Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

a lot of Liverpool supporters on the subway last night headed up there

I was leaving work (one stop South of Yankee Stadium on the 4) around 6 last night. The uptown trains were almost as packed as they are on baseball game days and there were a lot of Man City jerseys being worn as well.

I was leaving work (one stop South of Yankee Stadium on the 4) around 6 last night. The uptown trains were almost as packed as they are on baseball game days and there were a lot of Man City jerseys being worn as well.

I think the official attendance was around 50k. So that doesn't surprise me.

I only saw a few Man City supporters. I went to Yankee Stadium last week and you're right, it was just as crowded if not more. .

The German U-19 beat Portugal to win the European Championship. They've looked pretty good along the way, but fittingly there was an article today recapping the career of Savio Nsereko, the star player of the last German team to win this competition: he spent the second half of last season in Kazakhstan. Hopefully these guys do a bit better.

The German U-19 beat Portugal to win the European Championship. They've looked pretty good along the way, but fittingly there was an article today recapping the career of Savio Nsereko, the star player of the last German team to win this competition: he spent the second half of last season in Kazakhstan. Hopefully these guys do a bit better.

Yeah it's typical how that happens. We've had a number of very successful Dutch national teams of the under-17, under-19, under 21 the last few years, and it's always remarkable to see who and who does not advance to become an actual star at the top level.

Yeah, that's clearly a decision based on performance...I wonder if they'll keep Casillas for years past his prime like they did with Raul.

What? Raul was "years past his prime" when he left Real? Based on what?

He's had one "bad" season and that was mostly because CRonaldo has become the club's main player.

Did you even see Raul play for Schalke? That was definitely not a player "years past his prime".

In non-related news, Freddie Adu signed for FC Jagodina from Serbia.

They managed to get into Europa League qualifiers this season but were knocked out already unless I'm mistaken.

Wasn't he considered a huge talent and whatnot?

Gerard Pique has made a startling revelation. That he is no longer one of the top class defenders around. Funny how his decline coincided with the arrival of a certain dancing colombian in his life.

I think Diego Lopez is being treated unfairly by madrid. He gave them his all last season and completely outshone cassilas. But hey its the way of madrid, what can you do.

Premier League starts two weeks tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerard Pique has made a startling revelation. That he is no longer one of the top class defenders around. Funny how his decline coincided with the arrival of a certain dancing colombian in his life.

I don't think it did, to be fair. They've been going out for years, and Pique's decline (such as it is) covers only the last season or two.

Archived