Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

I'd have to check, but I am fairly sure that it is stated that the Florents are Stannis' core support somewhere in a Storm of Swords. It could also be from Axell Florent in Dance I'm not sure.

ETA: That wasn't really the point of my.post though. I was merely pointing out that a Florent was still a good match for Stannis

They aren't terrible, but before Joffrey was born Stannis was heir to the thrown, just seems like there were better matches available, Lynesse Hightower.. Arianne if it could have been swung, not saying it could have, either way that wasn't my primary point either lol, just wanted clarification because I knew something I was remembering was from the show.

Do we know if blue roses bloom in winter or in summer?

In the show, they are clearly like any other roses, but I had this fixed idea that they're different and grow in winter since IIRC they're referred to as "blue winter roses" (albeit I suppose it could be a figurative description) and GRRM used the motif of blue flowers which grow in ice and snow in his (ASoIaF unrelated) work before - specifically in the short story Bitterblooms.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Lyanna was crowned in the Year of the False Spring, but then, the roses in her crown might had been grown in greenhouses.

Is Robert's warhammer (or anything that goes by the ter warhammer) supposed to be a one-handed or a two-handed weapon? In many of the artworks it is depicted as one-handed, but I think I've heard somewhere that "polearm" is an interchangable term with "warhammer", so that would suggest two-handed? Thanks.

Is Robert's warhammer (or anything that goes by the ter warhammer) supposed to be a one-handed or a two-handed weapon? In many of the artworks it is depicted as one-handed, but I think I've heard somewhere that "polearm" is an interchangable term with "warhammer", so that would suggest two-handed? Thanks.

Its 1 handed, we get this from Ned and also from the fact that Robert fought on horseback. Ned comments that he could barely life Robs hammer with 2 hands when Rob swung it around with 1.

Its 1 handed, we get this from Ned and also from the fact that Robert fought on horseback. Ned comments that he could barely life Robs hammer with 2 hands when Rob swung it around with 1.

So, couldn't he be like Gregor who swings the greatsword with one hand? I mean, if a normal person can't even lift the hammer with two hands, doesn't it imply it was actually two-handed? The horseback argument does make sense, unless we assume Robert actually swung a two-handed hammer with one hand and had a shield in the other hand.

Jaime also thinks of Robert as the first one of the list of people who are definitely stronger than him. It's not really important, but it's one detail that would make scenes in my mind clearer :)

So, couldn't he be like Gregor who swings the greatsword with one hand? I mean, if a normal person can't even lift the hammer with two hands, doesn't it imply it was actually two-handed? The horseback argument does make sense, unless we assume Robert actually swung a two-handed hammer with one hand and had a shield in the other hand.

Jaime also thinks of Robert as the first one of the list of people who are definitely stronger than him. It's not really important, but it's one detail that would make scenes in my mind clearer :)

For what it's worth, in the comic book version, there is a (absolutely stunning) full page picture by Patterson, who depicts Bob vs Rhaegar, and Bobby B is definitely holding what looks like a one-handed club (he has a shield on his other hand, and it's not that big.)

Snip

Edit: Lyanna was crowned in the Year of the False Spring, but then, the roses in her crown might had been grown in greenhouses.

Holy shit. Now I really wanna know too.

For what it's worth, in the comic book version, there is a (absolutely stunning) full page picture by Patterson, who depicts Bob vs Rhaegar, and Bobby B is definitely holding what looks like a one-handed club (he has a shield on his other hand, and it's not that big.)

Holy shit. Now I really wanna know too.

Thanks, I guess we can't really have a definitive answer with the information we've got.

As to the blue roses, in the KotLT story, it is said that they are the rarest and most valuable flower ever. It could be due to their unique colour only, but I think it implies that beside the blue colour, they are actually roses that blossom in harsh conditions, unlike other roses.

In the show, they are clearly like any other roses, but I had this fixed idea that they're different and grow in winter since IIRC they're referred to as "blue winter roses" (albeit I suppose it could be a figurative description) and GRRM used the motif of blue flowers which grow in ice and snow in his (ASoIaF unrelated) work before - specifically in the short story Bitterblooms.

Thanks in advance!

There could still be winter roses in the Year of the False Spring. Just like 0 AC would be "the year of Aegon's Landing" but that doesn't mean Aegon was landing all year. If the false spring occurred in the months before the tournament, it could have been back to winter when it was actually held.

Quick question that might have already been covered but I cannot find it. It comes from Jon's last chapter in ADWD before he is stabbed by Marsh and other conspirators. Just previous to the stabbing, Wun Wun is finishing off Ser Patrek And Jon sees men pouring from the keeps and towers all around him, drawn to the commotion. He specifically calls them "Northmen, free folk, queen's men..." I know a small group of clansmen came down from the mountains for the Thenn/Karstark wedding and possibly stayed for awhile. But Jon does not think clansmen, he thinks Northmen. Are there Northmen at the Wall that I am unaware of or are they just clansmen and I'm over thinking this?

Quick question that might have already been covered but I cannot find it. It comes from Jon's last chapter in ADWD before he is stabbed by Marsh and other conspirators. Just previous to the stabbing, Wun Wun is finishing off Ser Patrek And Jon sees men pouring from the keeps and towers all around him, drawn to the commotion. He specifically calls them "Northmen, free folk, queen's men..." I know a small group of clansmen came down from the mountains for the Thenn/Karstark wedding and possibly stayed for awhile. But Jon does not think clansmen, he thinks Northmen. Are there Northmen at the Wall that I am unaware of or are they just clansmen and I'm over thinking this?

That is a very interesting question.

My take on it would be "unreliable narrator", except Jon's not narrating anything, he's actually speaking to other characters in-world, but it's just a slip of his tongue.

What he MEANT would be something like "black brothers, free folk, queen's men, spooky sexy 156-year old sorcerer, blood-drunk bloody giant, skinchanged boar, GUYS!"

But he *was* witnessing a guy being clubbed to death by a blood-drunk bloody giant, had just announced he was about to go on what was arguably an oathbreaking mission to pwn the shit out of a sociopath who (maybe did not) just wrote him the creepiest letter one could possibly ever read, WITH the very people the bunch of half-assed dickheads he's had to call his High Officiers for the last few months considered the very threat against the Realms; he might also be struggling with his very strong attraction to Satin (never mind the 156-year old spooky sexy chick who likes to glamour herself as the one girl he's ever allowed himself to love and beg him to make shadowbabies with).

He is probably pre-eh-eh-tty sure what he is looking at is what is going to end in the stupid, unavoidable bloodshed that has been brewing for a while.

Oh, also, the guy who is (most certainly not) his dad got killed a while back, then his (notrly) bro became a King and a war hero and badass and got murdered, just after his OTHER (notrly) bro who he was really fond of got (definitely NOT) killed by this guy who he fucking hated but still happened to be his foster-brother.

Did I mention he ran off from that one chick he ever allowed himself to love and then got her to shoot arrows at him and then in turn shoot arrows at her and her friends and is getting recurrent nightmares that he was the one who actually killed that one important chick?

He also got offered his childhood dream not that long ago and went like "nothx lol honor and duty and saving the world" and then got elected Lord Commander five seconds later SO THAT NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW he actually did the good thing and think that he just said no to Stannis cause he got himself another Lordship?

Oh, yeah, speaking of which. His old pal Stan is dead (is he tho.)

But it's all good, really, cause he's went to the Watch and took the black, because that's what the cool kids do. Except it's not. It's where people get force-sent to for crimes and scandal.

But hey, at least he has his uncle watching over him! ... No?

Eh, well, he's made a few friends. Grenn and Sam and Pyp - even Aemon! Oh, he sent them away?

Oh, also, there are a bunch of inhuman Sidhe badass fuckers with an army of zombies on the way, and it's pretty much the end of the world, and he's the only one around who seems to give two shits.

So okay, yeah, his life is pretty much shit and he's been under a lot of pressure.

But hey, he's the legitimate heir of Prince Rhaegar and rightful King of the Seven Kingdoms, is he *really* gonna complain?

Oh, wait, he has no fucking clue he's that, and has grown up as a barely-accepted bastard, (some would say) abused by his mother-in-law, and very much constructed his whole self on the insecurities that came from that.

TL;DR: His tongue slipped. Give the poor guy a break.

(I kind of got carried away here - I still think you just noticed something very interesting and might be on to something)

Yes, that was a bit of a tangent. But thank you for your response. I understand he is stressed and that it maybe nothing. I could possibly be reading too much into one small word. BUT we are discussing a line from a collection of novels where almost every word means something more, else why are we all here?

Yes, that was a bit of a tangent. But thank you for your response. I understand he is stressed and that it maybe nothing. I could possibly be reading too much into one small word. BUT we are discussing a line from a collection of novels where almost every word means something more, else why are we all here?

He does not list brothers, maybe since they are mostly northmen and now certainly all live in the north he just grouped clansmen, who are also northmen, with the brothers and called them northmen.

If Jon saw his brothers of the Nights Watch pouring from keeps and towers, he would have called them his black brothers, the Nights Watch or maybe even crows. If he did call them Northmen, it would be the first time in this book series Jon has done so.

Around 14/15 months is the best estimation with the information currently available.

Aegon was 12 to 14 months old when he died, as of the only, semi-canon info that GRRM has ever given. Rhaegar was with Elia and Aegon at least shortly after the birth (since he spoke to the maesters). Lyanna thus went missing some time (at least a few weeks) after Aegons birth. Of course, Aegon predeceased Lyanna, by about a month, or a month and a half.

Which puts the time between the moment Lyanna went missing until the moment Ned finds her again at ToJ at 14 to 15 months.

Thank you! :)

As to the winter roses, in Winterfell they are grown in a green house, probably because it's always colder up north, in both summer and winter. If (Winterfell can do so, other regions in Westeros can do so as well.

Would blue roses grow in the winter in the wild..? Well, that's tricky. They are called winter roses after all, if I'm not mistaken. So perhaps they only grow up north, where it is always a little bit of winter? Then during an actual winter, the Starks used their greenhouse, as the flower would die praise due to the cold..

Another possibility is that the name was derived from he colour of the flower alone.

So we don't really know. In a greenhouse, sure. In the wild.. who knows?

As to the QoLaB crown: did Lord Whent get to choose? Or is the crown always made from blue winter roses? That's why I asked the question about the different crowns :) to try and figure that out

Archived