man, and so more "authentic."

Archived