GRRM Not Writing for Season 5

Westeros

Well, this is an interesting revelation at EW’s interview with yesterday’s panelists. When asked if he’s writing for season 5, George admits that he is not, in fact, doing so. This will be the first time that the show has not had a GRRM-penned episode. Martin cites his work on The Winds of Winter as the primary reason. You can find the full interview below (the question, and Martin’s response, starts at the 1:10 mark):

Visit the Site!

I think between this and his Jeyne comment on the panel the writers are finally getting well deserved shots for how they treated his books

How is him noting that Jeyne will be featured in the prologue a "shot"? And I hardly see his not writing a new episode as one; it reflects his own need to get the series finished (which isn't going to happen, but he could possibly get the sixth book out in time.

How is him noting that Jeyne will be featured in the prologue a "shot"? And I hardly see his not writing a new episode as one; it reflects his own need to get the series finished (which isn't going to happen, but he could possibly get the sixth book out in time.

If you don't see that I can't help you, but it's not a matter of noting but including

I think between this and his Jeyne comment on the panel the writers are finally getting well deserved shots for how they treated his books

If anything I thought Benioff and Weiss took a shot at him and not him at them. Their final comments at the end of the panel were odd to me, especially Weiss finishing the whole thing off with the comment about how an author's books remain the same as he wrote them on his shelf.

If anything I thought Benioff and Weiss took a shot at him and not him at them. Their final comments at the end of the panel were odd to me, especially Weiss finishing the whole thing off with the comment about how an author's books remain the same as he wrote them on his shelf.

There was a great deal of tension between them and him that's for sure.

Their final comments at the end of the panel were odd to me, especially Weiss finishing the whole thing off with the comment about how an author's books remain the same as he wrote them on his shelf.

That sounds more like a "shot" at book fans who complain that D&D "ruined the books" to me.

I don't know what people want to insist that GRRM and the showrunners have some kind of antagonistic relationship. I think George understand the nature of adaptations and I think the showrunners respect his work.

While I don't think they have an antagonistic relationship, I think Grrm did think they would take their time getting through his story (not 1 book per season) and is no doubt very disappointed that they are not. But yes, he does understand the nature of the business better than most.

I don't know what people want to insist that GRRM and the showrunners have some kind of antagonistic relationship. I think George understand the nature of adaptations and I think the showrunners respect his work.

That sounds more like a "shot" at book fans who complain that D&D "riuned the books" to me.

:agree: I totally agree with you 2, but of course people will use anything as "evidence" to bash GRRM or D&D.

As for the news itself, I'm glad Martin is taking some more time to finish his books and droping some of his side-projects.

While I don't think they have an antagonistic relationship, I think Grrm did think they would take their time getting through his story (not 1 book per season) and is no doubt very disappointed that they are not. But yes, he does understand the nature of the business better than most.

What more time could they have though? HBO gives them 10 episode Seasons and they're not goin to have 15 Seasons to adapt everything from the book. George knows this.

What more time could they have though? HBO gives them 10 episode Seasons and they're not goin to have 15 Seasons to adapt everything from the book. George knows this.

Does he also know why they needlessly change things from his books for no other reason than 'we can'?

Good for George for distancing himself, as much as I think it's a bullshit excuse because come on, he procrastinates so much it's not very believable when he says 'oh, can't, gotta write'.

Everyone knows that now but I would wager George was not aware of it when they were starting. D&D weren't even sure how long things would go and kept saying all they were hoping for was to be able to reach the Red Wedding. Well, they reached it and Grrm likely assumed they'd follow his lead and take time to tell the story. Then HBO (and D&D, IMO) said 7 seasons, no mas, and all the proverbial shit hit the fan. That's what's likely behind this "rush" now.

Archived