Varys fate?

Marcus Agrippa

Arya going to kings landing seems to be a possibility- but who would she be sent to kill?

She doesn't have to be there on assignment. There's a lot of speculation on whether she'll remain in the group at all. Besides, don't assassins get vacation time?

Well, Jaqen was in the black cells. If there is someone who can outmaneuver or outsmart a Faceless Man, it would be Varys.

I really can't see a scenario in which Arya would be send after Varys, specifically (after Aegon, Arianne, Connington, Mace Tyrell, sure, but not after Varys - even the Faceless Men should not realize that Varys is behind Aegon). Nor would she consider him an enemy. At least not as long a chain of events causes her to remember and rethink what she overheard beneath the Red Keep (no idea what that would be, though).

If the deal between the Iron Bank and Stannis is ever finalized, then many Faceless Men might be deployed to Westeros to change the odds in Stannis' favor, but my guess is that Arya is not going to be one of them. The House of Black and White could only use her against a small number of targets - she knows Tommen, Cersei, Myrcella, Littlefinger, Sansa, and a number of other major players. They could only use her to take out some of the newer players (Aegon, Connington, Arianne, Doran, Euron).

The Kindly Man should also know/realize that deploying her to Westeros could indeed trigger her whole revenge agenda - he should be able to deduce that the murder of Raff was no accident at all - and thus motivate her to run away. I'd find it much more interesting if she would be sent after Daenerys. This could turn her whole character around, enabling her to climb out of the dark assassin hole she is in right now. If she realizes that the Faceless Men are willing betray their own principles when money is involved, and target a rather good person whose political goals should actually coincide with their own, this would provide her with an actual pretext to defect.

Right now Arya has no purpose whatsoever in life, nor any real agenda of her own. I really don't see why she should not want to spend her life with the Faceless Men. Giving her the assignment to take out a very prominent POV character would also be a way to create quite a lot of tension.

And in that scenario - if she does not kill Dany but defects to her - she might eventually have a reason to target Varys.

Arya has her own agenda. It is only a matter of time she is kicked out of the order.

I have a creepy feeling he will be there to advise the last queen/king in the books. A survivor.

That would be the worst thing for the story. Still it fits everything has changed but still the same scenarios that Martin ended with. Who would trust him thought? Granted he doesn't have to keep the name Varys.

She doesn't have to be there on assignment. There's a lot of speculation on whether she'll remain in the group at all. Besides, don't assassins get vacation time?

This is true. The Mercy chapter gave away as much. A part of me feels like she will be with them through the early part of Winds and maybe to the mid point.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/93224-arya-will-kill-varys/

Some reasons why people think Arya will kill Varys. I hope it's not true as they are my two favorites.

As long as it fits the story it would be alright. I just don't want it to be corny. Nobody truly gets revenge in the game of thrones. People seem to die by a random foe or enemy. Joffery and Littlefinger or Walder Frey/ Roose Bolton and Robb Stark as examples

Well, Jaqen was in the black cells. If there is someone who can outmaneuver or outsmart a Faceless Man, it would be Varys.

I really can't see a scenario in which Arya would be send after Varys, specifically (after Aegon, Arianne, Connington, Mace Tyrell, sure, but not after Varys - even the Faceless Men should not realize that Varys is behind Aegon). Nor would she consider him an enemy. At least not as long a chain of events causes her to remember and rethink what she overheard beneath the Red Keep (no idea what that would be, though).

If the deal between the Iron Bank and Stannis is ever finalized, then many Faceless Men might be deployed to Westeros to change the odds in Stannis' favor, but my guess is that Arya is not going to be one of them. The House of Black and White could only use her against a small number of targets - she knows Tommen, Cersei, Myrcella, Littlefinger, Sansa, and a number of other major players. They could only use her to take out some of the newer players (Aegon, Connington, Arianne, Doran, Euron).

The Kindly Man should also know/realize that deploying her to Westeros could indeed trigger her whole revenge agenda - he should be able to deduce that the murder of Raff was no accident at all - and thus motivate her to run away. I'd find it much more interesting if she would be sent after Daenerys. This could turn her whole character around, enabling her to climb out of the dark assassin hole she is in right now. If she realizes that the Faceless Men are willing betray their own principles when money is involved, and target a rather good person whose political goals should actually coincide with their own, this would provide her with an actual pretext to defect.

Right now Arya has no purpose whatsoever in life, nor any real agenda of her own. I really don't see why she should not want to spend her life with the Faceless Men. Giving her the assignment to take out a very prominent POV character would also be a way to create quite a lot of tension.

And in that scenario - if she does not kill Dany but defects to her - she might eventually have a reason to target Varys.

I think Varys himself is a former FM trainee. He admits to being a mummer at one point, but his skills go far beyond that level of trickery. He's got training a mere mummer wouldn't have--he doesn't merely act, he becomes the character to the point that others don't recognize him (except when he's being a woman, that time he was using just the mummer stuff). Look at how well he navigates the Red Keep, even in the dark. He hears everything, either through himself or his network of spies, has a finger in pretty much every pie, knows how to mislead without actually lying. This guy has "master spy and assassin" written all over him. He only did a hack job on Kevan and Pycelle because the point was to make it look clumsy--as if someone had hired a common thug for the job. He's either the biggest genius in town (which is possible) or he's got FM ties.

Arya's storyline is giving us insight into him. Ironically this does support the idea that she could be assigned to kill Varys. If he's still in their ranks and has gone rogue, HQ might want him removed from the game.

Archived