[Book spoilers] Whats the big event going to be in S05E09?

Bettley

A big problem with the Battle of Mereen is that Dany probably isn't even present for the battle, and the battle's outcome doesn't matter much to her at the time when it happens. I think the show might combine the battle with the fighting pits event - Dany flies away, a surprise attack is triggered, we see a little action with Tyrion, Jorah, Dario, Barristan, Greyworm, and Missandei, and then cut to aftermath.

That might work, but they'd have big chronolgy issues with Dany off doing her own thing while everyone waits around. It's easier to just follow the books and delay the battle a few episodes after the Daznak Pit scene (which means it'll probably end up early in season 6) while Dany finishes her stuff with the Dothraki. Shrink the battle into half an episode and put it in episode 2 (kind of like the Purple Wedding in season 4) while making it less bombastic and expensive than the book version (by removing the naval battle and releasing the dragons during the battle). Then Dany can be back at Meereen in episode 3 and they'll just rush to Dany arriving at Westeros by the end of season 6. It gives Dany three episodes with the Dothraki and spends no time waiting around. And it's also an epic battle scene very early on which is sure to excite people a lot.

the thing is the show never left anything that big as a cliff hanger at the last episode ....agreed they had some cliff hangers in between episodes but not at the last episode ..its always been follow up of the ninth episode

for me the walk and pink letter and pit alll will be done in ninth episode if there is no battle and we will see their follow ups in tenth episode

The show delights in not conforming to expectations. I don't think looking at the past gives us a good estimate of what they'll do.

Until this year, as the people making the show noted themselves.

yes but still i dont think there was any big cliffhangers in the last episode of this season....then again it maybe only me but i felt there was no cliffhangers because i already know what is happening because of books

The show delights in not conforming to expectations. I don't think looking at the past gives us a good estimate of what they'll do.

i agree the coming season will not be same past seasons where you will have slow start and build up to the end and speed them up in the later ...

even this season was not like that it was all set up early on from purple wedding and its aftermath ...next season they will have even more fast pacing of the episodes

but maybe because i dont want to wait for another year to know how he will survive that so telling myself that the writers will not keep that as a cliffhanger ...who doesnt want know what is going to happen to him after that ...for one thing it will put lot of theories false ...for that alone i want to see that next year its happening

S05E09 - Battle of Winterfell

S06E09 - Battle of Meereen

It could be logical that eventually D&D will do a divide just like Martin did. All Feast/Dance storylines compressed into one season seems near impossible, so maybe they'll speed up some storylines (Tyrion, Dorne, Vale, The North), while minimizing others (Samwell only gets to Braavos, one or two scenes for the Iron Islands and Bran), then they can do this in reverse for season 6 and for season 7 all storylines arrive at nearly the same point...

S05E09 - Battle of Winterfell

S06E09 - Battle of Meereen

It could be logical that eventually D&D will do a divide just like Martin did. All Feast/Dance storylines compressed into one season seems near impossible, so maybe they'll speed up some storylines (Tyrion, Dorne, Vale, The North), while minimizing others (Samwell only gets to Braavos, one or two scenes for the Iron Islands and Bran), then they can do this in reverse for season 6 and for season 7 all storylines arrive at nearly the same point...

No way. Dany has to get to Westeros by season 6 or they'll never finish in 7 seasons. I'd rather they rush through the Meereen arc and the travels to Westeros than rush through her actual interactions in Westeros.

Dany will get to Westeros? Why are you so certain of that? :lol:

Jokes aside, I guess this is judging by that they will only have 7 seasons. I don't know about that, but I doubt that they will have money for 2 huge battles in one season... that being said, they might skip the battle of Meereen (although it frustrates me that everyone takes the idea about Victarion's fleet only being a ferry ride to Westeros for granted...)

What is this madness about cutting the Battle of Meereen? Why would anyone possibly think that's a reasonable idea? It's the conclusion to Dany's Meerenese arc. It's a huge battle with multiple sides and dragons. Not putting that on TV would be insane.

The battle of Meereen, even in the BOOKS is pretty much completely pointless. See, every single major character ( Victarion, Tyrion, Barristan, etc. ) are on Dany's side already. And on the other side we have... Baby eating slavers. Yeah.

It is pretty much a forgone conclusion because there is absolutely no way the Baby Eating Slavers would end up winning. ALL the interesting questions are about what happens after the battle or to specific characters. as in:

-Tyrion meeting Dany

-Jorah, Barristan, what will they do

-Victarion, will the dragon horn work

-etc.

In fact none of them even require a battle at all.

People tend to exaggerate how much stuff Dany has left to do in Essos, it's really not that much.

1. Obtain a closure regarding slave people, dothraki and other scums of the east that Dany had no business associating with in the first place. Burning every one of them slowly and painfully would be my choice, but I'll take less radical solutions like leaving Shavepate and Grey Worm in charge of Meereen.

2. Meet Tyrion

3. Meet Victarion

4. Get dragons under control. Appoint dragon riders ( Tyrion/Jorah/whatever ). dragon horn might be useful here

5. Get on to Victarion's boat AND LEAVE.

I predict this stuff will take less than half of WoW, at most. In the show it's even simpler, with Victarion not there they might just give Daario some of his stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if most, or all of the above happens in season 5.

Dany ending season 5 by returning to Westeros is too good for them to pass up. And lets face it, non readers won't be taking this crap much longer, they are already fed up with Dany playing RPG in the middle of nowhere. The vast majority of book and non book readers are united in wanting Dany to get to Westeros ASAP and start interacting with the characters that actually matter.

That might work, but they'd have big chronolgy issues with Dany off doing her own thing while everyone waits around. It's easier to just follow the books and delay the battle a few episodes after the Daznak Pit scene (which means it'll probably end up early in season 6) while Dany finishes her stuff with the Dothraki. Shrink the battle into half an episode and put it in episode 2 (kind of like the Purple Wedding in season 4) while making it less bombastic and expensive than the book version (by removing the naval battle and releasing the dragons during the battle). Then Dany can be back at Meereen in episode 3 and they'll just rush to Dany arriving at Westeros by the end of season 6. It gives Dany three episodes with the Dothraki and spends no time waiting around. And it's also an epic battle scene very early on which is sure to excite people a lot.

From what GRRM's said about TWOW, it sounds like in addition to the time Dany spends alone in the wilderness, she spends significant time with the Dothraki. You're assuming that she returns to Mereen in the aftermath of the battle to reunite with her followers - what if she doesn't? Some people die in the Battle of Mereen, and Tyrion and Victarion have little reason to stay in Mereen after the battle if Dany isn't around. Maybe the Unsullied mostly stay in Essos? Westeros really isn't their fight.

And the show really wouldn't have a problem with not checking in on Jorah and Missandei for a few episodes in early season 6. Whenever Dany does come back, they can be there waiting for her. We don't have to see them twiddling their thumbs in the meantime.

Particularly if there is an Aegon, Dany needs to get out of Essos in early season 6 by getting through the Mereenese arc in season 5. Presumably if there is an Aegon, Dany's story in season 6 is mostly about dealing with him. The battle of Mereen doesn't enhance that story at all. And even if there isn't an Aegon, Dany's season 6 story is probably about the game of thrones so that her season 7 story is about the song of ice and fire, right?

I think come hell or high water, Dany making a dramatic entrance on the shores of Westeros is going to be the big visual shocker for the ends of TWOW and season 6. And that the Wall coming down will be the other huge shocking moment. Imagine those two events closing out the book/season, they help thrust the plot forward at just the right time.

I don't think she's going to get to Westeros any earlier than that.

The battle of Mereen can easily happen off camera on the show. Have the audience follow what's going on with Dany and the Dothraki, and we know she is running out of time to help save her city. She gets back after her friends have won the day, and they expect her to re-enter the city and take control. Then the choice is, do they show Dany traveling to Westeros? Or do they leave her off camera for a few episodes to build a surprise dramatic entrance of her getting to Westeros?

If they do that, it might be best to leave her after the battle of Mereen intentionally not answering her followers question about her next move, kind of like Stannis disappearing before helping the Wall.

At this point, I wonder will Balon Greyjoy ever die in the show?

I hope he is shown dead right off the bat in season 5. When Asha/Yara arrives home to find she missed her father's death and her uncle already having prevailed in a Kingsmoot while she was gone.

I hope he is shown dead right off the bat in season 5. When Asha/Yara arrives home to find she missed her father's death and her uncle already having prevailed in a Kingsmoot while she was gone.

That cannot happen, because no new Greyjoys were cast. That arc has been neglected all the way through season 4 and I fear D&D may continue to neglect it concentrating on Reek. Not that Reek isn't important, but so are Euron the Homocidal Maniac and Victarion the Undead.

Just because they haven't told us Eruon has been cast doesn't mean it won't happen. For instance, they can't really tell us Aegon is cast because that's supposed to be a surprise for viewers.

I'm sure Balon is going to die, or what would have been the point of Stannis and the 3 leeches? Why set that plot point up? Hell, even if they don't cast Vic, Euron, or some amalgamation of the characters (which I think still will happen), they might decide to have Asha/Yara rule after finding Balon dead when she comes home. I imagine they'll go way off the reservation again in regards to the Iron Born subplot, but there will still be something resembling it, in a shortened, streamlined form.

Yara pulling a Torgen "The Latecomer" Greyiron? I could see this.

That cannot happen, because no new Greyjoys were cast. That arc has been neglected all the way through season 4 and I fear D&D may continue to neglect it concentrating on Reek. Not that Reek isn't important, but so are Euron the Homocidal Maniac and Victarion the Undead.

:agree: There HAS to be at least one new Greyjoy!

They could have a Euron, and skip Victarion altogether. A Euron give Asha and Theon something to overcome back home later in the series, like in the books. What they can probably live without (I'm guessing of course on this one) is Victarion's role. If he turns out to do something really vital in TWOW, they can have other characters around Dany do it.

This is getting way off topic of what a S5E9 would look like, getting into season 6 stuff, but it's hard to gauge that episode without thinking about what needs to be set up for the following season.

Just because they haven't told us Eruon has been cast doesn't mean it won't happen. For instance, they can't really tell us Aegon is cast because that's supposed to be a surprise for viewers.

I'm sure Balon is going to die, or what would have been the point of Stannis and the 3 leeches? Why set that plot point up? Hell, even if they don't cast Vic, Euron, or some amalgamation of the characters (which I think still will happen), they might decide to have Asha/Yara rule after finding Balon dead when she comes home. I imagine they'll go way off the reservation again in regards to the Iron Born subplot, but there will still be something resembling it, in a shortened, streamlined form.

I am not sure why Aegon has to be a surprise. They can say they cast Young Griff, not Aegon. And I understand your point about three leeches being Chekhov's gun, but so was Taysha and her story never played its part in the end.

I am not sure why Aegon has to be a surprise. They can say they cast Young Griff, not Aegon. And I understand your point about three leeches being Chekhov's gun, but so was Taysha and her story never played its part in the end.

Those are very different things though. The Tysha story in the show was just something that introduced us to the character of Shae and Shae commented on Tysha being a prostitute for sure. On the other hand the leech scene was far bigger than that and the three names were the only point of the scene. They weren't introducing anyone new or doing anything else than showing Melisandre's magic.

Those are very different things though. The Tysha story in the show was just something that introduced us to the character of Shae and Shae commented on Tysha being a prostitute for sure. On the other hand the leech scene was far bigger than that and the three names were the only point of the scene. They weren't introducing anyone new or doing anything else than showing Melisandre's magic.

No. Both things are Chekhov guns plot vehicles. Since D&D are inventing as they go along, I am very fearful about many arcs, especially about the Greyjoy family one.

The battle of Meereen, even in the BOOKS is pretty much completely pointless. See, every single major character ( Victarion, Tyrion, Barristan, etc. ) are on Dany's side already. And on the other side we have... Baby eating slavers. Yeah.

It is pretty much a forgone conclusion because there is absolutely no way the Baby Eating Slavers would end up winning. ALL the interesting questions are about what happens after the battle or to specific characters. as in:

-Tyrion meeting Dany

-Jorah, Barristan, what will they do

-Victarion, will the dragon horn work

-etc.

In fact none of them even require a battle at all.

People tend to exaggerate how much stuff Dany has left to do in Essos, it's really not that much.

1. Obtain a closure regarding slave people, dothraki and other scums of the east that Dany had no business associating with in the first place. Burning every one of them slowly and painfully would be my choice, but I'll take less radical solutions like leaving Shavepate and Grey Worm in charge of Meereen.

2. Meet Tyrion

3. Meet Victarion

4. Get dragons under control. Appoint dragon riders ( Tyrion/Jorah/whatever ). dragon horn might be useful here

5. Get on to Victarion's boat AND LEAVE.

I predict this stuff will take less than half of WoW, at most. In the show it's even simpler, with Victarion not there they might just give Daario some of his stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if most, or all of the above happens in season 5.

Dany ending season 5 by returning to Westeros is too good for them to pass up. And lets face it, non readers won't be taking this crap much longer, they are already fed up with Dany playing RPG in the middle of nowhere. The vast majority of book and non book readers are united in wanting Dany to get to Westeros ASAP and start interacting with the characters that actually matter.

I don't think she will be going to Westeros at the end of this season but I as I said above I think what they can't pass up is getting Tyrion and Dany together this season. I will honestly be very surprised if we don't see any scenes with the two of them by the end of the season.

Archived