[Book spoilers] Whats the big event going to be in S05E09?

Bettley

Daznak's Pit cannot happen in Episode 10. Dany has to fly off on Drogon before Episode 10, because Tyrion will likely spend Episode 10 escaping from his imprisonment, meaning that Daznak's Pit and Dany flying has to come earlier; I think it's safe to say that he won't end the season still a slave. And if Dany's Daznak Pit is a Dracarys-level moment for her, it will happen at the end of the episode, and no earlier; since putting it at the end of Episode 10 would mean that Tyrion would still be a slave, that rules out Episode 10 for Daznak's Pit.

I do think Daznak's Pit will likely take place in Episode 9. I can't see it happening much earlier due to all the Tyrion material the show has to get through to get him to Daznak's Pit, and I doubt it will be later for the reasons I mentioned.

The best way for the show to "get through" that material is with a Valyrian steel machete. Ditch the pole boat, turtles, greyscale, etc. and show his enslavement, arrival at Meereen, and whatever else happens before Daznak's.

Episode 9:

-Arya's first contracted kill and face change

-Possibly Cersei's imprisonment or Walk of Shame (though I think the latter might be finale material)

-Battle of Ice ending in a cliffhanger (not knowing what's what)

-Ends with the Daznak Pit

Episode 10:

-Daznak Pit aftermath

-Walk of Shame

-Jon receives the Pink Letter

-Stannis revealed to be alive

-Dany rides Drogon in the Dothraki sea

-Jon reads out the Pink Letter to everyone, a fight begins between Wildlings and Night's Watch, "For the Watch."

-Winter comes to Westeros and we get a huge glimpse at the White Walkers

I could see things being structured very differently, if my assumptions about early Winds of Winter are true. If not, I agree with Coldhands the Just.

Episode 7:

Cersei imprisoned

Reek's Resuce of fArya

Daznak's pit

Episode 8:

Brienne comes for Jaime

Battle of Winterfell

Arya changing Faces

Cersei in Prison and Jaime's "Cast it in the Fire", near the beginning, Bring a white cloak to Qyburn and tell him that it is time.

Barristan's coup

Episode 9: The Fall

Dragontaming

Pink Letter

For the Watch

Walk of Shame

Dany in Dothraki Sea (final Dance chapter), and with Dothraki

Jaime/Brienne/Stoneheart

Episode 10:

Stoneheart aftermath

For the Watch aftermath-early Winds(?)

Battle of Meereen workaround (no battle in the show)

Winter comes and Pycelle (kevan too if they have him) dies

We know there are definitely TWO SEASONS given the green light by HBO to the producers.

Consider that FEAST and DRAGONS cover the same period, They're both halves of the storyline. I don't see the show's writers cramping themselves to get both in to one season. I'd rather there be something approximating to keeping to a time line.

Since when does it become a rule that the penultimate episode be the one where something cataclysmic, horrific or major happens? Simply because it's been e09 previously doesn't make it a rule. It's a trap the show's producer have dug for themselves. So, what would their cliche be?

The Battle for Winterfell hasn't happened yet. The forces are gathering prior to it taking place. I can't remember who it was but, I'm sure it's been said that The Battle is an unresolved issue to be dealt with in WINDS. If it's not in the pages of current books, it should not be in the show until it is. No way should the show overtake the books!!!

If there has to be a battle for s05e09's big event it's the one at Deepwood Motte. (battles = e09 cliche)

Jon's Pink Letter Day could make sense as s06e09 - but works better as e10 cliffhanger. Avoids cliche with Ned & RW being e09.

Cersei's Walk of Shame for s06e09?.... Maybe.... but leaving Ser Robert Strong for e10.

It's.... Dragon Time! with Drogon & Dany for s06e09. What else can it be? Grand CGI with bigger DROGON.

As this brings us to mid 2016..... Could WINDS be published by then?

I agree. They seem to have cast around it. It is looking like the resolution to the Meereenese plot line will be much simpler on television than in print.

Makes me happy. At some point, a TV show just can't compete with movies for awesome action scenes anyway. Much better to keep the plot moving and get out of Mereen than to slow down for a big battle of Mereen.

We know there are definitely TWO SEASONS given the green light by HBO to the producers.

Consider that FEAST and DRAGONS cover the same period, They're both halves of the storyline. I don't see the show's writers cramping themselves to get both in to one season. I'd rather there be something approximating to keeping to a time line.

Since when does it become a rule that the penultimate episode be the one where something cataclysmic, horrific or major happens? Simply because it's been e09 previously doesn't make it a rule. It's a trap the show's producer have dug for themselves. So, what would their cliche be?

The Battle for Winterfell hasn't happened yet. The forces are gathering prior to it taking place. I can't remember who it was but, I'm sure it's been said that The Battle is an unresolved issue to be dealt with in WINDS. If it's not in the pages of current books, it should not be in the show until it is. No way should the show overtake the books!!!

If there has to be a battle for s05e09's big event it's the one at Deepwood Motte. (battles = e09 cliche)

Jon's Pink Letter Day could make sense as s06e09 - but works better as e10 cliffhanger. Avoids cliche with Ned & RW being e09.

Cersei's Walk of Shame for s06e09?.... Maybe.... but leaving Ser Robert Strong for e10.

It's.... Dragon Time! with Drogon & Dany for s06e09. What else can it be? Grand CGI with bigger DROGON.

Man, they're doing seven seasons. Do you want one season of AFfC/ADwD and one each of TWoW and ADoS? Those are your options: two seasons of transition or two seasons of plot resolution. Choose wisely!

Makes me happy. At some point, a TV show just can't compete with movies for awesome action scenes anyway. Much better to keep the plot moving and get out of Mereen than to slow down for a big battle of Mereen.

When did the Meereenese plot have awesome action scenes?

The show will continue to overpass the books. Sansa already has, and Bran was almost done with his book material by the end of season 4. Maybe TWOW comes out before season 5 finishes, but nobody is promising that. Book 7 certainly won't come out before season 7. Most of the other plot lines probably won't delve far into TWOW, but the show has not tended to leave major cliffhangers over season breaks. The battle at the Fist of the First men is the only season break cliffhanger I can think of, and it was kind of mangled.

When did the Meereenese plot have awesome action scenes?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I expect TWOW to have a big battle of Mereen with some awesome stuff happening. A big naval battle, huge armies, dragons on the loose - those are the awesome action scenes I was referring to. My point was that while the show can do good battle episodes, they are a small part of what makes the show good, and certainly aren't more important than plotting good season arcs that don't leave a quarter of the cast mucking about in Mereen forever.

Because that one will be massively expensive. And a lot of its plot points is reduced in the show : only one mercenary company so far, probably no Greyjoy fleet... most likely it will just consist on Barristan leading Dany's troups against the army of Yunka'ï and Qarth while Tyrion is doing some shenaningans somewhere in the middle.

either Battle at Winterfell or Jon 'dies', alongside Penance walk.

Would be cool to see DwD epilogue in ep10... non book readers have no indication (iirc) of Varys intentions besides his interaction with Illaryio in season 1. That and Prince Dorans big reveal would be really cool, add another layer to the plot for strictly show viewers and would speed up Danys arc - which they're more than likely to do

I was thinking about this driving into work this morning (as you do), I believe we should anticipate that by the end of next season we will be up with the current books, with perhaps a few exceptions and also have some of the Winds material in front of us.

I have long since believed that confirmation of Jon's fate will be first made in Winds and not the show but now that is looking very tight unless the Ides of March is Episode 10 and I am mixed as to whether they will do that. For me Daznak's pit and Battle of Winterfell are perfect episode 9 material and Jon in episode 10. If they stab Jon in episode 9 and then announce his fate in episode 10 there will be a lot of very angry book readers!

Is everyone assuming they're going to try and cram everything from AFFC and DWD into one season? Is there no climactic moment halfway through either story? (I couldn't think of one...)

A while back I read or saw an interview with Benioff and Weis, and they said that seasons 5 concerned them from day one b/c I think they're only planning on doing half of AFFC and ADWD, and there was not an obviously event anywhere near the middle of those books (nothing like the Red Wedding in ASOS). However, when they omitted Stoneheart in Season 4 my first thought was that they could be saving her intro for the Season 5 big event by using her meeting with Brienne and Pod.

What is this madness about cutting the Battle of Meereen? Why would anyone possibly think that's a reasonable idea? It's the conclusion to Dany's Meerenese arc. It's a huge battle with multiple sides and dragons. Not putting that on TV would be insane.

A big problem with the Battle of Mereen is that Dany probably isn't even present for the battle, and the battle's outcome doesn't matter much to her at the time when it happens. I think the show might combine the battle with the fighting pits event - Dany flies away, a surprise attack is triggered, we see a little action with Tyrion, Jorah, Dario, Barristan, Greyworm, and Missandei, and then cut to aftermath.

A while back I read or saw an interview with Benioff and Weis, and they said that seasons 5 concerned them from day one b/c I think they're only planning on doing half of AFFC and ADWD, and there was not an obviously event anywhere near the middle of those books (nothing like the Red Wedding in ASOS). However, when they omitted Stoneheart in Season 4 my first thought was that they could be saving her intro for the Season 5 big event by using her meeting with Brienne and Pod.

They are doing 7 seasons for 7 books. Book 3 got most of two seasons, books 4 and 5 are mostly going to be squished into one season, and then books 6 and 7 each roughly get one season. Books 4 and 5 introduce a lot of new characters rather than focusing on the interesting characters we already know, and put a lot of the characters in isolated circumstances. It would make for a dramatically different, slower show to spread the events of books 4 and 5 across two seasons.

With all the cutting they are doing with both storylines and characters it is very hard to predict what the big events at the end of the season are going to be especially with a location like Meereen. I am still going to stick to my belief that Tyrion and Dany will meet in episode 10 this year. How they get to this point with both characters is the question.

Jons incident would be saved for episode 10 defo if it is this season, which chronologicaly it would have to be. Defo ep10 so it would be a massive cliff hanger for season 6. HBO love those

the thing is the show never left anything that big as a cliff hanger at the last episode ....agreed they had some cliff hangers in between episodes but not at the last episode ..its always been follow up of the ninth episode

for me the walk and pink letter and pit alll will be done in ninth episode if there is no battle and we will see their follow ups in tenth episode

the thing is the show never left anything that big as a cliff hanger at the last episode ....agreed they had some cliff hangers in between episodes but not at the last episode ..its always been follow up of the ninth episode

Until this year, as the people making the show noted themselves.

Deepwood Motte, if they have it, should be around 5x05 or 5x06- the story has to progress enough to get to the WoS this season, since we know GoT got a license for a naked walk through Dubrovnik.

The director who was meant to pen Blackwater is doing 505 and 506, so fingers crossed that they're doing a good Deepwood Motte fight scene in those episodes!

Archived