Barristan's Knights - Tumco Lho, Larraq and the Red Lamb

Tyrus Martell

After reading the last few chapters of A Dance With Dragons, I can't help but be intrigued and excited for the future of Ser Barristan's top three newly-made knights, Tumco Lho, Larraq and the Red Lamb.

Tumco Lho is said by Ser Barristan to be the best natural swordsman since Jaime Lannister. That's high praise, especially from a knight as skilled as him, and I can only hope he gets the page time to show it off. Larraq seems to be a wildcard with skill that surprises even Selmy with his odd weapon choice of the trident and whip - and he has a bad-ass nickname, the Lash. He also takes an arrow to the chest in the Winds of Winter sample chapter (Barristan II) but shrugs it off like a boss.

The Red Lamb is the most exciting prospect of the three. Barristan thinks of him as less skilled as the other two but knights him in ADWD on the basis of his ferocity and determination, and we've seen from The Winds of Winter sample chapters how bloodthirsty he is for slaver blood (his awesome speech about the Shepard and his "I came here for blood, not gold" line).

There's also the three "Boys" - Ghiscari brothers who were sold off by their father to pay for a ransom. They haven't been made knights yet, but Selmy thinks of them as the next three prospects after his first group.

Throughout ADWD, Barristan trains them in chivalry and arms and even gets them a pep-talk about what it means to be a knight, noting their confusion but knowing they will understand some day. Barristan, for as much crap as he gets, is still a good person at heart and knowing he's passing on his skills-at-arms and knowledge onto these boys is comforting - assuming all three survive the upcoming battle of Meereen and become acknowledged by Daenerys as her new knights.

Who else thinks these three (and the boys) could be bad-ass mofos in The Winds of Winter?

It'll be interesting to see how they'll get knighted, since they don't adhere to the faith of the seven.

Maybe they'll be like the NW and take their vows before their own gods according to their own traditions.

If they survive the battle of Mereen, they'll probably get some face time in the next book.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll get knighted, since they don't adhere to the faith of the seven. Maybe they'll be like the NW and take their vows before their own gods according to their own traditions. If they survive the battle of Mereen, they'll probably get some face time in the next book.

I'm sure Barristan will allow them to keep their own gods. He displays some very wise and sensitive attitudes towards the Red Lamb when he rants about the Shepard of Lhazar - though I sense the Red Lamb probably isn't much of a religious person anymore after stating he wants to smash the Shepard's crook in his face. :P

The Red Lamb is a favorite of mine as well. I would like to see more of him in the future :D

Same here. His "blood, not gold" line won me over, as well as his rant before the battle of Meereen. It's cool to see a character from the non-martial Lhazar become a knight from lowly-slave status and gather the anger of his people and take it out on the Yunkish slavers with such bad-assery.

That said, I really would like to see Tumco Lho in action with his sword, to see if he's as good as Jaime Lannister as Barristan says. Larraq's weapon choice is also awesome, want to see him kick some ass and I hope the arrow in his chest doesn't prove fatal for him.

One particular line in Barristan's sample chapter really stood out to me (dem feels!), and made me want him and his three knights (and the other boys in training) to survive and make it out of Meereen for more page-time!

He had done his own praying earlier, as his squires helped him don his armor. His gods were far away across the sea in Westeros, but if the septons told it true, the Seven watched over their children wherever they might wander. Ser Barristan had said a prayer to the Crone, beseeching her to grant him a little of her wisdom, so that he might lead his men to victory. To his old friend the Warrior he prayed for strength. He asked the Mother for her mercy, should he fall. The Father he entreated to watch over his lads, these half-trained squires who were the closest things to sons that he would ever know.

Same here. His "blood, not gold" line won me over, as well as his rant before the battle of Meereen. It's cool to see a character from the non-martial Lhazar become a knight from lowly-slave status and gather the anger of his people and take it out on the Yunkish slavers with such bad-assery.

That said, I really would like to see Tumco Lho in action with his sword, to see if he's as good as Jaime Lannister as Barristan says. Larraq's weapon choice is also awesome, want to see him kick some ass and I hope the arrow in his chest doesn't prove fatal for him.

One particular line in Barristan's sample chapter really stood out to me (dem feels!), and made me want him and his three knights (and the other boys in training) to survive and make it out of Meereen for more page-time!

That was a great line. Sadly, some of the boys will definitely die in the conflicts that will follow (my bet is on Larraq, since with the boys GRRM has three other candidates for knighthood with Ghiscari blood). But I'm sure many of them will rise very high. Barristan's group of squires are really training to become Dany's warrior elite.

They were already the best amongst their peers and with Barristan's training they'll rise to meet the challenge. I imagine that many of them will become great champions and that by war's end, many heiresses in Westeros will probably be married to the boys. That would give Dany's most loyal supporters land and titles.

This really is one of those times where it's a shame that the 5 year gap has been cancelled. Had that still been in place, than Barristan would have had many more knights ready. I imagine that would have been one of the ways for George to mess with the perception of Westerosi Lords. Faegon in Westeros acting like a Targaryen and Dany coming over from Essos, supported by great knights like Daemon Blackfyre before, the trueborn Targaryen who takes on the BF role.

I'd also like to see Tumco Lho fight and I have a feeling we will. And more of the Red Lamb's line would be highly appreciated, he's a bit of a scene stealer that won :D

After reading the last few chapters of A Dance With Dragons, I can't help but be intrigued and excited for the future of Ser Barristan's top three newly-made knights, Tumco Lho, Larraq and the Red Lamb.

Tumco Lho is said by Ser Barristan to be the best natural swordsman since Jaime Lannister. That's high praise, especially from a knight as skilled as him, and I can only hope he gets the page time to show it off. Larraq seems to be a wildcard with skill that surprises even Selmy with his odd weapon choice of the trident and whip - and he has a bad-ass nickname, the Lash. He also takes an arrow to the chest in the Winds of Winter sample chapter (Barristan II) but shrugs it off like a boss.

The Red Lamb is the most exciting prospect of the three. Barristan thinks of him as less skilled as the other two but knights him in ADWD on the basis of his ferocity and determination, and we've seen from The Winds of Winter sample chapters how bloodthirsty he is for slaver blood (his awesome speech about the Shepard and his "I came here for blood, not gold" line).

There's also the three "Boys" - Ghiscari brothers who were sold off by their father to pay for a ransom. They haven't been made knights yet, but Selmy thinks of them as the next three prospects after his first group.

Throughout ADWD, Barristan trains them in chivalry and arms and even gets them a pep-talk about what it means to be a knight, noting their confusion but knowing they will understand some day. Barristan, for as much crap as he gets, is still a good person at heart and knowing he's passing on his skills-at-arms and knowledge onto these boys is comforting - assuming all three survive the upcoming battle of Meereen and become acknowledged by Daenerys as her new knights.

Who else thinks these three (and the boys) could be bad-ass mofos in The Winds of Winter?

I posted a thread on the Red Lamb before. He's my favorite new character, i hope he survives.

Not to mention, and this is kinda off topic so bear with me, but Barry looks out for Quent and Co. by telling them to leave ASAP after Dany is gone. He does it out of respect and care for his former KG brother Lewyn Martell. It's just telling of his character. Also, not for nothing, he asks himself a lot of questions; there's lots of contemplation in his chapters, showing his experience and diligence in doing the right thing, often a sign of maturity.

• 6 months later...

Seconding everybody who said that the Red Lamb was cool. He's like John Brown or something. I just love the idea of slavers getting their teeth kicked in by a lowly Lhazerene. It'll be pretty awkward, though, if Dany takes control of that Khalasar and RL ends up fighting alongside Dothraki.

• 5 months later...

Seconding everybody who said that the Red Lamb was cool. He's like John Brown or something. I just love the idea of slavers getting their teeth kicked in by a lowly Lhazerene. It'll be pretty awkward, though, if Dany takes control of that Khalasar and RL ends up fighting alongside Dothraki. 

If Dany takes control of the Khalasar, their days of taking and making slaves are over.

The question is, who will complete their training after Barristan dies (that is a given for me).

I really hope you are wrong . Barristan is a great character , he has information from the past that nobody else has and if he dies we lose any chance of finding out about certain events in the past . Also his interactions with the other characters in Essos would be great . There is a chance we could have Barristan, Jorah, Tyrion , Victorian, Brown Ben & Daario all in the same room together and lord knows what would happen if that took place. 

I really hope you are wrong . Barristan is a great character , he has information from the past that nobody else has and if he dies we lose any chance of finding out about certain events in the past . Also his interactions with the other characters in Essos would be great . There is a chance we could have Barristan, Jorah, Tyrion , Victorian, Brown Ben & Daario all in the same room together and lord knows what would happen if that took place. 

It's far from settled that Barristan will die soon. Recent developments in the show lead many to assume that he will be done soon but that doesn't really mean anything, as we've seen how far off base the show has taken certain story lines that *are* already covered in the books. (That's as far as I'm going to allude to the show here, I hope that didn't cross the line for the mods). 

All we really know so far is that Barristan has taken charge of the defense of Meereen in Dany's absence, and is preparing a surprise attack. (DWD and the preview chapters for Winds are mixed up in my head, so I'm not sure which that info comes from). That certainly sets up a scenario in which he may die in glory, but again I think it's hardly settled.

^ Barristan reflects on his age and the fact that stairs tire him out now, he also thinks about death and then in 1 of the sample chapters his horse is splashed with blood.  In 1 scene he sees a kraken as his reflection, and he also rides Danys silver.  It is not settled for sure, and I'd like to think he will survive and that Jorah and Vic will die, but it is fair for people to speculate that Barristan will die.

Archived