Could Jorah Mormont take the Black and be the next Lord Commander? (ASoS)

Guerillacropolis

I'm re-reading ASoS, and Lord Mormont's dying words to Sam in Craster's Keep are "Tell my son. Jorah. Tell him, take the black. My wish. Dying wish." (458)

Now the first time I read through the books, I don't think I gave this sentence a second glance. It was the wish of a dying man for his son to redeem his honor and follow in his footsteps. But in the context of the five books, and especially Jon's stabbing, I wonder if Jorah will make his way to the Wall.

The primary reason is that he would have no where else to go except perhaps to join a mercenary company and make enough from his sword-arm to enjoy a comfortable retirement, certainly the most sensible thing to do. But of course, Jorah is anything but sensible.

So could or would Jorah return to Westeros? Perhaps he'd want to warn the lords of Westeros about Daenerys' dragons and the coming Targaryen invasion as a way to gain vengeance and redeem himself as a knight. But more than likely, any Northman would execute him and no Southron would care to listen.

So where does that leave him? Perhaps to return to the Wall to make amends with his father. Of course, it's likely that he wouldn't learn about his father's death until reaching Castle Black. Perhaps Melisandre would see some use for him, a pawn to rally the Black against the Others until Jon recovers, or to succeed him in the unlikely even that GRRM has killed him dead.

Also, he's been absent from the books for a while, so who knows where he will end up? I suppose he could be written out of the story like Osha, Rickon, and the Hound, but he seems too important a character and one that Daenerys could've easily killed off had GRRM wanted finality.

But the Bear's words could be a prophetic wish, and especially in the ears of Sam, if he ever happened to stumble across Jorah in Old Town or anywhere else, he could pass them along. So what do you think? Is his story over? Or could he be headed for Castle Black?

On The Wall, who knows Jorah is in Essos? First thought would be Aemon, but who else?

Dany doesn't appear to know anything about The Wall. However, could she be aware of Aemon?

How would Jorah get to The Wall? If Tyrion eventually meets Dany, could be he's the one to make her aware of what's going on up there?

Stannis is now making Nightfort. Jorah seems to be a logical envoy to go talk to Stannis. (Potential alliance of sorts?)

Sam isn't at The Wall though. He's gone to find out all he can about The Others and Wights.

Along comes Jon. As Ned did with 'Dawn', is he likely to pass 'Longclaw' on to Jorah? This could be how Jorah, now he realises he's no chance of love with Dany, decides to take The Black.

Sam being Sam will have told Jon about Mormont's last words.

• 5 weeks later...

It would be an incredibly satisfying end to his arc: Jorah Mormont, the man who ruined his life out of foolish obsession for two women, refused to take responsibility to his bad choices, becomes a lord after all by swearing of marriage and love and doing penance through service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really doubt Jorah will find his way to the Wall. Last we heard of him (Tyrion's POV), he was described as being crushed and defeated. He's still pining for Daenerys, and everything he does is done with the purpose of winning favour with Dany. If he returns to Westeros, it will be at her side or following her. And there's no chance that such a motive will lead him to joining the NW and staying there long enough to become Lord Commander.

Of course, this is all speculation, but that's what it looks like to me.

• 4 months later...

I really doubt Jorah will find his way to the Wall. Last we heard of him (Tyrion's POV), he was described as being crushed and defeated. He's still pining for Daenerys, and everything he does is done with the purpose of winning favour with Dany. If he returns to Westeros, it will be at her side or following her. And there's no chance that such a motive will lead him to joining the NW and staying there long enough to become Lord Commander.

Of course, this is all speculation, but that's what it looks like to me.

I find his situation of being enslaved quite apropos since selling men destined for the Wall into slavery to pay for his gold digging wife is what led him to exile to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's quite possible or even probable that Jorah will end up at the wall.. through his own choice.

Though Jorah has still been obsessing over Dany and of course he still loves her, I think he has had some very serious thoughts about his own redemption.(Of course, we don't have his POV to confirm it.)

First, he wants to truly help her - this time without hoping for a romantic liaison. And she is his path back to Westeros. It's true, he could have found his way back on his own, but not with much hope of putting his former actions behind him. As a supporter (officer?) of the woman who has wrought havoc on the slave trade, he'll have made great strides in this direction.

Eventually he may learn of Jeor's last words to Sam.. but he would have Jeor's example before him, in any case. Having followed Dany for so long, he's unlikely to have a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that women currently lead House Mormont , and would be unlikely to want to splinter his house by challenging for the lordship (and Alysanne has now got a son, anyway).

I find his situation of being enslaved quite apropos since selling men destined for the Wall into slavery to pay for his gold digging wife is what led him to exile to begin with.

I agree with this , wholeheartedly.. He once robbed the Wall of men . He can repay the debt personally.

Archived