which is the greatest single combat in westerosi history?

Lord Warwick

the single combat should be ranked based on the skill of the warriors, their personal rivalries and the impact their duel had on westeros. I would rank in the following order:

1. Bloodraven vs bittersteel:

they were brothers to begin with. Both were renowned as military commanders. They loved the same woman.

At the battle of the red grass field bloodraven decisively deployed his archers behind daemon blackfyre and killed him and his sons.

Bittersteel attacked this unit and routed them and defeated bloodraven in melee. Took an eye for a brother.

Though bloodraven lost the battle, he won the war by crippling the blackfyre cause.

2. Rhaegar vs Robert:

decided the fate of westeros. They were distant cousins. Both loved the same woman and fought for her hand.

The fate of the throne wrested on the balance as the silver prince and iron stag clashed beside the trident.

Rhaegar was one of the best swordsmen/jouster of the time as he was able to beat the likes of arthur dayne and selmy. Robert was beastly strong and the best mace fighter of the time.

As the battle waged in muddy ground and on horses, rhaegar's agility and skill with the sword was offset by robert's brutal strength.

Rhaegar's sword was only able to injure robert but robert's hammer crushed him.

3. The mountain and the viper:

another robert rhaegar style fight with the difference being that gregor was much more bigger and stronger and that the combat was on foot.

Gregor raped and killed oberyn's dear sister ensuring that the battle was fought for much more than just glory or poltics.

Oberyn miraculously defeated the mountain. But callously dropped his and guard and the mountain paid him generously with three armoured punches.

4. Barristan and maelys:

Both were legendary fighters. Barristan famously cut through the golden company and killed the monster. Thus ending the blackfyre's for good.

5. jon and halfhand: none of them were fighters of note. But the even set the stage for jon's story

I would say that Daemon vs Gwayne Corbray decided the fate of the Blackfyres, despite Daemon winning. Although Robert vs Rhaegar, Bittersteel vs Bloodraven, and Gregor vs Oberyn were far more emotional.

Robert vs Rhaegar is the most legendary single combat in the entire history of the Targaryen Reign.

I would say

1)Robert vs Rhaegar

2)Daemon vs Aemond

3)Oberyn vs Gregor

4)Bittersteel vs Bloodraven

5)Daemon vs Gwayne

I'm not to sure about the Barristan vs Maelys fight since we never really hear about Maelys as a warrior.

Another good one would be Orys Baratheon vs Argilac Durrandon. They didn't have any kind of feud between them, but the outcome of the fight had huge ramifications. The male line of Durrandons was ended, and House Baratheon was formed.

As for my answer, Daemon vs Aemond. Jumping from dragon to dragon in mid air and killing an opponent with a Valyrian steel sword is all kinds of awesome.

Robert vs Rhaegar take it easily, due all the situation

And also talking about skill/strenght of the opponents: even assuming there is a childish but infallible (in GRRM universe? I doubt) ranking where Arthur and Selmy are #1 and #2, Rhaegar vs Robert was like #3 vs #4 fight each other, with the underdog winning. Huge

As skill alone probably Arthur vs SK get close, having the #1 give even free advantages to somebody that Jaime remember as "the Mountain of his generation" (so probably #5 or not too far) before kill him in one exchange

Keep in mind that i find ridicolous the idea of # ranking in a sword fight, where a lucky strike, an error, or an external factor can be instant defeat or death, but for this thread kinda work

Another good one would be Orys Baratheon vs Argilac Durrandon. They didn't have any kind of feud between them, but the outcome of the fight had huge ramifications. The male line of Durrandons was ended, and House Baratheon was formed.

As for my answer, Daemon vs Aemond. Jumping from dragon to dragon in mid air and killing an opponent with a Valyrian steel sword is all kinds of awesome.

Agree with Daemon v Aemond. Badaas.

This is from the MUSH, so I don't know if it's even canon, but I'd love to hear more about it.

Ser Darmen [Tulley] (b. 100), who killed {Ser Borick Strong} (b. 93, d. 124), called the Beast of Harrenhal, in a trial by combat, m. {Serelle Serrett} (b. 103), raped and murdered by Ser Borick (d. 124),

Archived