Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

Quellon Greyjoy's third wife was a Piper from the Riverlands. Is it common for lords of the Iron Islands to marry outside of the Iron Islands seeing as how they are seemingly despised and all?

For a possibly longish time, the riverlands had never been a kingdom proper but part of either the westerlands, the norht or the iron islands iirc. For a possibly longish time, they had been part of the iron islands, and the capital of the kingdom must have been Harrenhal when the conquest happened. So ties form II->RL are older than 300 years.

That being said... I am not sure what the Iron Islanders are looking for, maybe lost noble bloodlines of their own? Or alliances?

Has it ever been confirmed by GRRM whether or not the Damphair is so named because it's a concatenation of damp and hair... and he "drowns" people?

Yes. He spends so much time in or close to the sea his hair seldom has time to dry. Looking for the SSM now... but can't find it. Must have been in a youtu.be interview.

Yes. He spends so much time in or close to the sea his hair seldom has time to dry. Looking for the SSM now... but can't find it. Must have been in a youtu.be interview.

YouTube video. I think "Amazon books" might be it.but could be wrong.

Quellon Greyjoy's third wife was a Piper from the Riverlands. Is it common for lords of the Iron Islands to marry outside of the Iron Islands seeing as how they are seemingly despised and all?

Can't tell you much about Grand Reavers from the Iron Isles but I can remind you about Tywin Lannisters dad taking a common woman as his misstress, and there was a targ kid who even married a commoner. Since Quallon already had sons from his first 2 wives I think it is probably not unacceptable to take a third wife of your choice.

and there was a targ kind who even married a commoner.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be "king" or kid, but I assume you mean Duncan the Small / Prince of Dragonflies? He was disinherited for marrying Jenny and thus never became king. I mean I guess he wouldn't have ended up as king anyway cause of Summerhall.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be "king" or kid, but I assume you mean Duncan the Small / Prince of Dragonflies? He was disinherited for marrying Jenny and thus never became king. I mean I guess he wouldn't have ended up as king anyway cause of Summerhall.

Ya thats who I meant I just wanted to show that its not unheard of for high lords/ heirs to be with commoners, and especially since he had already married highborn women and produced heirs I don't think it would have been as big a deal for Quellon.

Well, you could also say that if Duncan had never met Jeyne, the court would have never met the Ghost of High Hearth, who was "so dear to Lady Jeyne". Without the dwarf woman, Aegon V and Jaehaerys II would never have learned about the prophecy concerning Aerys/Rhaella and the Promised Prince, which in turn might have prevented Summerhal (with the previous believe that Rhaegar was the promised prince, I find his birth at Summerhal highly suspicious).

Well, you could also say that if Duncan had never met Jeyne, the court would have never met the Ghost of High Hearth, who was "so dear to Lady Jeyne". Without the dwarf woman, Aegon V and Jaehaerys II would never have learned about the prophecy concerning Aerys/Rhaella and the Promised Prince, which in turn might have prevented Summerhal (with the previous believe that Rhaegar was the promised prince, I find his birth at Summerhal highly suspicious).

I never thought of it that way. So it's all Duncan's fault! :)

Are we ever told why the banner of the Second Sons bears a broken sword?

I'd bet it's because of Mero being the "Titan's Bastard" and the Titan of Braavos' sword being broken.

Just browsing the Wiki and reading about the Pact and it mentions Wood Dancers of the children of the forest any idea what Wood Dancers could be ?

That's the only time they're mentioned in the books. One of the worldbook samples explains they were the Children of the Forest who did the hunting, and later the fighting against the First Men.

I never thought of it that way. So it's all Duncan's fault! :)

I'd bet it's because of Mero being the "Titan's Bastard" and the Titan of Braavos' sword being broken.

I did see that speculation... that the Scond Sons come from Braavos and that the sigil is the broken sword of the Titan like the sigil of House Baelish is the Titan's head.

First time, I love you all.

I don't know if it's a small question or just a pointless one, but how many days in an year on Planetos? from a medieval viewpoint, year is the time between two identical solstice, or is somehow related to seasons, which in westeros are messy. Basically, how they count years?

No marriage to a Dayne had ever been mentioned.

"some foreigner from Essos" would be a highborn girl of Valyrian descent. The Targaryens themselves are also Valyrian, so it's not weird that Aerys had looked in that direction.

That Rhaegar and Arthur were good friends does not imply a good relationship between the two houses, however. That Rhaegar was friends with someone, doesn't mean that Aerys was.

Also, a possible match between Targaryen and Dayne would not alienate House Martell. Why would it? There was nothing previously arranged with the Martells, so it would have been no problem if a bannermans daughter had been chosen as Rhaegars wife..

But Aerys wanted someone to continue the line of the dragons with, as pure a Valyrian blood as he could find. In Essos, where people of Valyrian descent still live, Steffon obviously did not find anyone who met Aerys' criteria, and thus Elia Martell, herself having Targaryen blood, was chosen. The Daynes do not have dragonblood, which would always count higher than descending from any random Valyrian house.

The theory is that Steffon was send out to find descendants of Aerion Targaryen, who had spend quite some time in Lys and could easily have left a few children there. There might have been others as well, descending from Targaryen cousins from before the Doom. If their descendants still exist, however, Aerys must have thought their lines were diluted too much, by having made the "wrong" (read: too many non-valyrian) marriages.

Perhaps the only one left that was good enough was already married to illyrio.

Did that marriage bear any Children?

Archived