R+L=J v.91

J. Stargaryen

Well, even as a bastard, she still sees him as a threat. That's part of her hatred of him. She thinks that her worst fears are realized when Robb says he intends on naming Jon his heir.

True, but then he's Ned's bastard. If he's Lyanna's, then technically even Benjen would come before him in succession (obviously if he wasn't in the NW).

She was more than happy to see him sent off to the Wall because neither Jon nor any of his children would challenge Robb or his children.

Again, she thinks he is NED'S child. That all changes if he is a nephew and not a son!

Again, she thinks he is NED'S child. That all changes if he is a nephew and not a son!

disagree. If Cat's own children were ever in danger do you think she wouldn't sell Jon out as the son of Rhaegar Targaryen in order to save her own kids? Ned didn't know either hence never telling Cat.

She might have told him that Jon was TPTWP or something, absolutely. It's a question then of would Ned believe it, or does he make a promise to tell Jon someday so that his sister can die in peace and without fear. When he finally gives whatever promise it was, the fear leaves her eyes and she dies.

This is excellent. Also gland my inquiry about what Rhaegar told Lyanna interest others.

The way Ned was blindsided by Jon wanting to go to the Wall, and Cat and Luwin pushed him, showed he was uneasy tying Rhaegar's son's fate with the NW. However, he couldn't blurt out, "He's the last dragon's last dragon," so to speak.

Plus we've seen numerous times that Ned, (and Robb), are shitty politicians.

disagree. If Cat's own children were ever in danger do you think she wouldn't sell Jon out as the son of Rhaegar Targaryen in order to save her own kids? Ned didn't know either hence never telling Cat.

She probably would. Says a lot about her. But she shouldn't fear the fact that Jon's claim would ever be better than her own children.

She probably would. Says a lot about her. But she shouldn't fear the fact that Jon's claim would ever be better than her own children.

Doesn't matter though because she'd never know who Jon was. She is living with the fear that Jon might try to take WF and Robb's claim. And Robb making Jon his heir is her worst nightmare.

Doesn't matter though because she'd never know who Jon was. She is living with the fear that Jon might try to take WF and Robb's claim. And Robb making Jon his heir is her worst nightmare.

Again, I think we aren't talking about the same things.

I'm saying she would know if Ned told her he's his nephew, not his son. This removes her fear, since Jon's claim would be worse then Rickon's or Benjen's (again ignoring the NW part). Also, if she raises him with love and not spite, he'd be even less likely to resent Robb, and want to support him all the more.

Her reaction/rage to Robb making Jon his heir in the context of the books ignores everything I am saying. Yes I get her reaction, since Robb is putting Jon ahead of Sansa and Arya, but if she knew, and never harbored all that fear and anger towards Jon, then her reaction might be different. She might even understand (given the absences/"deaths" of Bran and Rickon) that having a male heir, though not of her blood, makes sense, better positions House Stark and respects Weserosi law.

Sorry, not trying to ignore your post in it's entirety, but your first point is something I have a problem with. Aerys no longer trusts Rhaegar (thanks to Varys and hence his actions at the ToH). I can't see this paranoid fuck giving his KG to anyone, especially the man he thinks will betray and replace him.

Perhaps this mistrust is overstated. As you note the KG serve the King, if Aerys did not trust Rhaegar he could have recalled the KG. He didn't, might be he trusts Rhaegar a little. Aery's is the King, he can name a new heir and Crown Prince. He didn't, might be he trusts Rhaegar more than some people think.

I think the 3 KG at the ToJ remain loyal to their vows and oaths.

Again, I think we aren't talking about the same things.

I'm saying she would know if Ned told her he's his nephew, not his son. This removes her fear, since Jon's claim would be worse then Rickon's or Benjen's (again ignoring the NW part). Also, if she raises him with love and not spite, he'd be even less likely to resent Robb, and want to support him all the more.

Her reaction/rage to Robb making Jon his heir in the context of the books ignores everything I am saying. Yes I get her reaction, since Robb is putting Jon ahead of Sansa and Arya, but if she knew, and never harbored all that fear and anger towards Jon, then her reaction might be different. She might even understand (given the absences/"deaths" of Bran and Rickon) that having a male heir, though not of her blood, makes sense, better positions House Stark and respects Weserosi law.

I see what you're saying now. I'm just not sure if I agree 100% Would Cat be more likely to love Jon had she known he wasn't Ned's bastard; maybe yes. I think she'd still do her best to make sure he could never inherit WF. Still maybe encourage him to take the black, for instance.

Archived