Jonathan Pryce (!) - High Sparrow

Hippocras

Not that much older,

And the theory is false regardless.

Sean Bean was 15 years older than his character. The same for Rory McCann and the Hound. There are some actors really older than their characters.

By the way, the Howland = HS was bullshit anyway.

Sean Bean was 15 years older than his character. The same for Rory McCann and the Hound. There are some actors really older than their characters.

By the way, the Howland = HS was bullshit anyway.

Bean didn't look too old to be Robb's father. Pryce certainly looks far too old to plausibly be Meera's father and Ned's closest friend.

But again, the theory is false for SO many more reasons than that.

Bean didn't look too old to be Robb's father. Pryce certainly looks far too old to plausibly be Meera's father.

Not from a scientific standpoint. Men can be fertile right up til death. Look at Walder Frey for an in-universe example.

I agree that the HS is not HR, but it gets harder to argue against secret identities in a world that has Faceless men and glamours. There may even be another form of magical disguise that we will be introduced to (maybe one that's been alluded to already, but only vaguely).

Bean didn't look too old to be Robb's father. Pryce certainly looks far too old to plausibly be Meera's father and Ned's closest friend.

Well, Meera's actress is 24, and Pryce 67, so he would have fathered her when he was 43, late but not impossible. But yes, I agree that the theory is so wrong.

Not from a scientific standpoint. Men can be fertile right up til death. Look at Walder Frey for an in-universe example.

I agree that the HS is not HR, but it gets harder to argue against secret identities in a world that has Faceless men and glamours. There may even be another form of magical disguise that we will be introduced to (maybe one that's been alluded to already, but only vaguely).

That doesn't really have anything to do with it. Surely you agree Pryce is far older than Bean? Howland Reed is NOT far older than Ned, in fact was probably a year younger.

What is this third way?

That doesn't really have anything to do with it. Surely you agree Pryce is far older than Bean? Howland Reed is NOT far older than Ned, in fact was probably a year younger.

Yes but that's not what you used as an example. You said he's too old to be Meera's father. That's not the case.

What is this third way?

Don't know. As I said it would have to be something only vaguely alluded to before. Would probably involve eye of newt. ;)

ETA: just remembered the mummer's tricks are the third way. Anything new would have to be a fourth way.

No lie: I flipped out when Pryce's mug popped up on the screen here in my little condo.

I wouldn't expect they get someone like Pryce for many episodes, though. Certainly not every one. I can see him in basically three or four episodes.

1. Early on, Cersei gets grief from the current High Septon, replaces him with Pryce. I'd put this at episode 3.

2. Pryce wants the Faith Militant back, Cersei wants something else in her storyline. They make a deal. I'd put that around 5.

3. Cersei goes to the Sept to see how her plot against Margaery is progressing, gets thrown into a cell. Episode 8.

4. Cersei's walk of shame. Episode 10.

Though this is a reconstruction based on all we know from the books. It's possible we get as far as Cersei's trial by combat in Season 5. But that's plenty of story right there to fit in with all the others.

I would bet we meet the Sparrows in the Riverlands through Brienne first. It is just so much more powerful that way.

Also, the fact that the High Sparrow got his position through a coup, not endorsement from Cersei is too important to skip.

I would bet we meet the Sparrows in the Riverlands through Brienne first. It is just so much more powerful that way.

Also, the fact that the High Sparrow got his position through a coup, not endorsement from Cersei is too important to skip.

I enjoyed your prediction list of plots / episodes but wonder if they'd really put that many High Sparrow scenes in the season? I'm considering High Sparrow somewhat similar to Diana Rigg playing the Queen of Thorns and she (as a special guest actor) didn't get that many scenes even though everyone adored her and would have enjoyed a lot more of her in the show. That possibly could be due to the high price-tag they command to act in a series because of their fame? I'm ecstatic to learn such a big name actor as Jonathan Pryce has agreed to play such a great role as the High Sparrow - it means his characterization is going to simply rock the socks off of all Season 5 King's Landing scenes and his interactions with Cersei will be simply electric, I'm sure.

I enjoyed your prediction list of plots / episodes but wonder if they'd really put that many High Sparrow scenes in the season? I'm considering High Sparrow somewhat similar to Diana Rigg playing the Queen of Thorns and she (as a special guest actor) didn't get that many scenes even though everyone adored her and would have enjoyed a lot more of her in the show. That possibly could be due to the high price-tag they command to act in a series because of their fame? I'm ecstatic to learn such a big name actor as Jonathan Pryce has agreed to play such a great role as the High Sparrow - it means his characterization is going to simply rock the socks off of all Season 5 King's Landing scenes and his interactions with Cersei will be simply electric, I'm sure.

It's true, he may not have quite so many. But we can hope!

The High Sparrow is of course a much bigger role in the books than Olenna though, so it is not too unreasonable to hope.

It's true, he may not have quite so many. But we can hope!

The High Sparrow is of course a much bigger role in the books than Olenna though, so it is not too unreasonable to hope.

I agree - we can hope they include him as much as possible throughout the season and yes it's true High Sparrow's story was much larger than Olenna so it's reasonable to think he'll have a lot more scenes.

It's going to be a shocker season for non-book readers with Cersei's story arc taking a 180 soon and I can't think of anyone better to facilitate that than Jonathan Pryce. So exciting!

Edit: I also hope they start his 'pilgrimage' in the Riverlands as you mentioned as well.

Archived