Dany will NOT fight the Others

Mithras

2) It is not canon and I don't think there is an ice dragon in ASOIAF. Still, it is a reasonable guess that the fire dragons will have a hard time against cold and ice.

I agree that they'll have some hard time; it would be too easy otherwise. "Here are three fire breathers! Bye bye Others!" But that doesn't mean they wont' be valuable, especially against Wights.

Dany's been kept ineffective in Essos for thousands of pages. If she shows up in Westeros and doesn't fight the Others, it will be ridiculous.

I think most of the story is trying to get everyone North to fight the real danger that everyone has been ignoring for quite awhile. That iron chair don't mean much when the Others come; so I think (hope?) that eventually everyone, including Dany, turns their eyes northwards and goes to fight. Like many people said when this topic first started, the ant and Wall metaphor likely IS about THE WALL and THE OTHERS, but I agree with others like Butterbumps! who stated that Dany does fight the Others, she's just not the one to go up against Chief Other/the magic that fuels the Others/what the 7 hells is going on up in the Lands of Always Winter.

• 1 month later...

I think most of the story is trying to get everyone North to fight the real danger that everyone has been ignoring for quite awhile. That iron chair don't mean much when the Others come; so I think (hope?) that eventually everyone, including Dany, turns their eyes northwards and goes to fight. Like many people said when this topic first started, the ant and Wall metaphor likely IS about THE WALL and THE OTHERS, but I agree with others like Butterbumps! who stated that Dany does fight the Others, she's just not the one to go up against Chief Other/the magic that fuels the Others/what the 7 hells is going on up in the Lands of Always Winter.

One can only hope.

“Winter is coming,” Jon said at last, breaking the awkward silence, “and with it the white walkers. The Wall is where we stop them. The Wall was made to stop them … but the Wall must be manned.

This was said at a time Stannis (The King Who Cared) was busy fighting the Boltons in the South and the audience included a man who was conspiring against Jon and later would stab him personally. And in the next chapter, Jon sees a dream in which he fights the Others at the Wall on his own.

“Stand fast,” Jon Snow called. “Throw them back.” He stood atop the Wall, alone. “Flame,” he cried, “feed them flame,” but there was no one to pay heed.

They are all gone. They have abandoned me.

Stannis had his own reasons to go South and defeat the Boltons. I am sure that Dany will have her own reasons to fight her wars in the South instead of agreeing to the plea of Jon. As I posted in several threads, why should Dany spend her men and resources in a fight against the Others while fAegon solidifies his kingdom in the South?

Side Note: For those who are curious about the end of that dream, Jon fought alone as much as he could and finally screamed “I am the Lord of Winterfell!” Only after that, help came in the form of a gnarled hand seizing him and Jon woke up. I think that will be similar to how he will try to hold the Wall alone while pretenders are Dancing in the South but when the Wall falls, he will scream “I am your rightful king. Get your asses up here!” and then people will start to come North to fight the Others with him.

• 2 weeks later...

If Dany just "cares" about the IT then why did she take a risk in Astapor to liberate slaves and why did she stay in Meereen. The text is arguing against all the claims you are making.

This is what the text suggest about why Dany stayed in SB:

“Aegon the Conqueror brought fire and blood to Westeros, but afterward he gave them peace, prosperity, and justice. But all I have brought to Slaver’s Bay is death and ruin. I have been more khal than queen, smashing and plundering, then moving on.”

“Meereen is not Westeros, Your Grace.”

“But how can I rule seven kingdoms if I cannot rule a single city?” He had no answer to that. Dany turned away from them, to gaze out over the city once again. “My children need time to heal and learn. My dragons need time to grow and test their wings. And I need the same. I will not let this city go the way of Astapor. I will not let the harpy of Yunkai chain up those I’ve freed all over again.”

She stayed in SB to learn to rule. At the end of ADwD, she said "Dragons plant no trees (Fuck it, I am done with learning to rule. Fire and Blood all the way.)"

This is what the text suggest about why Dany stayed in SB:

“Aegon the Conqueror brought fire and blood to Westeros, but afterward he gave them peace, prosperity, and justice. But all I have brought to Slaver’s Bay is death and ruin. I have been more khal than queen, smashing and plundering, then moving on.”

“Meereen is not Westeros, Your Grace.”

“But how can I rule seven kingdoms if I cannot rule a single city?” He had no answer to that. Dany turned away from them, to gaze out over the city once again. “My children need time to heal and learn. My dragons need time to grow and test their wings. And I need the same. I will not let this city go the way of Astapor. I will not let the harpy of Yunkai chain up those I’ve freed all over again.”

She stayed in SB to learn to rule. At the end of ADwD, she said "Dragons plant no trees (Fuck it, I am done with learning to rule. Fire and Blood all the way.)"

Well that's exactly my point she put duty over her personal goals of going back to westeros, and your claim is that if Dany comes to westeros and finds out there are wights attacking the realm she won't care because she'll be busy fighting for the IT.

Which doesn't make sense since she has set aside her own personal wishes aside before.

Well that's exactly my point she put duty over her personal goals of going back to westeros, and your claim is that if Dany comes to westeros and finds out there are wights attacking the realm she won't care because she'll be busy fighting for the IT.

Which doesn't make sense since she has set aside her own personal wishes aside before.

That is a wrong way to put it. She stayed so that she could learn to fix the problems she created by her conquests. She wanted to rest and let her dragons grow. These are all for her quest of Westeros. And she dismissed them all as for the end of ADwD. She decided to be a smashing, plundering and moving on khal again.

That is a wrong way to put it. She stayed so that she could learn to fix the problems she created by her conquests. She wanted to rest and let her dragons grow. These are all for her quest of Westeros. And she dismissed them all as for the end of ADwD. She decided to be a smashing, plundering and moving on khal again.

Im not sure whats wrong with the way I put it. Her goal was to go to westeros but what she did in slaver's bay caused problems she never expected so she decided to stay not only to learn to rule but also to fix the problems out of duty to them.

You seem to be suggesting that she chose to stay in Meereen for some sort of ruling course before she went to Westeros, and this is incorrect since even in ADWD again was confronted with the chance to go to westeros and she chose to stay not for westeros but for her free slaves and the problems that still needed to be healed in Meereen.

Im not going to comment on your second point since I dont agree with it, and I've already posted several times on how I understand Dany's last chapter so agree to disagree.

• 2 months later...

Archived