Why I wish GRRM wasn't releasing TWoIaF just yet

Not because that I rather him finish TWoW, but because some information may be held back because it may contain spoilers pertaining to the last two books.

I think it's great that GRRM has a project such as this, but I would rather it released AFTER all the books are out. That way they don't have to worry about withholding information as they pertain to the last two booksm and we could get a fully developed encyclopedia with ALL the information there is to include.

Iirc its been done in a way that will avoid spoilers relating to the future books (including Dunk and Egg, as Summerhall is supposedly not included.) Its just a book that will give background information on the novels, why the need to wait? It gives fans something to chew on while they wait without spoiling things.

They should have waited. Doesn't matter if George only helped out or did it on his own.

But this world book has no relevance to the events in ASOIAF.

This books ends before AGOT begins yeah there is some things that are revealed butI don't think it will spoil ASOIAF.

Not because that I rather him finish TWoW, but because some information may be held back because it may contain spoilers pertaining to the last two books.

I think it's great that GRRM has a project such as this, but I would rather it released AFTER all the books are out. That way they don't have to worry about withholding information as they pertain to the last two booksm and we could get a fully developed encyclopedia with ALL the information there is to include.

But we will get another encyclopedia after all ASOIAF novels. It will be called "Fire and Blood".

Iirc its been done in a way that will avoid spoilers relating to the future books (including Dunk and Egg, as Summerhall is supposedly not included.) Its just a book that will give background information on the novels, why the need to wait? It gives fans something to chew on while they wait without spoiling things.

from what I heard we're going to get quite a lot of spoilers in this book about Dunk and Egg

But this world book has no relevance to the events in ASOIAF.

This books ends before AGOT begins yeah there is some things that are revealed butI don't think it will spoil ASOIAF.

Well for example, the events at Hardhome are a big mystery. Maybe it will always remain a mystery, or the truth behind the disaster may come to light at some point in TWOW or ADOS. If that's the case, I doubt we will see anything about Hardhome in TWOIAF.

^ I don't think a maester would know much about what happens north of the wall, considering the nw doesn't even know.

I doubt there will be serious spoilers in the book, but there might be some things that had to be omitted from the book in order to keep it that way. they should have waited. this is just a way of feeding fans' appotites until twow.

I would also have preferred to have the book published with at least another book and a couple of D&E stories out. One of the thinks I enjoyed was picking hints and quotes to contruct a cohesive history abd timeline, and we'll lose that aspect now.

But we will get another encyclopedia after all ASOIAF novels. It will be called "Fire and Blood".

"Fire and Blood" won't be an encyclopedia. It'll be a compilation of lengthy tales about the early Targaryen monarchs, including "Aegon's Conquest", "the Sons of the Dragon", and the whole story of the Dance with Dragons. George initally compared it to the Silmarillion.

I don't think it really matters to the main series (maybe the Dunk and Egg stuff). This is supposed to be written before the main series, or at least before the last books, and by a maester, not a prophet. The way I look at it is this basically fills us in on the most important history and rumors (more heavy on post-conquest history) that are floating around Westeros, and would be known to most characters in the series. Telling us more of what they know rather than stuff they wouldn't.

I don't think the book will ruin anything for us. We'll get some new names and dates, but certainly not all of them.

For instance, I'd expect that of the D&E stories only TMK will be covered in some detail, since it covers the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. TSS should not be mentioned at all (why would a popular history of Westeros care about a pissing contest between a petty lady and landed knight?), and THK only in passing when Baelor Breakspear's untimely death is mentioned.

Later D&E stories should also cover some rather insignificant personal stories. True, we all expect them to feature in the Third Blackfyre Rebellion in some way, but since we'll expect that, it'll be no big surprise if the Worldbook confirms this - and if they do, they most likely won't give away exactly what they are going to do.

Archived