Will Jorah Mormont take the Black and be the next Lord Commander? (Spoilers all)

Guerillacropolis

I'm re-reading ASoS, and Lord Mormont's dying words to Sam in Craster's Keep are "Tell my son. Jorah. Tell him, take the black. My wish. Dying wish." (458)

Now the first time I read through the books, I don't think I gave this sentence a second glance. It was the wish of a dying man for his son to redeem his honor and follow in his footsteps. But in the context of the five books, and especially Jon's stabbing, I wonder if Jorah will make his way to the Wall.

The primary reason is that he would have no where else to go except perhaps to join a mercenary company and make enough from his sword-arm to enjoy a comfortable retirement, certainly the most sensible thing to do. But of course, Jorah is anything but sensible.

So could or would Jorah return to Westeros? Perhaps he'd want to warn the lords of Westeros about Daenerys' dragons and the coming Targaryen invasion as a way to gain vengeance and redeem himself as a knight. But more than likely, any Northman would execute him and no Southron would care to listen.

So where does that leave him? Perhaps to return to the Wall to make amends with his father. Of course, it's likely that he wouldn't learn about his father's death until reaching Castle Black. Perhaps Melisandre would see some use for him, a pawn to rally the Black against the Others until Jon recovers, or to succeed him in the unlikely even that GRRM has killed him off for reals.

Also, he's been absent from the books for a while, so who knows where he will end up? I suppose he could be written out of the story like Osha, Rickon, and the Hound, but he seems too important a character and one that Daenerys could've easily killed off had GRRM wanted finality.

But the Bear's words could be a prophetic wish, and especially in the ears of Sam, if he ever happened to stumble across Jorah in Old Town or anywhere else, he could pass them along. So what do you think? Is his story over? Or could he be headed for Castle Black?

I think this in large part depends on a few things.

1) If the Wall and the Night's Watch are still standing by series end. If the War for the Dawn ends with the decimation of the Others, then there is no longer a need for the Wall or the Night's Watch (if you believe that the Free Folk will integrate into the 7 kingdoms). Now, I'm not 100% sure if we will a total eradication of the Others or not, but I do believe that in order for the story to move forward, the Wall must fall.

2) Obviously this depends on if Jorah survives the series. Personally, I think he will make it back to Westeros and participate in the War for the Dawn. His overall survival I am not so sure on.

3) Dany's survival. If Dany is dead by series end, then yes, he might join the Night's Watch (if there still is one). However, if she alive, I think Jorah will find redemption for his crimes by fighting the War for the Dawn. Jeor Mormont wants his son to find redemption, but he doesn't know all the facts. He doesn't know that Jorah has been fighting alongside Dany, that he himself was sold into slavery and branded, that he's trying to bring her home, that he saw the birth of the first living dragons in who-know-how-long and that Jorah will assist, in some way, for the fight for the Dawn. Jorah's redemption has already begun, in part, but without Jeor's knowledge. If Dany is still alive at the end, I don't believe she will choose to stay in Westeros, but rather leave and find her house with the red door some place else. And if that's the case, I think Jorah will go with her. I am not making any sort of romantic declaration here, but rather he'll follow as the First of the Queensguard. Jorah's concept of home used to be Bear Island, but since meeting Dany, it has gotten wrapped up in her and I think he would want to keep her safe from harm, even if it meant giving up a chance to Lord of Bear Island again.

It seems to be his character's destiny. I hope that he does. He would restore his honor there. He would also make a really badass Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. And he should be reunited with Longclaw.

I am under the belief that Jon is the son of Ned and Ashara (I know, call me crazy) which if true means he is rightful owner of Dawn which I think he will end up with, thus giving Longclaw back to Jorah when he takes the black.

For now, I can't see him actually wanting to take the black. He's too immersed in this world's comings and goings. Maybe one day when the Others are defeated... or before, if something powerful enough happens to change him. But right now, the Wall is far away for him.

I would really like it if Jorah fulfilled his father's dying wish and took the black (if there still is a NW) but that would involve Sam meeting Jorah somehow. I also like the idea of Jon giving him Longclaw (I think Jon should get Oathkeeper with Widow's Wail going to Rickon and being renamed Ice).

I see Jorah receiving Longclaw from Jon for his service to Jon's Queen.

I think Jon will gain Lightbringer (maybe Dark Sister) which he will give to Dany when they are married.

Dany will gain Blackfyre when she defeat/ kills (f)Aegon and she will give that to Jon on their wedding day.

As far as Jorah being Lord Commander, I don't think there will be another Lord Commander. After Jon they will just has a interim Commander for a extremely short time until all hell breaks loose.

After the the War for the Dawn is done, the White Walker will be destroyed and the Wall will have fallen. The True North will be part of Jon and Dany's Kingdom and there wont be a need for the Night's Watch, unless it's as some sort of military force that answers to the King patrolling the North/ True North and keeping the King's Peace.

When I was reading the books I was so certain that Jorah would meet Sam in Braavos and Sam would tell him Jeor's dying words. I still kind of feel like it's a missed opportunity.

I don't think he is going to join the Night's Watch but it would be cool. I think he'll probably die during Dany's conquest.

I am under the belief that Jon is the son of Ned and Ashara (I know, call me crazy) which if true means he is rightful owner of Dawn which I think he will end up with, thus giving Longclaw back to Jorah when he takes the black.

There is no "rightful" owner of Dawn though. It doesnt pass down automatically, it is given to someone who is judged to be worthy of wielding such a blade. I think he has a higher chance of wielding Lightbringer than Dawn.

Id prefer to see Jorah find redemption within his family rather than find redemption with Dany. Even Jorah reflects on his crimes in Westeros and I think he feels the need to redeem himself to his family. But as said above, i think they missed that chance with Sam and Jorah never meeting. Now with Jorah off playing adventure time with Tyrion I think that likelihood of him heading to the Wall is heading more off course and he will try and prove himself to Dany rather than redeem himself and his family.

3 things:

1- At the end of the story, there should be no Wall/NW since they probably will have a total victory toward the Others and since the wildlings are starting to be part of the Realm.
2-Jon is 998th, it would be a waste for GRRM not to reach the 1000th before the end of the book.
3-Those with some forshadowing of joining the Wall are Theon and Jorah.

Archived