NFL 2014: Preseason Edition

Jaime L

So looks like the stellar 2011 draft class is starting to get paid, really for the first time in their careers as this was the first year the rookie wage scale was instituted. About time - there's no more deserving of getting paid than basically the first 11 picks from that draft (not counting Locker and Gabbert).

Patrick Peterson, the 4th pick from that year, got 5 years for $70m ($48m guaranteed) making him just barely the highest paid CB in football over Richard Sherman.

Also Tyron Smith, the 9th pick of that year, is getting 8 year for $98m. It's not clear yet what his guaranteed amount will be). Still it promises to be massive. Makes sense though for a guy who's the same age as a lot of the Class of 2013 and is one of the elite LTs in the game already.

What blows my mind is that Houston has yet to do the right thing and sign JJ Watt longterm. Lock him up! He's easily the best defensive player in the game. Grantland has a nice article about how insanely great and dedicated the guy is. The Texans have about a month until the season starts - there is zero excuse not to lock him up by then.

According to WaPo, it's 8 years, 98 million, 40 million guaranteed.

The Dallas Cowboys have signed Tyron Smith to an eight-year contract extension that locks up the Pro Bowl left tackle through the 2023 season.

The extension signed Wednesday is worth $98 million, pushing the total value of his deal to 10 years and $110 million. Smith gets a $10 million signing bonus and $40 million in guaranteed money.

That could end up being a real discount by 2020 or so. Although I'm sure the contract will be tinkered with well before then.

According to WaPo, it's 8 years, 98 million, 40 million guaranteed.

That could end up being a real discount by 2020 or so. Although I'm sure the contract will be tinkered with well before then.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/

The official sie of the Cowboys have him at $110 million and signed through 2023. That is a 9 years deal. Nevermind... they are counting money on his rookie deal as well to get the figure up that much... WaPo is accurate

so who'd you guys take as the top corner ,Sherman or Peterson ? i'd take Peterson , the guy just seems more complete as an athlete and he's doing it without the exceptional supporting cast of safeties that Sherman has .

Mighty Potato: You make a good point about the safety help that Sherman has. Cardinals secondary isn't lacking much this coming season. Mathieu proved to be pretty good as a rookie (hopefully he heals up well), and Cromartie will be a nice addition opposite Peterson. I think they added someone else in their secondary but can't recall. If their LB's could stay out of trouble (Washington, Abraham), they'd have a pretty formidable defense to match the offense (when palmer isn't throwing interceptions). With that said I'm still gonna go with Sherman. His mentality can't be matched. I want that in a CB.

BormonReborn: Pats D is going to be a lot better this year. Browner and Revis will be fun to watch. Easily 12 wins this year if not more.

I don't know. I think Peterson is overrated and I think Sherman is helped immensely by his stadium, the refs and the rest of his defense. That being said, I'd give it to Sherman (if between those two) because when it's all said and done, despite the help that he has, his production is much much better than Peterson's.

Ultimately though, I still think Revis is the best corner in the game.

For you Patriot fans out there Jamie Collins seems to be a superstar in the making. He appears to be the perfect Patriot. I am really stoked about the Pats D this year.

BormonReborn: Pats D is going to be a lot better this year. Browner and Revis will be fun to watch. Easily 12 wins this year if not more.

I am trying not to be too optimistic based on camp performance, but I like the things I've been hearing. Apparently Brandon Browner has been tussling with the receivers, particularly Kenbrell Thompkins, and the WR coach actually yelled at him. As long as no one gets injured, I like it. Rodney Harrison caused a similar ruckus in camp when he arrived. This defense has lacked intimidation and swagger since Harrison and the Parcells guys (McGinest, Ted Johnson, Bruschi) left. And hopefully it toughens up the offense too.

I don't know. I think Peterson is overrated and I think Sherman is helped immensely by his stadium, the refs and the rest of his defense. That being said, I'd give it to Sherman (if between those two) because when it's all said and done, despite the help that he has, his production is much much better than Peterson's.

Ultimately though, I still think Revis is the best corner in the game.

ESPN had a poll yesterday on the best CB in the NFL. It was interesting to see the map of responses -- most of the country had a plurality voting for Sherman, but Arizona and Louisiana went for Peterson, Ohio for Haden, and New England (except Connecticut, those fucks) voting for Revis.

Good for the Pats there, DG. It can only be healthy for a defense and offense to hate each other, and I say that without sarcasm. I love hearing the stories about how the Kurt Warner era Rams (greatest show on turf) would have fights break out between the defense and the offense and how much they hated each other. That's a good thing in my mind, because it gives both groups a drive to out do the other.

Fuck New England, lucky bastards.

I am trying not to be too optimistic based on camp performance, but I like the things I've been hearing. Apparently Brandon Browner has been tussling with the receivers, particularly Kenbrell Thompkins, and the WR coach actually yelled at him. As long as no one gets injured, I like it. Rodney Harrison caused a similar ruckus in camp when he arrived. This defense has lacked intimidation and swagger since Harrison and the Parcells guys (McGinest, Ted Johnson, Bruschi) left. And hopefully it toughens up the offense too.

ESPN had a poll yesterday on the best CB in the NFL. It was interesting to see the map of responses -- most of the country had a plurality voting for Sherman, but Arizona and Louisiana went for Peterson, Ohio for Haden, and New England (except Connecticut, those fucks) voting for Revis.

This is happening in Cincinnati as well. Burfict just pummels Gio every opportunity he gets despite the fact theyr'e just wearing shoulder pads and there has been a few de-cleating type hits on WRs from other LBs. Additionally, yesterday there was as a scuffle where a LB threw a punch at AJ Green and he went mental though it actually started with a OG and LB. Good times.

As for the poll, no real surprise. Most people have no idea so they just vote with whoever the media features the most or who they know from their area. A fan poll is the least reliable representation of what's actually true. NFL.com did a poll the other day about how the AFC North was going to finish and despite the Bengals going to the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years and the last 3 years in a row, the fans have them finishing last behind the Browns. Love it.

Mexal: The AFC North will be wide open and very competitive this year. Browns will win 8 games at most. Bengals look good on paper, and should be pretty good, but I don't buy Dalton. He's that guy who can have big games against mediocre teams, and also be the guy who throws four interceptions in one game. Neither surprise me.

Steelers or Bengals will win the division.

Mexal: The AFC North will be wide open and very competitive this year. Browns will win 8 games at most. Bengals look good on paper, and should be pretty good, but I don't buy Dalton. He's that guy who can have big games against mediocre teams, and also be the guy who throws four interceptions in one game. Neither surprise me.

Steelers or Bengals will win the division.

Oh I agree that it'll likely come down to the Bengals and Steelers. I also don't trust Dalton. But I do trust the talent around him and hope that the coaching staff, with Hue Jackson as the OC now, can figure out a way to limit his negative influence on the game. Every skill position on the Bengals is stacked with early round talent and the OL has consistently been good. That being said, Dalton has been pretty sharp in TC and if there was ever a time for him to take a sizable jump, it's going into his 4th year with the same people around him.

I guess my point was simply that fans believe the Browns will finish ahead of the Bengals and that doesn't make sense at all given what we know about the teams, coaching staffs and talent levels.

But...but...JOHNNY FOOTBALL!!!!!

Reports out of camp are that Hoyer is badly outplaying Manziel.

Early in camp at least, before the preseason games even start to clarify things a little, Hoyer has held a clear edge over Manziel in their battle. In the two days of practices I watched, Hoyer looked much smoother and more comfortable in new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s system, knows the playbook inside out and has been the sharper and more consistent passer and playmaker. Manziel has flashed at times, but he has for the most part looked like the rookie quarterback he is: The good, the bad, the occasional ugly. His reps have been with the No. 2 offense, and Hoyer has led the Browns’ first team.

Cleveland doesn’t open its preseason for another 10 days or so, at Detroit next Saturday, but it’s obviously Hoyer’s job to lose as August arrives.

Manziel has got to see the field eventually, and it's possible Kyle Shanahan will put him out there for a series every game to run the read-option just to annoy the opposing defenses. But Manziel might have to wait before taking the NFL by storm.

Mexal (quote option not working on this comp): Agreed. Dalton has plenty of talent around him and I like the defense a lot. The coaching changes should benefit him. I'm just wondering that maybe Marvin Lewis is the issue? Three playoff appearances in eleven years I think? I don't believe he has a win either. Maybe he is the issue, because the Bengals have a lot of talent.

And yeah, the Browns hype is unreal right now. I like Hoyer, but you'd think the guy is the next Aaron Rodgers with he way everyone is talking about him. Very unlikely Gordon will play this year, and Miles Austin has too many injury issues in the past for me to think that he can duplicate those couple years he was a beast for Dallas. Jordan Cameron is nice, and did particularly well before Hoyer got hurt. I'd like to think Tate can be nice as a featured back, but we'll have to wait and see. Their defense was pretty solid last year, but TJ Ward is better than Whitner (younger too). Would've been nice to see them re-sign Ward. Haden is one of the best, and Gilbert should be pretty good, but he's gonna get thrown to a lot so we'll see.

Overall, I think the Browns did get better, but no way they finish higher than the Bengals or Steelers. Not sure how I feel about the Ravens yet. They'll be competitive, but probably a 9 win team. Browns got better but may still finish last in the division due to its difficulty.

Mexal (quote option not working on this comp): Agreed. Dalton has plenty of talent around him and I like the defense a lot. The coaching changes should benefit him. I'm just wondering that maybe Marvin Lewis is the issue? Three playoff appearances in eleven years I think? I don't believe he has a win either. Maybe he is the issue, because the Bengals have a lot of talent.

5 playoff appearances in his 11 years with the team, 4 of them in the last 5 years when before he arrived, we had been to the playoffs 0 times in 15 years. Lewis really isn't the issue. He and Mike Brown's daughter basically run the team and the only reason we've amassed as much talent as we have is because of Lewis. Yes, we need to do better in big games, but that's on the players as well and eventually, it'll click. At least, that's my hope.

Mexal: Good point. It's going to be on Dalton's shoulders. Especially with the contract talk. They must really believe in Lewis when he keeps getting re-signed and never won a playoff game. 11 years with a team and no playoff wins is pretty suspect, but this may be the year. The really hard playoff road is in the NFC. AFC teams have it a little bit easier.

Browns are going 16-0 and missing the playoffs because they're the Browns.

Well, the only team to ever go 6-0 within their division and still not make the playoffs is the Raiders in 2010. At least you don't have to worry about that happening!

Archived