NFL 2014: Preseason Edition

Jaime L

The bengals still feel like a coach away. They've been very good at talent evaluation and incredibly poor in making a lot out of it. Part of that is their division, which is quite competitive - but part of it is just big collapses in the postseason. If that's not on the coach, who is it on?

The bengals still feel like a coach away. They've been very good at talent evaluation and incredibly poor in making a lot out of it. Part of that is their division, which is quite competitive - but part of it is just big collapses in the postseason. If that's not on the coach, who is it on?

Players? Replacing Marvin Lewis with the next up and coming OC isn't going to make Andy Dalton make better decisions in the heat of the moment (like not diving forward and fumbling the ball untouched) or make a wide open AJ Green catch a perfectly throw deep ball that would have resulted in a TD or Gio Bernard fumbling the ball on the opposing 5 yard line after the Bengals drove 80 yards. It sucks that these types of situations happen in the playoffs but I don't think any coach can influence these types of mistakes that happen on the field in isolated circumstances like a single playoff game. It sucks that they happen but I put it on the players, not the coaches in those situations.

Yeah, I'm more or less with Mexal on this one. If you look at that meltdown versus the Chargers last season, there was plenty of blame to go around. I'd say Dalton gets the lion's share, but I think they gave up a special teams score and you had Bernard coughing up a fumble as well.

Some of that falls on the Head Coach, but who do you get to replace him that's going to be an upgrade?

Yeah, I'm more or less with Mexal on this one. If you look at that meltdown versus the Chargers last season, there was plenty of blame to go around. I'd say Dalton gets the lion's share, but I think they gave up a special teams score and you had Bernard coughing up a fumble as well.

Some of that falls on the Head Coach, but who do you get to replace him that's going to be an upgrade?

Let us think of a hypothetical situation where the Bengals could replace either Andy Dalton with Aaron Rodgers or replace Marvin Lewis with Bill Belichick. Which one will lead to more postseason success? I know it is not the best way of settling this debate. But in my mind, QB is the biggest issue with the Bengals and coaching while not top notch is way down the list of problems.

Let us think of a hypothetical situation where the Bengals could replace either Andy Dalton with Aaron Rodgers or replace Marvin Lewis with Bill Belichick. Which one will lead to more postseason success? I know it is not the best way of settling this debate. But in my mind, QB is the biggest issue with the Bengals and coaching while not top notch is way down the list of problems.

Agreed. All that being said, I get Kalbear's point. That Bengals team had no business losing to the Chargers at home in the first round of the playoffs. If they have a similar result this season, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin is looking for a job.

Agreed. All that being said, I get Kalbear's point. That Bengals team had no business losing to the Chargers at home in the first round of the playoffs. If they have a similar result this season, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin is looking for a job.

One that he'd get very quickly if he did move on.

How is the news that Brady retiring is not lighting this place up?

Oh...Brady QUINN. Didn't realize he was still alive.

I think in a time like this we should all take a moment to reflect on all the wonderful moments from Brady Quinn's career. Here's my top 5:

1) That time Brady Quinn fell 20 spots in the draft...to the Browns. (We'll never see that again).

2) That time Brady Quinn held out for a better contract, ended up missing preseason reps and lost his job to Derek Anderson.

3) That one good game Brady Quinn had where he threw 4 TD passes (!) and was about to win a game...but then lost to the 2-14 Lions.

4) That time Brady Quinn was Kyle Orton's backup and Kyle Orton got benched and........somehow Tim Tebow ends up starting the rest of the season.

5) That time Brady Quinn retired and got hired as a college football analyst. Wait, WTF?

I think in a time like this we should all take a moment to reflect on all the wonderful moments from Brady Quinn's career. Here's my top 5:

1) That time Brady Quinn fell 20 spots in the draft...to the Browns. (We'll never see that again).

2) That time Brady Quinn held out for a better contract, ended up missing preseason reps and lost his job to Derek Anderson.

3) That one good game Brady Quinn had where he threw 4 TD passes (!) and was about to win a game...but then lost to the 2-14 Lions.

4) That time Brady Quinn was Kyle Orton's backup and Kyle Orton got benched and........somehow Tim Tebow ends up starting the rest of the season.

5) That time Brady Quinn retired and got hired as a college football analyst. Wait, WTF?

:rofl:

Wait a minute... Brady Quinn held out before the 2007 season? He had just been drafted! Who the fuck holds out of their rookie contract?

Wait a minute... Brady Quinn held out before the 2007 season? He had just been drafted! Who the fuck holds out of their rookie contract?

Uh, quite a few first round picks, especially QBs drafted in the 20s before the 2011 collective bargaining agreement.

That was a very, very typical occurrence in the non-draft slotted contract era.

Shit, Michael Crabtree didn't even step onto the field until around midway through his rookie season.

Also, Brady didn't lose his job to Derek Anderson, unless the job you are talking about is second string QB. The starter to open that year was Charlie Frye. Anderson came in in the second half of the opener.

Jesus, being a Browns fan is really depressing a lot of the time.

Archived