Any tips for an aspiring writer?

Ulthosian Stark

Read Stephen King's On Writing.

...but ignore everything he says regarding outlines. King reckons he's never outlined a project in his life. This is likely why he has served up loads of terrible endings to potentially great books.

Personally, I think deciding of a precise ending for your story is (usually) negative. The story evolves so much during the writing process than apart from main directions (atmosphere of the ending and who'll be still standing for the final act), it's best, again only imo, to see where your characters take you and most times, around the 2/3 of the story, when entering the final act, that's where the ending becomes really clear.

Personally, I think deciding of a precise ending for your story is (usually) negative. The story evolves so much during the writing process than apart from main directions (atmosphere of the ending and who'll be still standing for the final act), it's best, again only imo, to see where your characters take you and most times, around the 2/3 of the story, when entering the final act, that's where the ending becomes really clear.

Stephen King, welcome to the forum. I'm a big fan!

Well, I like to be surprised by my characters. Then again, most times I know where I'm going, I'm just saying it's not good to have everything set in stone a hundred percent with no room for manoeuvring and be a slave to a decision made at the very beginning of the writing process.

I only say that the definitive ending is (for me) set in stone from the 2/3d of the story, before that, I know how it's gonna roughly end but I'm still in for surprises.

It might not help you but it really helped me when I found I am actually an incredibly short form writer. I really only ever write stories that are around 300 words in length.

The thing is I write them on a theme and the theme happens to be a long series of events that makes a much larger story. I just don't write long stories though. Just short stories based on those larger themes. It might look like there's a chapter in an underground library with two characters, but really it's just a dozen short stories, all tying into the theme of the library and the the characters rough placement after the ending of each short story.

Also I don't really have any overall story arc. Things just happen when I write - I like it that way.

Depending on how much that matches your own style, it might be of help :)

Well, I like to be surprised by my characters. Then again, most times I know where I'm going, I'm just saying it's not good to have everything set in stone a hundred percent with no room for manoeuvring and be a slave to a decision made at the very beginning of the writing process.

I only say that the definitive ending is (for me) set in stone from the 2/3d of the story, before that, I know how it's gonna roughly end but I'm still in for surprises.

http://youtu.be/aDuVVmEeH6k?t=1h4m21s

Who is cash grabbing as an author? Maybe once you reach a certain point and you're expected to churn out the same book every year, but I don't think anyone gets into writing novels for the money. For anyone but the blockbusters, it can be tough to even making a living on it, and who becomes blockbusters is mostly down to chance. Most authors write for years before they get published, putting in countless hours for something that pay never may off or pay off very little. Not a great recipe for a cash grab.

Writing for the money means you can't count. Think of all the hours you devote to producing story - that story might never be published. Or if it is, you only get a moderate advance, which works out at well below minimum wage.

The best approach is to write what you enjoy. Any money you make is just a bonus.

Archived