Jonathan Pryce (!) - High Sparrow

Hippocras

Crackpot idea of the evening: Brienne does more than just meet High Sparrow on the road - she joins the Faith Militant!

ETA: Woooo, that crack just keeps spreading. Brienne becomes Margaery's champion against Sir Robert Strong. You heard that here first!

I mean, if there's to be no Lady Stoneheart and Jaime's going off to Dorne anyway, what else is there for Brienne to do? That's at least a story line. And it has some symmetry, fighting off the Brothers Clegane.

Aaargh! Why do people persist in believing that no Stoneheart means no BWB at all?

We will get the BWB in some form regardless of Stoneheart. Brienne will still cross paths with them. I don't see why people think that entire storyline disappears if Stoneheart does.

Brienne has an arc in the books, and that arc involves being coerced into joining a band of outlaws, which is the most extreme morally compromising event she has yet to encounter. You can't just delete that and have her be the same character by the end of the books - and the show WILL reach essentially the same endpoint, just by different means.

Aaargh! Why do people persist in believing that no Stoneheart means no BWB at all?

We will get the BWB in some form regardless of Stoneheart. Brienne will still cross paths with them. I don't see why people think that entire storyline disappears if Stoneheart does.

Brienne has an arc in the books, and that arc involves being coerced into joining a band of outlaws, which is the most extreme morally compromising event she has yet to encounter. You can't just delete that and have her be the same character by the end of the books - and the show WILL reach essentially the same endpoint, just by different means.

Removing Stoneheart and keeping the storyline would be even worse than just removing Stoneheart. D&D should start putting scripts on tumblr fanfiction account.

If the road changes than the end point can't be the same. It's not like they can remove 90% of the story, show the ending scene for each character and go 'no big deal'. Not sure why it's so impossible to understand for many people. Shae's last scene showed just how ridiculous things can get.

Most extreme morally? That's LS not BwB.

Most extreme morally? That's LS not BwB.

No it's not.

She was coerced into joining a band of outlaws. HOW she gets coerced is irrelevant. That she IS coerced and becomes a criminal because of it is an unavoidable point in her story.

The main moral compromises are being diverted from her quest to find Sansa, and trapping Jaime.

As for the first, there is no way in hell she is giving up her quest to find the Stark girls without extreme coercion. Therefore the idea she would join the Faith Millitant is ridiculous because she could not be coerced into doing that and it would definitely involved ceasing to search for Sansa.

As for the second, fetching Jamie - that may well still happen given D&D's jet pack comment. That also is not dependent on Stoneheart. The Blackfish, Beric, Harwin, or any other potential replacement BWB leader still has PLENTY of reason to want to capture and question Jaime and Brienne after their escape.

• 3 weeks later...

As for the first, there is no way in hell she is giving up her quest to find the Stark girls without extreme coercion. Therefore the idea she would join the Faith Millitant is ridiculous because she could not be coerced into doing that and it would definitely involved ceasing to search for Sansa.

If Sansa and Littlefinger start an alliance with the Boltons, Brienne could be disgusted enough with her to dispense with the quest for her right then and there. Or, conversely, she could go to the Vale, see Sansa, and get shown the door by Sansa herself. The real door, not the Moon Gate.

That leaves Arya, and should Brienne get down to the Saltpans and find Arya has absconded with a Faceless Man coin, she could then be persuaded by the people there and Pod that Arya can take care of her own self.

And then what's a knight to do? Look for a path to greater purpose, something Brienne keeps looking for. Enter the Faith Militant.

It's not ridiculous at all. Have a dandelion. Life isn't so grim.

^I would rate ALL of the above scenarios as far-fetched.

Sansa will not be making an alliance with the Boltons.

Arya joining the FM would not deter Brienne, and in any case there would be no way for Brienne to find out. It was a transaction between two parties without witnesses and the captain never knew her name.

As for Sansa telling Brienne to go away - why? Sansa know what happened to Ice, so would understand the real meaning of the sword. Sansa is currently quite alone and knows it. She has no reason to turn Brienne away. Littlefinger does, but in that scenario, Brienne would not give up.

• 8 months later...

I just wanted to bump this thread because I just notice how much he looks like Pope Francis, and how when Francis first became Pope, he was feeding the poor and washingfeet, just like the High Sparrow is doing when Cercei goes to talk to him.

I just wanted to bump this thread because I just notice how much he looks like Pope Francis, and how when Francis first became Pope, he was feeding the poor and washingfeet, just like the High Sparrow is doing when Cercei goes to talk to him.

haha yeah, and shows I was totally wrong too.

ah well. Sansa did become Sansa Bolton after all, and Brienne is already in the North with no sign of becoming an outlaw. I always thought she would end up in the North eventually, but as an outlaw sent to the Wall and forced to confront her feelings on Stannis in some way.

High Sparrow is awesome so far though I am sad they skipped introducing the Sparrow movement at its roots in the Riverlands devastation. It is pure fanaticism lacking nuance so far in the show. I the books the Sparrows' motivations were clearer.

The High Sparrow seems like more of a player than fanatic so far though, as played by Price, so we will see where that is heading (books and show).

• 2 weeks later...

It's based on the Catholic Church.

The modern day equalivalent is ISIS in the Middle-East.

The depiction of organised religion and the birth of fanaticism is really well portrayed in the books. One often he reasons I think it's a great piece of literature.

Jonathan Pryce is amazing, he comes across as pious and kind but with a menacing conviction.

HS and QoT scence was great to watch.

It's based on the Catholic Church.

The modern day equalivalent is ISIS in the Middle-East.

The depiction of organised religion and the birth of fanaticism is really well portrayed in the books. One often he reasons I think it's a great piece of literature.

Jonathan Pryce is amazing, he comes across as pious and kind but with a menacing conviction.

HS and QoT scence was great to watch.

I do think that, and personally I dont like it... but I will comment no further. I love Ice and Fire and dont want to get political...

• 3 weeks later...

Now that this season has finished, can I just say that... Mr Pryce.... you absolutely nailed it!

Best plot of the season for me. Hardhome was the best scene, but overall, I loved the sparrow plot and I loved how much Jonathan Pryce understood the role. The minute I found out he had been cast I was excited, and he totally delivered.

Archived