Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

The pitch looked like shit at Yankee Stadium tonight.

Just caught the highlights and yeah, it really did. Maybe something to do with the surface for baseball being different from the surface for football? We're quite used to our well maintained Premier League carpets so stuff like that really stands out.

Decent looking game overall. Very impressed with our young players out there (especially Zuculini and Iheanacho - the former looks to be going on loan to Valencia which is a good move) as well as some of our fringe players. Boyata seems to be taking his chance and looks a good back up for pretty much every defensive position this season. Don't want to lose him, mainly because the "Boyata Boyata! Dedryck is massive!" chant always makes me laugh.

Jovetic is going to take the league by storm this year. What a player.

ETA: Some interesting takeaways for City here from someone who (I assume) was at the game

Wasn't it Lukaku who asked for a loan last season?I don't think Jose pushed him out. I think this is what he means by Lukaku talking about why he left on loan. It seems as if it's totally the same situation as KdB, except he got spooked by Costa, not the WC. Which is fair to him, if he thinks that he can get more play in Everton but it was his choice.

I don't remember Lukaku asking for a loan.

Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't.

Well Gerrard has a year left on his contract & I would have no problem if he decided not to extend it. He's been a great servant but the times are a catching up to him. Perhaps he should go join Lamps in nyc, that is next season.

Gerrard had a great season last time around.

If he keeps it up this season, I would most definitely want to see him remain at Liverpool.

i think the reason he left and i'm not sure on this because i seem to have lost my linky :/ is that he doesn't want to compete for the number one striker spot , he wants it guaranteed and Chelsea couldn't give him that so they listened to offers and voila .

anyway , anybody know what's the deal between Pepe and keita ?

A quick skim.

Totally understand him doing this in a World Cup year but it's then hard to turn around and pin this on us when he leaves next season. It's not like we threw him at Everton last season.

A quick skim.

Totally understand him doing this in a World Cup year but it's then hard to turn around and pin this on us when he leaves next season. It's not like we threw him at Everton last season.

Ok then.

I still think it was in his best interest to leave for Everton, as was in Everton's best interest to get him.

Chelsea did get a sizable pile of money in return but, in my opinion, they gave up their best striker .

Costa played great in Spain, but he will need to adapt to the Premiership and you never know how that will turn out (he did look good against Olimpija, but that's Olimpija ;)).

Drogba has proven himself in the Premiership but has gotten older and it remains to be seen how that will reflect on his performance.

Torres is... well, he's shit and has been shit for a couple of years now. Chelsea should've tried their best to make him a part of Costa's transfer or something.

Ok then.

I still think it was in his best interest to leave for Everton, as was in Everton's best interest to get him.

Chelsea did get a sizable pile of money in return but, in my opinion, they gave up their best striker .

Costa played great in Spain, but he will need to adapt to the Premiership and you never know how that will turn out (he did look good against Olimpija, but that's Olimpija ;)).

Drogba has proven himself in the Premiership but has gotten older and it remains to be seen how that will reflect on his performance.

Torres is... well, he's shit and has been shit for a couple of years now. Chelsea should've tried their best to make him a part of Costa's transfer or something.

I don't think that Drogba and Torres are in the running at all. Torres we're stuck with and I think Drogba in a more senior coaching role is likely at his age.

If Lukaku had anything to fear from anyone it's Costa and well, that's just football. You have to deal with that.

I don't mind Lukaku feeling as if it was in his best interests to go to Everton. But it's not like we heaved him away with great force as some parts of the internet are making it seem.

Eh, that's a bit one-eyed. Rodger's team selection being 'awfully close to best XI'? I counted 4 players who could reasonably expect to start. I think the author needs to stop reading too much into - or trying to justify - friendly results.

I wouldn't agree with the statement that City deserved to win, either. They certainly had the best of the possession but I'd say chances were spread equally.

I think the main thing for City to take away from last night is that Yaya is a fat mess!

That bolded bit is really the only important thing to remember about preseason games. They can't really be looked into too much!

Didn't watch the game so can't comment on Yaya being a fat mess. Maybe he had too much birthday cake.

I don't think that Drogba and Torres are in the running at all. Torres we're stuck with and I think Drogba in a more senior coaching role is likely at his age.

If Lukaku had anything to fear from anyone it's Costa and well, that's just football. You have to deal with that.

I don't mind Lukaku feeling as if it was in his best interests to go to Everton. But it's not like we heaved him away with great force as some parts of the internet are making it seem.

I don't think that Lukaku feared even Costa.

I'd rather say he got fed up with not being considered for Chelsea.

That bolded bit is really the only important thing to remember about preseason games. They can't really be looked into too much!

Didn't watch the game so can't comment on Yaya being a fat mess. Maybe he had too much birthday cake.

:thumbsup:

You're safe on that one ;)

I don't think that Lukaku feared even Costa.

I'd rather say he got fed up with not being considered for Chelsea.

This is what I mean though. He chose to go on loan even after Mou called and got him to stay originally, and then he chose to leave before this season even began. Lukaku is the architect of his own fate.

Celtic are absolutely appaling. 4-1 so far and the opposition have missed two penalties.

It was a butchery indeed. It should have been 7-1 or 8-1 and they'd have to call it fair. And yet they still just need to win 3-0 in the second leg. Doable, though not with the game they presented in Warsaw.

I thought City looked pretty good last night, especially Navas on the right and Jovetic. I didn't watch to the very end but I saw most of the game and I thought they were the more dangerous side by quite a bit. The finish from Henderson was class though and Sterling was excellent though the way he runs always makes me laugh.

I didn't notice Toure being out of shape but I only watched about 5 minutes when he came on since it was late in the game and I had a show to watch. Cannot wait for the Community Shield even though we'll be missing our Germans. I'm itching for football that matters now.

ETA: Is there a EPL fantasy league on this forum?

Just caught the highlights and yeah, it really did. Maybe something to do with the surface for baseball being different from the surface for football? We're quite used to our well maintained Premier League carpets so stuff like that really stands out.

Decent looking game overall. Very impressed with our young players out there (especially Zuculini and Iheanacho - the former looks to be going on loan to Valencia which is a good move) as well as some of our fringe players. Boyata seems to be taking his chance and looks a good back up for pretty much every defensive position this season. Don't want to lose him, mainly because the "Boyata Boyata! Dedryck is massive!" chant always makes me laugh.

Jovetic is going to take the league by storm this year. What a player.

ETA: Some interesting takeaways for City here from someone who (I assume) was at the game

I think the grass itself was fine, it was just a little long, long enough to slow down ground balls in the infield. The corner of the pitch where the sod was put down was the worst. The ball was taking weird bounces off the sod. I hope they do a better job come March. I wasn't able to make it but it even looked like shit on TV. The were a lot of Liverpool supporters on the subway last night headed up there. I was jealous. Thanks for the link.

Coutinho was his usual frustrating toothless self

So far this preseason Coutinho's response to being told he needs to score more goals seems to be to stop doing what he's good at, passing, and instead just shooting on sight whenever he's anywhere near the final third to no great effect. It's been fairly irritating.

Of Liverpool's new signings we've seen any of I do quite like the look of Can so far. Big strong guy who looks quite solid sitting defensively but he looks comfortable on the ball and a threat going forward, fairly two footed as well. I thought he was left footed until he took his penalty with his right foot. Probably a bit early to be getting too excited though, Aspas had a reasonable preseason last year.

Archived