Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

Only outstanding question I found in the previous thread was this one:

Not really a small question, but I don't know if it's worthy for a thread. Craster tells the NW where they could find the wildlings (Frostfangs), while he is fully aware that one of them crows might get caught and tell that he gave them the whereabouts (which happens - Jon gets caught and does kind of tell). Why is Craster not afraid of an eventual revenge, like Tormund suggests. Does he think the Others would protect him?

Otherwise, carry on.

I think he just considered himself as unattackable whilst he stayed in his keep. He certainly wasn't used to being argued with. Even Mormont bowed down to the abuse he was dishing out.

In answer to the question from the last version of the thread, quick can also refer to being quick witted, or intelligent.

How long was Lyanna Stark abducted/hidden by Rhaegar? A couple of months, or over a year?

(I've only read the series once, so timelines and fan-theories are mighty confusing to me :( )

It has to be over a year. Lyanna was already gone for a time before Brandon rode to KL. After Brandon and Rickard are killed, Aerys calls for Ned and Roberts heads. Jon Arryn raises his banners signalling the start of the rebellion. The rebellion lasted for approximately a year.

Craster just plays all sides, is my guess. He is mutually beneficial to both the NW and Wildlings.

Well, I don't see how is he as beneficial to the wildlings as to the watch. If he feeds the wildlings info about rangers, they will pretty much have to deal with it because he's often been the difference between life and death to them. But the wildlings, how exactly is he so important to them?

Well, I don't see how is he as beneficial to the wildlings as to the watch. If he feeds the wildlings info about rangers, they will pretty much have to deal with it because he's often been the difference between life and death to them. But the wildlings, how exactly is he so important to them?

I think you answered your own question. He could give the wildlings information about rangers.

I did, didn't I? Apparently I just needed someone to point out the answer within my question ;) Thanks.

It could also be that the Wildlings just don't want anything to do with him, like he's unholy/cursed or something. Even though he is their enemy, it's not worth dealing with him because of the stigma.

How long was Lyanna Stark abducted/hidden by Rhaegar? A couple of months, or over a year?

(I've only read the series once, so timelines and fan-theories are mighty confusing to me :( )

Around 14/15 months is the best estimation with the information currently available.

Aegon was 12 to 14 months old when he died, as of the only, semi-canon info that GRRM has ever given. Rhaegar was with Elia and Aegon at least shortly after the birth (since he spoke to the maesters). Lyanna thus went missing some time (at least a few weeks) after Aegons birth. Of course, Aegon predeceased Lyanna, by about a month, or a month and a half.

Which puts the time between the moment Lyanna went missing until the moment Ned finds her again at ToJ at 14 to 15 months.

In case your interested, this is the only reference to Craster we have from Mance:

“Vanished, aye,” said Mance Rayder. “And not just the free folk. Who told you where we were, Jon Snow?”

Tormund snorted. “It were Craster, or I’m a blushing maid. I told you, Mance, that creature needs to be shorter by a head.”

The king gave the older man an irritated look. “Tormund, some day try thinking before you speak. I know it was Craster. I asked Jon to see if he would tell it true.”

In case your interested, this is the only reference to Craster we have from Mance:

That's exactly where my question spurred from - they know he's a snitch and works with the NW, and Tormund suggests they deal with him the hard way, and yet Craster has no fear from the wildlings when he's tipping the Watch off.

That's exactly where my question spurred from - they know he's a snitch and works with the NW, and Tormund suggests they deal with him the hard way, and yet Craster has no fear from the wildlings when he's tipping the Watch off.

Perhaps because their priorities are elsewhere, and Craster doesn't know all that much (he knew a location, but not the plan, for example).

"I had a gift for tounges, though...Even so, I was more bother than I was worth, so they sent me finally to King's Landing to bring the Lord's light to seven-besotted Westeros. King Aerys so loved fire it was thought he might make a convert. Alas, his pyromancers knew better tricks than I did." Thoros, Arya VIII, SoS

So he wasn't sent to convert the King specifically it sounds like to me.

Thoros was sent to KL to try and convert Aerys II to the Red God. That obviously didn't work, but Thoros remained in KL anyway. That's why he was there when the Sack occured, and that's why he was present throughout most of Robert's reign. He and Robert got along because they both liked drinking a lot ;) Which is why Thoros was allowed to stay around so long.

Archived