Melissandre in the Show.

JustAnObsessedFan

I would have preferred that over what we got. Melisandre from the books towers over most people, men included. Stannis is not one of them, since he is supposed to be even taller than Melisandre, but it matters less so in his case.

...unless the height actually matters to the character (like the Mountain), then they will always cast who is best for the part.

Height doesn't matter to Stannis or Melisandre.

I disagree as concerns Melisandre. I find her height a distinguishing characteristic, much like it is for Brienne. She is supposed to look impressive and otherworldly. Her height is a big part of that.

I disagree as concerns Melisandre. I find her height a distinguishing characteristic, much like it is for Brienne. She is supposed to look impressive and otherworldly. Her height is a big part of that.

If you had never read the books, you wouldn't think it was necessary. It's only necessary in your mind because you already pictured her that way. But it's not, and never was, her height that makes Melisandre 'otherworldly'...her otherworldliness comes from her being a mysterious priestess with the ability to perform powerful magic.

If you had never read the books, you wouldn't think it was necessary.

That would apply to every character. There was thought and purpose as to why Martin chose to make her very tall and wrote her so, yes? Otherwise he would have never bothered to even say anything about her height, which is the case for most characters, especially the female ones.

That would apply to every character. There was thought and purpose as to why Martin chose to make her very tall and wrote her so, yes? Otherwise he would have never bothered to even say anything about her height, which is the case for most characters, especially the female ones.

You're missing the point. The point is that her height doesn't determine her character and it's not an integral part of it. With or without her height, she is still a mysterious priestess and follower of R'hollor with great power to do things for good or evil. Her height does absolutely NOTHING to help or hinder what she is.

Brienne's height is important to her character, because she's a warrior who can fight against men. It shapes her entire character. For her, height is an extremely important attribute.

THAT'S the point. Melisandre could be 5' or 6' tall...but it doesn't matter, because it doesn't make her what she is. Brienne couldn't be a warrior without being tall. Martin can make them exactly as he wants them...casting directors have to figure out what's the most important attributes and search for those because it's incredibly rare to find an actor who is absolutely perfect for the role. It would be utterly impossible for them to cast every character exactly as they are described in the books.

In any case, at 5'7", Carice is already significantly taller than most women. With heels, she will look taller than Jon Snow.

You're missing the point. The point is that her height doesn't determine her character and it's not an integral part of it. With or without her height, she is still a mysterious priestess and follower of R'hollor with great power to do things for good or evil. Her height does absolutely NOTHING to help or hinder what she is.

Brienne's height is important to her character, because she's a warrior who can fight against men. It shapes her entire character. For her, height is an extremely important attribute.

THAT'S the point. Melisandre could be 5' or 6' tall...but it doesn't matter, because it doesn't make her what she is. Brienne couldn't be a warrior without being tall. Martin can make them exactly as he wants them...casting directors have to figure out what's the most important attributes and search for those because it's incredibly rare to find an actor who is absolutely perfect for the role. It would be utterly impossible for them to cast every character exactly as they are described in the books.

In any case, at 5'7", Carice is already significantly taller than most women. With heels, she will look taller than Jon Snow.

Carice is 5'6. But yeah, with heels she towers over Kit.

It's really hard for a girl with heels not to tower over Kit.

Carice is 5'6. But yeah, with heels she towers over Kit.

It's really hard for a girl with heels not to tower over Kit.

Ah...I googled and it said 5'7"...still, that's pretty tall for a woman.

I'm 5'6", and I'm usually one of the tallest women in the room. But yeah, with heels she will definitely tower over Kit next season...it will be interesting to see the way that influences the relationship between Melisandre and Jon Snow.

Her height has little effect on her character but it is a major component of her persona, which is just as important when much of the appeal of the character, and her point, is how others react and perceive her.

I really wish they had used the camera and forced perspective, along with heels, to make Carice seem much taller than she is, but they never bothered. I doubt they will try now that she is at the Wall.

Ideally they would have cast Famke Janssen. She would have been close to perfect if this was fifteen years ago. Only Charlize Theron as Cersei Lannister could top that.

I really like Carice van Houten as Melisandre. I'm not a huge fan of some of the changes they've made to the character but I think she does a fantastic job playing her. Sure, she technically isn't tall enough relative to the other actors. That doesn't bother me much, though. I'm more ok with that kind of change than the silliness with Bran's story in season 4, for example.

Yeah why not just kill off one of the only rays of sunshine in the entire series (who is arguably even more adorable in the show) for the sake of Stannis turning his back on a religion he only nominally follows anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if D&D do exactly that and for exactly that reason.

...unless the height actually matters to the character (like the Mountain), then they will always cast who is best for the part.

Yeah Tyrion, The Mountain and Hodor are probably about the only characters whose heights are pretty important.

I'm a really big Melisandre fan but I'd never even think about her height when it comes to her character.

Stannis is certainly meant to be imposing in the books but what Dillane lacks for in height and build he makes up for in presence. He looked pretty fearsome in battle too.

He's also meant to look like a walking skeleton in the books as well :(

I think Carice does a pretty could job of looking otherworldly. The scene where Davos returns to Stannis and Mel just commands the room, Davos flinches away from her touch etc, is great. Just with her red robes and hair, and her accent she clearly differentiates herself from the rest of the cast. Making her taller would barely make any difference to viewers.

So, I'm reading the books currently - is the show writing the Melissandre character as a less powerful/magical woman than she is in the books?

Undoubtedly. She's also a lot less effective, pragmatic, smart, whatever you want to call it, in the show.

In the books she uses her religion as a political tool almost as much as Stannis does, and what her allies believe isn't a sticking point for her, you'll never see her burning people for refusing to convert like you do on GoT. As long as you're loyal to Stannis, she'll work with you, speak out for you, and potentially save you. Cressen was no fan of hers, she knew he wanted her dead, but she still offered him the chance to back off with the poison. Stannis swore never to treat with Renly while he wore a crown, but Melisandre convinced him to give him a last chance to join his side. Davos tried to assassinate her, but she nonetheless councils Stannis to bring him out of the dungeons because she's aware of Davos' loyalty, though it isn't to her.

Still, it's stated in the books that she can shoot flame out of her fingers. I think it would be a really awesome thing for viewers to see.

Its Benerro, High Priest of R'hllor, who shoots fire out of his fingers. Mel never showed or mentioned such a skill.

Its Benerro, High Priest of R'hllor, who shoots fire out of his fingers. Mel never showed or mentioned such a skill.

She set a bird on fire while it was flying hundreds of feet in the air but it was never made clear how she did that.

Archived