Why does everyone hate the Lannisters?

Correction: Tywin paid others to do it and take the blame because he had proven incapable of destroying their favorite house.

He gave the go ahead, just goes to show his influence, Robb's own vassals answer to him instead of their so called king.

No. If anything the show has made Tywin, Cersei, Tyrion, and Joffrey to a small extent more sympathetic.

Joffrey? Show Joffrey is worse like 10 times. Cersei and Tyrion definitely are, also it doesn't really help show Cersei, she is still a villain, and Tywin is not much different.

Joffrey? Show Joffrey is worse like 10 times. Cersei and Tyrion definitely are, also it doesn't really help show Cersei, she is still a villain, and Tywin is not much different.

Have to disagree here. They are most definitely NOT as a villainous in the show as they are in the books. In the show they've already laid the groundwork for CR being bankrupt, meaning come time to pay the piper Cersei will not be able to because of something out of her control, rather than not paying because "I'm the queen and I don't want to." Tyrion? I'll let the scene in Tywin's bedchamber speak for itself on that one. (Hint: In the book Shae doesn't lunge at him...) Jaime is the only one you could argue is being made to look more villainous in the show, as they are essentially destroying his redemption arc. (Unless, of course, they're now going for the redeemed sister-raper look :rolleyes: )

Have to disagree here. They are most definitely NOT as a villainous in the show as they are in the books. In the show they've already laid the groundwork for CR being bankrupt, meaning come time to pay the piper Cersei will not be able to because of something out of her control, rather than not paying because "I'm the queen and I don't want to." Tyrion? I'll let the scene in Tywin's bedchamber speak for itself on that one. (Hint: In the book Shae doesn't lunge at him...) Jaime is the only one you could argue is being made to look more villainous in the show, as they are essentially destroying his redemption arc. (Unless, of course, they're now going for the redeemed sister-raper look :rolleyes: )

They also shifted one of Cersei's major atrocities in the book (killing Robert's bastards, namely Barra) onto Joffrey.

Oh, sorry, I've worded wrong. I meant that Cersei and Tyrion definitely are more sympathetic in the show than in the books.

It's like the Boltons. Roose betrays people for his betterment, he rapes women (at least one to get Ramsey) And is a terrible father, also he flays people. Ramsey is just as sadistic and cruel, with all of his torturing, raping, and betraying. But Domeric, Roose's trueborn son, was more of a kind man. He was a good knight, rider, and a better man in general. But when I hear the name Bolton, I immediately think "Kill em all!" Because of the foul things they do, and ignore the good of their family, like Domeric.

Cersei: Is a crazy bitch, who obsesses over power and like Walder Frey, doesn't like suffering slights from anyone. Also, she's a family person I suppose, even though she had sex with her brother right next to her dead son. She's protective of Tommen and Myrcella.

Tywin: Strategically, economically, diplomatically bad-ass. He's a powerful man, some might say more powerful than the king himself at times. Although his name was besmirched once he plotted the Red Wedding.

Jaime: A great swordsman, and notable Kingsguard member. Although, his killing of the Frey... I think it was (In the books, when he tried to escape Robb's camp) But instead it was his cousin on the show, makes him a kinslayer. Also he's a Kingslayer, which for whatever his reasons doing it, still makes him less honorable. Also, show Jaime kinda raped Cersei... at least it looked like that to show viewers, but I understood it's how she likes to get down and dirty. Like the first time they did it, when Bran heard them, she was telling him to stop too then.

Joffery: Not even going there.

Tommen Myrcella: Both sweet children who don't deserve death, but also don't deserve the throne.

Tyrion: By far the most likable of the bunch, he's smart, a bookworm, just like Tywin and maybe more-so, he's a diplomatic and economic genius. And also saved Kings Landing from the might of Stannis the Mannis. His excessive whoring might have put people off to him in the beginning, but he's stopped that now, and is instead a sad sack most of the time.

Kevan Gerion, Gemma, and Tyget: Aren't bad characters, they just like to keep there family alive, like Tywin does. Although their close relation to the Freys, through Gemma might put a lot of people off to the family in general, the Lannisters themselves aren't that bad.

And then there's Lancel: Who is just annoying to most, in book and show.

Just like Tywin likes to remind people, the family name is everything. It's too bad he pretty much ruined that name during the War of the Five Kings, along side Cersei, Jaime, and Joffery. Who were all a part of starting the war, by killing Ned, and getting Robert drunk (which was Lancel's part)

Wow that was long. But, all in all, Lannisters, with the exception of Cersei, Joff, Tywin, Jaime, Lancel, are all good guys for the most part. The only reason Tywin and Jaime aren't is because they pretty much ruined their family name by A. attacking Ned B. Starting the war, and finishing it with a huge assassination of several members of every Northern and RIverlands family.

Better to be a servant in Casterly Rock, than to be servant in Winterfell.

Better to count with the loyalty of the lords of the West, than to count with the loyalty of the lords of the North.

Better to realize that ends justifies the means, that to fool yourself with false and deceiving notions of "honour" and "good".

Better being on the side of the lion, and try to gain some sheep from him, than trying to save all the sheeps, and being eviscerated by the lion.

Better to accept that you need three things to win a war: 1, money; 2, money, 3, money (Monteccucoli).

Better to realize that the Lannisters are the true main course in this story, with plenty of meat and potatoes, while others are some vegetarian soup made with warm water and overcooked soy beans.

Welcome to the forums Myrcella! :cheers: I hope that you will have fun here!

Tyrion - it is probably not what his fans want to hear but he isn't much different from the rest of the family. He's proud, ambitious, witty and power-hungry. He's truly a lion!

He is also an abuser, a murderer and a rapist.

Genna, Daven - both are really likeable

Daven isn't from the main line but Genna is cool.

Lancel - he has always been annoying but he acts like Baelor the Blessed right now,

And that is a good thing?

Joanna Lannister - I suppose she was a valuable woman, good wife and mother, but this is just my opinion.

She helped Cersei to become who she is right now. Both because of her *lessons* and because of what she did with twincest. So I don't think that she was a good wife or mother.

As for Joffery and Cersei:

If we consider Joffery BARATHEON a Lannister, we have to treat his siblings the same way. It means Tommen and Myrcella (the sweetest and most kind hearted children in Westeros) are also a part of House Lannister.

Baratheon name, Lannister blood. But I disagree: Shireen (maybe the *best* kid in the series) >Ellaria's girls, Rickon and Edric Storm > Tommen and Myrc.

That said I don't hate the Lannisters. Tywin is one of my fav nonPoV characters and I believe that he was the best so called villain in the series. I adore Jaime but I loathe Tyrion.

I have no sympathy for the Lannisters because they are power-hungry and care for nobody but themselves. Their House is in serious trouble because they think they're better than everyone else.

As for individual family members: Twyin is a despicable man. Kevan is just as bad because he conspires in all of Tywin's evil acts. Cersei and Joffrey are raving lunatics. I hate all of these.

Jaime I hate and like at the same time. Tyrion I love and dislike at the same time.

The rest seem fairly harmless and now that the above are all out of action, House Lannister may be able to redeem itself, if it doesn't tear itself apart first.

Better to realize that the Lannisters are the true main course in this story, with plenty of meat and potatoes, while others are some vegetarian soup made with warm water and overcooked soy beans.

In this sandwich, the Starks are the bread, Dany, Jon and Tyrion are the meat, and the rest of the Lannisters are the condiments. (Stannis and Davos are the onions. . . .)

Jaime: A great swordsman, and notable Kingsguard member. Although, his killing of the Frey... I think it was (In the books, when he tried to escape Robb's camp) But instead it was his cousin on the show, makes him a kinslayer. Also he's a Kingslayer, which for whatever his reasons doing it, still makes him less honorable. Also, show Jaime kinda raped Cersei... at least it looked like that to show viewers, but I understood it's how she likes to get down and dirty. Like the first time they did it, when Bran heard them, she was telling him to stop too then.

Jaime did not kill that Frey, who was also his cousin in the books, did not even think about it.

She helped Cersei to become who she is right now. Both because of her *lessons* and because of what she did with twincest. So I don't think that she was a good wife or mother.

Well, her "lessons" were reasonable and she tried to stop twincest. Cersei perverting her advices does not make Joanna bad.

Robert deathbed scene.

Tywin/Arya scenes.

What about Robert deathbed scene? I don't remember.

After Tywin/Arya scenes Tywin was acting basically the same as he was in the books. And book Tywin if he was in the show situation with Arya just wouldn't have talked with her in such details and that's it. That wasn't a major character deviation.

Well, her "lessons" were reasonable and she tried to stop twincest. Cersei perverting her advices does not make Joanna bad.

Her lessons make Cersei to believe that she can sexing and crying her way out of things and she didn't tried to stop the twincest. Trying to stop twincest would be informing Tywin not just moved them.

What about Robert deathbed scene? I don't remember.

After Tywin/Arya scenes Tywin was acting basically the same as he was in the books. And book Tywin if he was in the show situation with Arya just wouldn't have talked with her in such details and that's it. That wasn't a major character deviation.

Any deathbed scene is going to a sympathy draw.

I have many problems with the Tywin/Arya fanfic, but the biggest is that it makes Tywin both more warm as a person (when he's actually cold and sociopathic) and it makes him look stupid ("You're a northern girl... oh well." "If you're going to pose as a commoner, do it right." i.e. "I know your a noble northern girl... oh well." ) Book Tywin would not have let that pass. So show Tywin is now both more sympathetic and less intelligent.

Jaime did not kill that Frey, who was also his cousin in the books, did not even think about it.

Damn show is screwing with my brain then. The show really does try to make him look like a terrible guy then. Kinslaying, sister raping, but they at least decided to make him and Tyrion depart on good terms. So much for his redemption, I'm sure people will start to hate him again on the show, unless he ditches Cersei.

Damn show is screwing with my brain then. The show really does try to make him look like a terrible guy then. Kinslaying, sister raping, but they at least decided to make him and Tyrion depart on good terms. So much for his redemption, I'm sure people will start to hate him again on the show, unless he ditches Cersei.

Amazingly he's the only Lannister they didn't whitewash into oblivion. They deserve a truckload of apples for what they did with the rest of them.

Archived