Is Stannis delusional to even think he can ever win the iron throne?

Lord Warwick

1. Stannis has the Iron Bank backing him. Always a plus.

2. Stannis is securing the allegiance of the North, and if Davos brings Rickon into the fold, he's got the largest of the seven kingdoms on his side.

3. Maggy the Frog's prophecy all but assures Tommen's death, so unless he can produce an heir through Margaery, the Tyrells will lose their grip on the throne, so I think they'll attempt to bend the knee to Stannis because he WILL be the legal heir then.

Obviously, he's still got the Targaryens to contend with, but I think that if Stannis wins out against the Boltons, he'll be in a much better situation to take the throne than he's ever been. Still not in the clear, but that much closer.

Apart from his determination, I'd like to point out that the North could give him 35,000 men in the next sixth months. 55,000 in five years. And with the Iron Bank backing him, he can hire at least 20,000 sellswords long-term.

Furthermore, the Iron Islands, the Vale, the Riverlands and Dorne are damn unlikely to fight fo the Lannisters and could probably be won over with some (lot of) effort and appropriate success, the Stormlands are basically his anyway, and you've got a winning team.

35,000 men in 3 months? 55,000 in five years? Where are you getting these numbers from? the North is one of the most sparsely populate area's in the seven kingdoms and the coldest. When Robb called his banners, it was summer and it had been 17 years of peace, peace under Stark rule as well i might add, of course Robb didn't take every available man at arms, but he was a smart tactician, surrounded by Lords well versed in war, he knew how many men to take and how many to leave behind.

Most of those 18,000 men that when south are dead or stuck south of the neck. Rodrik Cassel lost more men to the Boltons and most other northern lords have lost most of their fighting men. Winter has come! I'd be surprised if there were 55,000 births during this time! I agree that Stannis can hire sellswords (That's IF there are any left in Essos to hire anyway) but where are these other thousands of men coming from? If you're referring to Wildlings, i seriously doubt they will follow stannis south of the wall, unless mance tricks him and the wildlings turn on stannis and take the north for themselves, which again, is highly unlikely.

Remember also that Ned Stark supported Stannis' claim to the IT, so with all the other male Starks gone along with anyone to take the role of KotN, Stannis is the only one in the area that could legitimately claim any royal authority. No one in the north is going to go along with the Frey/Bolton charade.

I think the real question is whether the Iron Throne has any real importance at this stage in the game. I strongly feel one of the points Martin will make before the end of the series is how irrelevant the IT was in the grand scheme of things, and that true leadership comes not from that uncomfortable chair, but from protecting the people sworn to you. In this regard Stannis and Dany are the only real contenders. The threat of the Others make a mockery of the Game of Thrones, and Winter is here.

Remember also that Ned Stark supported Stannis' claim to the IT, so with all the other male Starks gone along with anyone to take the role of KotN, Stannis is the only one in the area that could legitimately claim any royal authority. No one in the north is going to go along with the Frey/Bolton charade.

Good point, Everyone is going along with Bolton right now out of fear and lack of any other power base to follow, but he has a long way to go before anyone in the North truly considers him legit. Stannis winning at Winterfell gives the North the reason they are looking for to drop Bolton.

35,000 men in 3 months? 55,000 in five years? Where are you getting these numbers from? the North is one of the most sparsely populate area's in the seven kingdoms and the coldest. When Robb called his banners, it was summer and it had been 17 years of peace, peace under Stark rule as well i might add, of course Robb didn't take every available man at arms, but he was a smart tactician, surrounded by Lords well versed in war, he knew how many men to take and how many to leave behind.

Most of those 18,000 men that when south are dead or stuck south of the neck. Rodrik Cassel lost more men to the Boltons and most other northern lords have lost most of their fighting men. Winter has come! I'd be surprised if there were 55,000 births during this time! I agree that Stannis can hire sellswords (That's IF there are any left in Essos to hire anyway) but where are these other thousands of men coming from? If you're referring to Wildlings, i seriously doubt they will follow stannis south of the wall, unless mance tricks him and the wildlings turn on stannis and take the north for themselves, which again, is highly unlikely.

The North had about 55,000 men before the war. Due to the vast distances and logistical problems, Robb could only take a third, leaving about 35,000 at home. Those are the 35,000 to be gathered in six months (instead of six weeks and then marched to Riverrun). In five years, the lost 20,000 men will be replaced. Teenagers will grow into adulthood, some stablemen promoted to men-at-arms and trained appropriately, NCOs promoted to officers and all such.

As to your 55,000 births, the North should have about 10 million inhabitants. It would have at least 550,000 births during that timeframe! Not that it matters. And no, I don't refer to the Wildlings.

Nobody knows that. Only Cersei and her court at the time, but they didn't tell.

The North had about 55,000 men before the war. Due to the vast distances and logistical problems, Robb could only take a third, leaving about 35,000 at home. Those are the 35,000 to be gathered in six months (instead of six weeks and then marched to Riverrun). In five years, the lost 20,000 men will be replaced. Teenagers will grow into adulthood, some stablemen promoted to men-at-arms and trained appropriately, NCOs promoted to officers and all such.

As to your 55,000 births, the North should have about 10 million inhabitants. It would have at least 550,000 births during that timeframe! Not that it matters. And no, I don't refer to the Wildlings.

Doesnt Stannis know it? Ned sent off a letter telling him to come to KL cause Joffreys not Roberts son, etc. I imagine he has this letter. A letter written by Ned saying he should be King would carry some weight. I would think.

Doesnt Stannis know it? Ned sent off a letter telling him to come to KL cause Joffreys not Roberts son, etc. I imagine he has this letter. A letter written by Ned saying he should be King would carry some weight. I would think.

No. Cersei has that letter, it never left KL. Don't be confused by the show BS.

No. Cersei has that letter, it never left KL. Don't be confused by the show BS.

My bad. Thats why I put it in the form of a question. I was not 100% sure. Thanks for squaring me away.

If Stannis is to have any hope he must take WF and defeat Bolton. Its win or die here. I get the feeling the North would be happy to back anyone other than Bolton and Stannis has got the resume and with a win at WF they most likely will back him.

After that there are just way too many variables. Winter, distance, Rickon, Aegon, Cersei and Margerys trial, will other lords follow him, will Massey bet back with the troops he needs, and then the worse threat of all... the Others.

At the very least I hope he makes it to spring. I enjoy the hell out of his story line and would like to see him make it to the last book.

I dont think he will ever come back to south again. I just dont really see it. There is a dance of dragons that awaits us and we need to get rid off this Stannis and the Boltons (even though I root for Stannis in his war agaisnt the Boltons I still want him dead).

when ever i think of Stannis in the north, there is one possible foreshadowing that comes to my mind

in GOT novel Greatjon made an impressive speech when crowning robb as king of the North. part of speech is

"Renly Baratheon is nothing to me, nor Stannis neither. Why should they rule over me and mine, from some flowery seat in Highgarden or Dorne? What do they know of the Wall or the wolfswood or the barrows of the First Men? Even their gods are wrong"

and while analyzing this bold part, we can rightly think that stannis is right now doing exactly the same.

he has been at the wall won a battle, he has passed the wolfswood and survived (still yet to materialize) and with theon's chapter in WoW, he might probably make the GODS right from wrong.

so in this foreshadowing, i think stannis will know the barrows of First Men. and after that GRRM knows. but in my opinion stannis is in north to prove Greatjon wrong

All stannis has to do is survive an that's what stannis is a survivor.ge is only king doing anything he will win the battle of winterfel . Stannis may surprise everyone an accept the old gods after he realizes there power .stannis defeats the last one standing after aegon an Dany bleed there selves stannis rolls in fresh from his victory in the north

First he has to win the battle in the snow. The 2 people that have kept Stannis in the game are Melisandre and Davos. He doesn't have either of them close. Melisandre seems more interested in Jon these days

It's hard to believe that Martin had the Winterfell Godswood survive the burning of Winterfell just so Stannis can burn it.

Stannis has been delusional since the opening prologue of Clash of Kings. Thats why I love him. He thinks every lord will bend the knee and the gates of Kings Landing will just open to him and sit his righteous ass on the Iron Throne.

Will he ever sit the throne? Hell no!!!!

Will he go down in the most heroic/villainous way possible? yes!!! He is the biggest wild card in ASOIAF and the next two books will be heavily influenced on his actions.

Stannis has always had an idealistic bent, so I'm sure he does think there is a future where he's seated on the throne, Davos is his hand, and the corrupt have been given what they're owed. I don't think he will ever sit the throne, but his position isn't too bad. He seems set to win the Battle of Ice, taking the North isn't unlikely, he has the backing of the Iron Bank, the south will be considerably war torn by the time he reaches it.

It's hard to believe that Martin had the Winterfell Godswood survive the burning of Winterfell just so Stannis can burn it.

He's not going to do that. Burning weirwoods was a part of his plan when he first arrived at the Wall and expected to quickly bind everyone to him and his religion, by virtue of him having saved the Night's Watch and expecting their gratitude. His time in the north has subsequently changed that view, and he points out to one of his underlings that an undue burning would be stupid given he's surrounded by thousands of OG worshipers who don't care for R'hllor.

Stannis is actually in a strong position

Assuming he can beat the Boltons and Davos can get Rikon to him, he not only gains the northern armies (which Rob barely tapped) but also the Mandalay fleet, I'd imagine he could easily gather 20,000

With whatever mercenary companies his agents hire he's in a prime position to launch a surprise amphibious assault on Kings Landing

With no Tyrion, No Chain, No Wildfire, No warning (no royal fleet on the east coast) and with most of the Tyrell and Lannister forces busy in the Stormlands

he could quite easily take the city and Trommen before the defense gets properly organised

Mel saw Stannis on the Iron Throne and this would be the easiest way to accomplish this

whether he can hold what he gains is another matter

Ned declared in open court: "Your son has no claim to the throne he sits. Lord Stannis is Robert's true heir." It doesn't say if there were any lords and ladies present, but since it was Joffrey's first appearance as king and the whole point was to gain oaths of fealty from all available highborn, I can't imagine there weren't. But it is possible that it was just Cersei and her people, so that little detail could have been covered up. At his execution, Ned said he tried to take the crown for himself.

Still, with the Lannisters responsible for Ned's death and King Robb gone, Stannis would be the only legitimate ruler in the eyes of the north.

Archived