Will Bran be recast?

Jack Bauer 24

I don't think they will re-cast him, though his age is becoming one of the most glaring discrepancies between the ages in the book versus the show for me.

I highly doubt they will. Also, do we have any idea how old Margaery is supposed to be in the show, I can't buy her being any younger than about 24.

I think GRRM said (and I don't have a source) that show Margaery is supposed to be an older, smarter version of book Margaery. I really like Natalie Dormer, but I can't buy her any younger than 24 either.

There is a reason why they age them in the series. You do not want to have an underage actor or actress showing their junk on TV.

Bran is not showing anything.

I uderstand the changes for Dany, Jon, Robb, Sansa, etc.

Bran? Well...that's another stuff.

I have seen a lot of talk about recasting some of the younger actors who are ageing up when the only actual recast of a young character (Tommen) was done with an older actor...

That's because they needed him to look older.

I mean, Natalie Dormer is 32, not 16. You can't expect her to be married and doing those scenes about "get to know one another" with a 14 year old

Also, Tommen's actor looks like a child. He doesn't look 16.

I have seen a lot of talk about recasting some of the younger actors who are ageing up when the only actual recast of a young character (Tommen) was done with an older actor...

I think the original actor is 15, not much younger, so that recast may not have as much to do with age as people think. They also recast Myrcella with an even younger actress than Aimee Richardson, so maybe it's just a case of wanting more accomplished actors. The original Tommen and Myrcella were basically ascended extras, they didn't originally audition, I believe.

There is a reason why they age them in the series. You do not want to have an underage actor or actress showing their junk on TV.

Bran isn't showing his junk. Neither are Sansa or Arya showing anything.

I think the main reason why the kids were aged up to begin with (other than the Dany situation) is so they wouldn't have to hire so many very young child actors. Older child actors or even adult actors (for Robb, Jon etc.) are easier to work with and more likely to give good performances. A 10-year old is more likely to act well and be easier to work with than a 7-year old, etc. That's why you'll very rarely have child actors playing their exact age, they are more likely to hire actors who are older but look youthful enough to pass as a certain age.

GRRM himself has admitted he made a mistake when he made the children so young in the books - that must be especially obvious once he realized he couldn't do the five year jump. It's really hard at times to believe that Bran is 7 in the books (and GRRM has admitted that's the POV he finds the hardest to write, because it's hard to put yourself in the mind of a 7-year old) or that Arya is 9, or 11 in her latest chapters (especially "Mercy", which was originally supposed to take place after the 5-year jump, i.e. when she was 16).

Bran isn't showing his junk. Neither are Sansa or Arya showing anything.

I think the main reason why the kids were aged up to begin with (other than the Dany situation) is so they wouldn't have to hire so many very young child actors. Older child actors or even adult actors (for Robb, Jon etc.) are easier to work with and more likely to give good performances. A 10-year old is more likely to act well and be easier to work with than a 7-year old, etc. That's why you'll very rarely have child actors playing their exact age, they are more likely to hire actors who are older but look youthful enough to pass as a certain age.

GRRM himself has admitted he made a mistake when he made the children so young in the books - that must be especially obvious once he realized he couldn't do the five year jump. It's really hard at times to believe that Bran is 7 in the books (and GRRM has admitted that's the POV he finds the hardest to write, because it's hard to put yourself in the mind of a 7-year old) or that Arya is 9, or 11 in her latest chapters (especially "Mercy", which was originally supposed to take place after the 5-year jump, i.e. when she was 16).

Agreed. The kids are too young, specially Sansa, Bran and Arya.

With Robb and Jon, those flaws are slightly less important.

I just assume that each season is a year, that way it makes sense that the characters look older with each season

The show appears to substantiate that, as Jaime is twice said to be 40 in the first episode of season #4 and it can be worked out that he is 37 in season #1 as Tyrion says that Cersei was married at 19-20 and Joffrey is 17 in season #2, and in season #1 and Cersei and Robert talk about having been married for 17 years. It is also stated on the Game of Thrones Wiki that in general 1 season = 1 year.

If Bran is recast as I speculated above, it'll make for some in depth character interactions next year.

"I am Groot."

"Hodor?"

"I am GROOT."

"Hodor. Hodor"

"I am Groot."

"Hodor! Hodor."

"I am Groot."

"Hodor...."

"We are Groot."

"Hodor! Hodor!"

I just assume that each season is a year, that way it makes sense that the characters look older with each season

But that doesn't make any sense, since, for instance, there is no way that season 4 lasted more than about a month or two, tops, based on what happens in it. Unless you think that, for instance, Tyrion's trial lasted a whole year, or Sansa and LF took half a year to get from KL to the Vale and then the Lords of Vale waited for months to hold LF's trial, or Mance Rayder took almost two years from promising to lit the biggest fire the North has ever seen to actually attacking Castle Black. Similarly, in season 3, it would mean that, for instance, Jaime and Brienne took 11 months to get from Harrenhal to KL, since everything else that happened to them before episode 10 couldn't have lasted more than a month or so. Or that there was several months between Tywin deciding to marry Sansa to Tyrion and the actual wedding, since they stretched it over 4 episodes.

The time passing between seasons was also minimal, especially between seasons 2 and 3 (the White Walkers are advancing towards to First of the Fist Men => the White Walkers attack the Fist of the First Men) and, to just a slightly smaller amount, seasons 3 and 4 (Jon is back to Castle Black => Jon has recently been back to CB and is dealing with the repercussions, Jaime and Brienne are back in KL => Jaime and Brienne have recently come back to KL and are dealing with the repercussions). So, the time between season 2 and 3 had to be something between a few hours and a few days; the time between season 3 and 4 could have been something from a few days to a week or two.

And then there's also the absolute proof that this is not the case in the fact that Sansa was 13 in the first episode of season 1, and she's still 14 in episode 3.08. Even if she's about to turn 15, that means there's been less than two years, not two years and 8-10 months.

Archived