What would YOU have done? (Pick a decision you dislike in the story and change it)

Lord Defiance

One thing I love about ASoIaF is that generally, people behave like a normal human would. Some think carefully about what they should do but there are also MANY that think very stupidly. Whether they let honor, emotions, tradition, religion, or anything else get in the way, they will make one stupid mistake and it costs them everything.

The point of this thread is to portray yourself as someone in the books, whether they are a major character or a minor one, and alter what they would have done. Try and not bias your decision on knowing what happens in the books! Example being "I would have changed Robb's decision to not go back to the Twins." or something like that. Since he had no knowledge that he was going to be killed at the RW, at the time that was his best option (and also his worst since he married Jeyne.)

Me personally? I think the simplest answer would be to be Balon and change his plans for the Iron Islands. He talks about independence, and being the King of his own lands, or islands I should say, and all that. What does he do?

He plans on attack the OTHER house and people that wan't to be independent from the IT. He is blinded by not only tradition, the iron way, but also his emotions from losing his sons in the war from his first rebellion. He starts a rebellion, then gets pissy that people end up killing his sons. He started a war... did he think no one he cared about could possibly be killed? With his logic, shouldn't the families his sons killed also be able to take their revenge on his family or Theon and Asha?

He should have realized that his plan was flawed because it had no real direction. He was in between two different wants, and even if he had lived, he would have gotten nowhere. Hell at least Euron HAS a direction even if I think it will fail horribly.

I sympathize with Theon wanting to reconcile with his Greyjoy family and heritage, even his decision to take Winterfell. But the choice to try and hold Winterfell was foolish...

I would've raided Winterfell (while leaving as many people unharmed that I could), and brought back Bran, Rickon, Meera, Jojen, & the Freys as hostages.

If I was Rhaegar I would have banged Lyanna at the tourney, then went home to Kings Landing instead of running off from my wife and political obligations to be with a girl I just met like some kind of childish high schooler.

If I was Rhaegar I would have banged Lyanna at the tourney, then went home to Kings Landing instead of running off from my wife and political obligations to be with a girl I just met like some kind of childish high schooler.

or, "Hey Rickard, I know you're daughter's supposed to marry a high lord, but how about you set that sh*t aside so she can be a queen? I've got your Southron Ambitions right here!"

If I was Joffrey, I would have given Ned honorable exile at the Wall in exchange for publicly declaring me the true King and ordering Robb to bend the knee. I would then have tried to negotiate an alliance with Robb and Edmure against Renly and Stannis - besides Ned taking the black, I would offer to make Sansa Queen (as originally intended), help search for Arya, return Ice, and name Edmure to the Small Council in exchange for fighting my "usurper" uncles. If that didnt work, I could at least arrange a truce and prisoner exchange

If I could do it over again, I would have ducked more - I think Bran's suffering some brain damage.

Seriously, though, if I were Robb, I would have listened to my advisors a lot more. I'd have nipped the relationship with Jeyne Westerling in the bud instead of marrying her, I wouldn't have sent my father's insurance plan against Ironborn rebellion off to negotiate with said rebels, I would have buried the Lannister boys in secret and put Lord Karstark in the vanguard of the assault on Casterly Rock, where he'd most likely die in battle, only revealing that the squires had been killed once I had secured the Lannister castle as a negotiating chip for the release of my sisters. Finally, I'd have had another loyal Riverlands lord build another fucking bridge over that damn river so everyone could effectively give Walder Frey the finger from now on.

If I were Dany and I took Meereen after the Meerenese slavers have crucified 163 children, I would also go about punishing the guilty for that horrible crime immediately, but I would do it differently. I would organize an investigation and trials for this crime, in order to execute all those who supported the decision and spare those who opposed it. For that purpose, testimonies by both slaves and slavers would be needed.

This way I would kill two birds with one stone. I show that the lives of slaves matter and their murderers will be punished whoever they are, and I also demonstrate that I am committed to justice, true justice, rather than retribution and collective punishment. It would, no doubt, be a long and difficult task, and maybe I never get to reveal the whole truth, some guilty ones probably manage to lie and get away with it, some other may be less guilty but get convicted anyway, as always in the judicial process. But it's important that I try... and in the process, I get to kill that other bird: instead of consolidating the slaving class against me and showing them I'm the enemy of them all, I watch them turn against each other and accuse each other while trying to save their own asses.

Stannis: Head straight to KL at the beginning of ACoK instead of Storm's End. As soon as Tywin's forces roll out west to deal with Robb, King's Landing is lightly defended. A lightning naval strike to capture the capital while everyone's attention is focused on the Riverlands and Reach would have likely been successful, the Antler Men would not have been eliminated and one of them could have arranged to open the gates, and the city would have fallen quickly. Then I crown myself and fortify the town, and send out ravens pardoning all who will swear fealty, save Jaime, Cersei, and their children, who I execute as abominations (not Jaime, as he has been captured by Robb).

Renly would likely lack the strength of will to continue a rebellion against his crowned brother, as he was against a Lannister incest-bastard. Robb would be busy fighting Lannister forces, and given the destruction of their regime would be convincable to bend the knee (especially once the Greyjoys attack the North). Tywin would be caught between two forces and beaten.

Archived