The books coming out in 2015

AncalagonTheBlack

There's a New Dawn/Tarkin omnibus coming out in October, I might pick that one up. Maybe the LotS paperback too. HttJ and Dark Disciple hold little appeal for me though. I like the main characters but I don't think I'd enjoy it.

The New Dawn/Tarkin omnibus is also including a linked short story from John Jackson Miller, featuring a character from A New Dawn. HttJ is skipable - nothing happens in it that impacts anything. Advanced reviews for Dark Disciple have been very positive, though.

The New Dawn/Tarkin omnibus is also including a linked short story from John Jackson Miller, featuring a character from A New Dawn. HttJ is skipable - nothing happens in it that impacts anything. Advanced reviews for Dark Disciple have been very positive, though.

Two other short stories too. It's pretty good value.

I'm not a big fan of TCW and I'm not particularly interested in the story itself. I only buy SW books I'm really stoked for, not hardcovers at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Steven Erikson's Fall of Light has been pushed back to February 2016:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?group=related&sku=0765323575

David Anthony Durham's new book The Risen: A Novel of Spartacus will be released in March 2016:

http://www.amazon.com/Risen-Spartacus-David-Anthony-Durham/dp/038553566X/

• 2 weeks later...

The Story of Kullervo by J. R. R. Tolkien (ed. by Verlyn Flieger) - 27/08/2015

About the Book
Kullervo son of Kalervo is perhaps the darkest and most tragic of all J.R.R. Tolkien’s characters. ‘Hapless Kullervo’, as Tolkien called him, is a luckless orphan boy with supernatural powers and a tragic destiny.

Brought up in the homestead of the dark magician Untamo, who killed his father, kidnapped his mother, and who tries three times to kill him when still a boy, Kullervo is alone save for the love of his twin sister, Wanona, and guarded by the magical powers of the black dog, Musti. When Kullervo is sold into slavery he swears revenge on the magician, but he will learn that even at the point of vengeance there is no escape from the cruellest of fates.

Tolkien himself said that The Story of Kullervo was ‘the germ of my attempt to write legends of my own’, and was ‘a major matter in the legends of the First Age’. Tolkien’s Kullervo is the clear ancestor of Túrin Turambar, tragic incestuous hero of The Silmarillion. In addition to it being a powerful story in its own right, The Story of Kullervo – published here for the first time with the author’s drafts, notes and lecture-essays on its source-work, The Kalevala – is a foundation stone in the structure of Tolkien’s invented world.

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780008131364/the-story-of-kullervo

Anthony Ryan's The Waking Fire, book one of Draconis Memoria, is going to be published in July 2016:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waking-Fire-Draconis-Memoria-ebook/dp/B010PIFV32/

In a world undergoing an industrial revolution, certain people are able to drink the blood of wild drakes and perform superhuman feats. These 'Blood-Blessed' are employed by the Iron Ship Protectorate as spies, soldiers and assassins, defending the Protectorate's interests at home and abroad.

But now a crisis looms. Supplies of drake blood are running low, and the Corvantine Empire is gathering its military strength for an invasion. When a rumour surfaces of the existence of a white drake - long thought to be a myth - the Protectorate launches a desperate attempt to find it, knowing its capture could turn the tide of the war.

Tarkin I liked a lot, HTJ was...not good, not bad. It was fun to read but it was absolutely pointless and added nothing to the canon.

That new Clone Wars related book...I dunno. I am not a fan of Golden, to say the least.

I read Thrawn and pretty much bailed on most of the EU. I found it convoluted and repetitive. Good thing it doesn't exist anymore, right? I am, for one, glad for it. I know it had it's fans but most of it was dreck. I'm very interested in these new books thanks to the streamlined and unified canon. Interestingly, the one that caught my eye is these new "retellings" of the original trilogy. I'm kind of stoked for them, from what I've read.

Some good stuff from Ragnarok Publications out this year:

The Testament of Tall Eagle by John Fultz: Native American Fantasy with GIANT SANDWORMS and EXTRADIMENSIONAL EMPIRES!

The Price of Faith by Rob J. Hayes: Grimdark Sword and Sorcery. Third book in the Ties that Bind trilogy.

Esoterrorism by C.T. Phipps (a.k.a. me): Glamorous superspies in the employ of all-controlling evil conspiracy versus magical terrorists, monsters, and an evil corporation. More or less the Platonic opposite of the Laundry Files. I should know, because I love the Laundry Files.

Cogweaver by Kenny Soward: The third volume of the Gnomesaga series, which is basically D&D fiction only better with steampunk gnomes. The resolution of the main plot with who will become a god and invasion by the dimension-conquering Baron resolved.

Blackguards by Various: A giant anthology of Low Fantasy stories starring thieves with an opening by Glenn Cook. It's basically the book I expected Rogues to be.

Tales of the Black Raven by Seth Skorkowsky: A collection of short stories about a master thief in a Renassiance Venice meets Hyborian Age world.

Hounancier by Seth Skorkowsky: A voodoo priest with a magical machete named Romero hunts demons. The second of the Valducen series.

Plus from Amber Cover at the risk of self-promoting:

The Rules of Supervillainy by C.T. Phipps: Average man in Gotham City-esque hellhole finds a magic cloak and decides to live his dream of being a supervillain. Complicated by his wife, the fact he's not quite evil enough to pull it off, and a zombie-making curse.

Archived