Casting News from San Diego

Westeros

It seems Nina Gold continues to be excellent (no surprises there)! I feel like I'm the only one here who wouldn't mind if the Greyjoys and Arianne were cut.

I also wouldn't mind having the Greyjoy clan remaining to the ones we've already been introduced to.

I would like Arianne to be there though, mainly because I always imagined Deepika Padukone in that role.

I also don't think 7 seasons is feasible. They still have to cover some stuff from Feast and Dance in addition to Winds and Dream. Unless they significantly increase the length of each episode and add at least three more episodes to each season.

One of the things I hope does not remain consistent is their need to overdo sex scenes with gay and bisexual characters. Saw it with Renly and Oberyn. If Nymeria turns out to be lesbian I hope we don't see her naked or in a brothel in every single scene.

It took me three times listening to it , but I heard David Benioff say "some" new cast, I did hear that right didn't I?

You did hear that right and judging from HBO's announcement that goes with the casting news, there'll be more characters to be announced later on, so let's leave the torches and pitchforks in the shed for now and be grateful for what we've got.

I already have a crush on the girl that plays Tyene, even though she looks completely different than what I imagined. I hope that stupid scene that we saw in the leaked audition video won't be on the show.

I honestly don't understand how they can stay faithful to the story while cutting so many important characters. Oh well, we'll see.

In fairness to that scene, the actress in the audition wasn't very good. The actress they cast as Tyene however seemed to be very charismatic, even in that snippet of screentime we got of her in the casting video. She and Jerome Flynn could sell the scene in the audition just fine, I think. Dialogue sounds worse when delivered badly. The Bronn lines in that audition aren't bad if you read the transcript and read them in the accent Flynn uses for the part and with his intonation and diction.

In fairness to that scene, the actress in the audition wasn't very good. The actress they cast as Tyene however seemed to be very charismatic, even in that snippet of screentime we got of her in the casting video. She and Jerome Flynn could sell the scene in the audition just fine, I think.

I just don't like that scene, period. It's so ridiculous and pointless.

You're doing it to yourself. The show isn't going to be exactly the same as the books. Enjoy each for what they are.

Since when has Tyene preferred knives to poison? And when did Ellaria become her mother? When did she stop being blonde? Why isn't Obara big boned and dark? When did her mother change from random whore to random peasant girl? Where the hell is Sarella? What about Arianne? WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO ME??

Jonathan Price and Alexander Siddig will both be great. I don't know enough about the other lot but they are probably going to be as good as most of the actors and actresses that were unknown before they were cast in previous years. No Arianne will probably work well if you have never read the books. D and d have never been known for their commitment to feminism so it is not surprising that they are making this change, however needless it may be.

Still hoping for some Iron island stuff though.

I also don't think 7 seasons is feasible. They still have to cover some stuff from Feast and Dance in addition to Winds and Dream. Unless they significantly increase the length of each episode and add at least three more episodes to each season.

One of the things I hope does not remain consistent is their need to overdo sex scenes with gay and bisexual characters. Saw it with Renly and Oberyn. If Nymeria turns out to be lesbian I hope we don't see her naked or in a brothel in every single scene.

You're so right - it is disgusting. However, I think we all agree, they should continue to show sexposition scenes with straight characters because that is NORMAL and far more acceptable. We should start a campaign: 'Sex for Hetties only!', we could get various far Right parties to join us. Hell, we could go to WAR

But this was expected.

They will end in 7 seasons, they have said it repeatedly.

David, Dan, members of the cast [ Aiden & Sophie Turner to VanityFair interviews] said Earlier that Season 5 will have MAJOR differences from books.

Jaime is in Dorne, Jeyne is dead, Tysha was a whore.

Jaqen is Aryas teacher, Arianne is cut, Sansa has sailed into TWOW.

Jojen died. Nights King has already appeared. Balon lives.

The show is not the books. Except even more drastic changes.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Could be for the best or for the worst, but I'm not overly confident about this.

You're so right - it is disgusting. However, I think we all agree, they should continue to show sexposition scenes with straight characters because that is NORMAL and far more acceptable. We should start a campaign: 'Sex for Hetties only!', we could get various far Right parties to join us. Hell, we could go to WAR

I seriously hope you're being sarcastic here. I was being serious though. D&D always feel the need to conform to modern ideas of what it is to be LGBT, in other words--stereotypes. And we got the message, Oberyn is bisexual, that doesn't mean he only hangs out in brothels and only with naked people. He's a deeper character than that. That's what I'm against, D&D have a tendency to strip down homosexual and bisexual characters to just the sex, pun intended. Renly was deeper than just his sexuality yet that's all I took from his arc on the show. Same thing with Loras. What I'm saying is I hope they don't butcher Nymeria with unnecessary brothel scenes.

I imagine some of the casting will remain a secret so as not to spoil non-book readers. Announcing (f)Agon, and to a lesser extent (f)Arya, removes the potential for some great surprise moments.

I am really dissappointed about Arianne, but I think taking Jamie and Bronn to Dorne is a really smart move. As much as I love the many wonderful, colorful, side sharacters n the books, keeping the focus on characters (and actors) we already know and love is a great way to shrink down this sprawling story for TV, even if their changes sometimes make me want to throw things at the television.

Archived