I may have missed this - is the Other that helped Bran et al Benjen Stark?

weirwithal

No this theory has been floating around. There's a lot of good evidence that would point the Coldhands is Benjen. However, Leaf has one line which makes most people skeptical: "They killed him long ago". The children of the forest have been around forever and would know first hand if someone died recently or not. It's a small line so hey, maybe Benjen is Coldhands! I'm betting that Benjen is still alive somewhere up North. It seems pretty hard to kill Starks in these books.

Ser Illyn thought it was easy enough...

But on a serious note, I believe Coldhands is Benjen Stark. They killed him long ago is still reasonable since its likely Ben died when he went on that ranging, which by the time Bran reaches the Weirwood has been something like 2 years? I may be off on that but, still a possibility. And given the warg-like powers the entire stark family has and their bloodline being traced back to the First Men, with magic entering the realm again I think Ben rose as Coldhands

By the time Bran meets Coldhands, Benjen has been missing for 1,5 years. "they killed him long ago", as said by someone who is 200 years old, suggests that Coldhands has been dead for quite some time.

If Coldhands is Benjen, you'd wonder why Bran didn't recognize his voice. Or why Coldhands didn't show his face, since Bran would trust his uncle faster than he would a complete stranger.

Also, OP, small detail, Coldhands seems to be a wight, not an Other. There has been thread where it was discussed whether or not it would be possible for the Others to warg (skinchange into) the wights.. if this is indeed possible, than Coldhands could be one such wight who managed to break such a skinchanging bond... Or, perhaps a little crackpot, be warged by an Other who is working against his own kind, helping the Children instead.

Archived