NFL 2014: Preseason Edition

Jaime L

Oh, and on another note, Aldon Smith...who everyone says has been by a mile the most impressive player in camp...is apparently facing a "significant suspension". League sending a message that it won't tolerate certain kinds of behaviour, I guess.

I hate to say it, but I think he deserves it. What kind of knucklehead makes a bomb joke at an airport? Farking dumbass...

He definitely has it coming, but the Ray Rice debacle is going to leave a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths for a long time. As it should.

The backlash of which is likely to mean a stiffer penalty for Smith. Which sucks, but if it means they start dealing with this crap more harshly, I can live with it. Hopefully the league starts showing more consistency with their punishments and such. They are starting to resemble the NCAA in that regard.

I hate to say it, but I think he deserves it. What kind of knucklehead makes a bomb joke at an airport? Farking dumbass...

In isolation, sure. Actually, the airport thing is apparently not as reported, probably a non-event if he weren't known, but the DUI and weapons things are issues I am in favour of being taken much more seriously than they appear to be.

But what I don't enjoy is the foreknowledge that this will be if anything framed by the Rice backlash, and not indicative of a real change in league policy on any issues. So Smith will lose more games in his prime than he would otherwise and years from now when we look back on how many relative to the norm of the time, we will need the Rice story to understand why.

And that sucks.

The backlash of which is likely to mean a stiffer penalty for Smith. Which sucks, but if it means they start dealing with this crap more harshly, I can live with it. Hopefully the league starts showing more consistency with their punishments and such. They are starting to resemble the NCAA in that regard.

I wish it would, Smith aside, but I am pretty confident this will just be the crest of the Rice tide, and the effect on his career/ the Niners season will be far more lasting than the change in league temper.

In isolation, sure. Actually, the airport thing is apparently not as reported, probably a non-event if he weren't known, but the DUI and weapons things are issues I am in favour of being taken much more seriously than they appear to be.

But what I don't enjoy is the foreknowledge that this will be if anything framed by the Rice backlash, and not indicative of a real change in league policy on any issues. So Smith will lose more games in his prime than he would otherwise and years from now when we look back on how many relative to the norm of the time, we will need the Rice story to understand why.

And that sucks.

Agreed, the timing of this couldn't be worse in regards to whatever punishment the league decides to dole out to Smith. That being said, I think this could possibly led to a sea change across the board. I think the Rice backlash was a bit of a wakeup call for the NFL. Whether or not it leads to any substantive change remains to be seen, but I have my hopes.

Did anyone watch the Hall of Fame induction last night? I am watching the rebroadcast right now. It just seems to be a pretty weak class this year.

The only one I watched was Derrick Brooks. His speech was good and he was a beast on that D. That '02 Bucs D is vastly underrated. They won that Super Bowl.

I've tended towards the not-quite-enough view on Marvin Lewis as a head coach, but I wonder how different perspective might be on him if not for Kimo von Oelhoffen doing the Bernard Pollard on Carson Palmer's knee in that year the Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl against Seattle.

ETA: Oh Jerry Jones, never change:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/11295007/dallas-cowboys-include-playoff-tickets-package-season-ticket-holders

Quick addendum to this joke...

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Cowboysticket_zps17a03e9f.jpg.html

Sorry Howdyphillip...

So, I keep reading about how much Trent Richardson has 'improved', and like any emotionally stable adult, I have dismissed these claims as desperate delusions. But... what if he comes out and plays well? I am not predicting anything of the sort, and I would eat my shorts, but what if...

Hope springs eternal.

So, I keep reading about how much Trent Richardson has 'improved', and like any emotionally stable adult, I have dismissed these claims as desperate delusions. But... what if he comes out and plays well? I am not predicting anything of the sort, and I would eat my shorts, but what if...

Hope springs eternal.

Oh, my sweet summer child...

ETA: Five weeks, people. And I'm not sitting on the sidelines this year!

So, yeah, 49ers hits just keep on coming. Starting NT Dorsey likely lost for season with torn bicep. Second year in a row to lose starting NT for season. Not going to be a good year, and the draft/trades had me so excited.

Ouch. On the plus side, I'm hearing nothing but good things about the D-line in general. Looks like there are a couple of second stringers who are standing out, so hopefully they'll have a solid replacement for Dorsey. Hopefully they're getting all their injuries out of the way in camp. HOPEFULLY.

Hope springs eternal.

Sorry coach, I am with Sivin on this one.

Hope springs eternal.

These are the stories of training camp.

Ouch. On the plus side, I'm hearing nothing but good things about the D-line in general. Looks like there are a couple of second stringers who are standing out, so hopefully they'll have a solid replacement for Dorsey. Hopefully they're getting all their injuries out of the way in camp. HOPEFULLY.

Problem is none of them are 0 technique guys. Dial's listed as next in line, but he has little experience on the nose and at 6-5 isn't exactly a natural for it. NT is the one position we don't have much depth at, not suprising when you lose 2 starters in less than a year. Williams may make it back at some point, but NT is a heavy load to put on an ankle that's required 5 surgeries and several metal pins inserted in the past 10 months.

Best solution considering Bowman may be switching to a 4-3 until either Nowman or Williams get healthy, but fucking around with a great defence isn't exactly a great way to start. What a disastrous beginning. Honestly, at this point I'd be getting on Arizona ahead of us.

Archived