How will they condense FFC and DWD into Season 5? (book spoilers)

tblackjacks

It seems like Season 5 will officially cover Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons in its entirety, and I can see them fitting most of the already introduced characters' stories into one season, but how will they fit Victarion Greyjoy and Euron Greyjoy into the season? What about Aegon? I'm pretty sure these are absolute necessities to put in the show, but it doesn't look like they're looking for cast members for these story lines or anything. Maybe they'll fit them into Season 6 and the Winds of Winter storyline?

I think a euron/ victorian mix would be better then either character standing alone.

I suppose it depends on how those stories turn out as to whether we'll get any of them or not.

I believe that they will condense them into one season by cutting characters that look to have major roles going forward, and placing Trystane/Myrcella into those roles. Since the cast release lists Trystane as heir to Dorne, I believe that Arianne and Quentyn have been cut, and that Trystane will partially fill the roles of Arianne, Quentyn, Victarion, and fAegon, while Myrcella will fill the roles of Euron and fAegon.

I believe that in the show, Trystane leads the failed queenmaker plot, gets sent to Meereen, does Dragontamer. If Victarion/Euron gets a dragon, he succeeds, and vice versa. Trystane returns, thinks Daenerys dead, marries Myrcella, and declares himself king and Myrcella queen, replacing the fAegon and Euron factions.

For the full show theory, look here, since it is more about character merges than combining the two books and doesn't belong in this thread. Since this is a book spoiler thread, I'm not sure if needed but that theory has book spoilers and is in a book spoilers thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96453-heavy-book-spoilers-possible-character-merge/page-8#entry6071760

And I think at this point Balon will live and die only at the point in the book story when Asha is ready to initiate whatever she has planned based on Torgon the Latecomer, except in the show she or Theon would just inherit. Either that or we do have Euron, and Trystane/Myrcella only take over the fAegon role.

Still Tyrion said in Season 2: Episode 3 when he was talking to Pycelle about forming an alliance with House Martell that "Princess Myrcella will marry their YOUNGEST SON when she comes of age. So Trystane can't be the only son of Doran in the tv series, otherwise this is a huge inconsistency.

I can live with a heavily trimmed Iron Island storyline but I will be very disappointed if Aegon is cut.

I am still in two minds about a trimmed Dorne. I think I can live it. Concentrating on Mycella and Trystane makes some sense I guess.

I don't know, but I had a thought as to whether they might actually merge Arianne and Myrcella to some degree. Granted, it's a big deviation, but it would mean the Dornish had someone to put up as queen (with Trystane as king.)

Rather, maybe they could split Ariannes storyline into Myrcella, Trystane and maybe Obara.

I think by condensing two big books into ten episodes is already dammed risky, and if their cutting/condensing policy is not shit hot they will seriously alienate a lot of book readers as the show could become so far disconnected from the books it just starts to feel wrong.

There's a limit to what you cut before the remaining characters start to feel out of place because you can't relate to what you know should be happening.

I think S1 did a great job at condensing a book into a single series. Sure it missed out the battles but cut had all the relevant plot arcs and goings on so it was a pretty good adaption.

The most recent seasons are getting more and more detached from the source, because either the timescale/number of seasons is forcing things to be cut or because the writers really don't have a grasp on the importance of the plot points at this stage. Are they just picking their favourite bits to make a rough approximation of the story?

I mean if we are going to get a story that's cut to pieces then let's just cut to the chase and have Danny invade this season and get straight to dealing with the threat north of the wall. We all know that there is going to be some serious conflict soon, let's just cut to it rather than massacre the renaming books with a shoddy adaption.

I think by condensing two big books into ten episodes is already dammed risky, and if their cutting/condensing policy is not shit hot they will seriously alienate a lot of book readers as the show could become so far disconnected from the books it just starts to feel wrong.

There's a limit to what you cut before the remaining characters start to feel out of place because you can't relate to what you know should be happening.

I think S1 did a great job at condensing a book into a single series. Sure it missed out the battles but cut had all the relevant plot arcs and goings on so it was a pretty good adaption.

The most recent seasons are getting more and more detached from the source, because either the timescale/number of seasons is forcing things to be cut or because the writers really don't have a grasp on the importance of the plot points at this stage. Are they just picking their favourite bits to make a rough approximation of the story?

I mean if we are going to get a story that's cut to pieces then let's just cut to the chase and have Danny invade this season and get straight to dealing with the threat north of the wall. We all know that there is going to be some serious conflict soon, let's just cut to it rather than massacre the renaming books with a shoddy adaption.

They are going to alienate some book readers no matter what they do.

But 'a lot'? I seriously doubt it. These are the two books that many book readers agree SHOULD have been condensed. So I look forward to seeing what they do.

They are going to alienate some book readers no matter what they do.

But 'a lot'? I seriously doubt it. These are the two books that many book readers agree SHOULD have been condensed. So I look forward to seeing what they do.

The one thing they should have done was end season 3 with joff dying. The red wedding could have been season 3/07 because they wasted three episodes on random daenerys drama.

They could have covered so much more this season

They covered quite a lot this season, and even into the next books with several characters. I think they are doing fine and don't need to worry about fitting the books exactly into certain seasons.

But do you not think that certain aspects of the first 4 seasons have been really drawn out and others condensed. Yet they are now on a mission to seriously squeeze the remaining 2-4 books into an even smaller space.

I mean it took all of S4 to get through the Tyrion trial plot arc, something they could have done in half the episodes. But yet they cut down the arc where Danny conquers Astapor and Yunkai into barely a handfull of rushed scenes in a few episodes.

It just feels to me at least that their policy of where to condense or expand on things is not well planned and will seriously piss off a large amount of the readbase when they see the mess at the end.

What I see potentially happening with GOT is like if they made the first 2 LOTR movies 3hrs each and then finished it off with a 30min tv movie for the last third of the story. That would have been crap.

They run the risk of squeezing it so much it just spoils the story and is out of sync with the other half of the saga.

I know a lot of people thought the last 2 books were a bit too spread out, some parts were i'll admit. But I think cutting too much and you loose the very nature of what was going on in those 2 books. They are a transition period in the series, between the orignial charcaters who are mostly killed off by then and the new powers comming into play so some level of world building was required. The problem with getting everyone to Danny was always going to exist, she was too young at the start of the saga, her dragons were born too late and the world that everyone lives in too large for speedy travel.

Archived