Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

Not going to give a lecture what a year is, but a month has 30 days and a year 12 months as far as we have learned yet. No special holidays in-between them.

Welcome to the forum, @ibbenese!

they also have a fortnight, which would suggest that there is a unit of time called a week which could have a day for each of the seven gods, but this is only speculation. There were some threads on this before but I can't find them on the phone. A Google search of the site should yield some answers.

There was an idea that the years are based on a historic rotation of the seasons which was disturbed by either the others attacking or the children cracking the land bridge to Essos.

We'll either find out with the world book or the GRRMarrillion or not at all probably

a fourtnight is two weeks, actually. Some speculation if this means 14 days as is logical (2x7) or 15 days as would be half a moons turn.

eta: and a year needs no seasons. A year has passed when the earth has travelled all the way around the sun and is, more or less. in the same space as before, as seen from the sun.

Do we know what is the highest peak in Westeros (and how high) or the highest mountain range?

The Giant's Lance is definitely the highest mountain in the Vale, so I think it would make sense for it to be the highest south of the Wall?

Looming over them all was the jagged peak called the Giant’s Lance, a mountain that even mountains looked up to, its head lost in icy mists three and a half miles above the valley floor.

aGoT 43 (Catelyn VI)

Not going to give a lecture what a year is, but a month has 30 days and a year 12 months as far as we have learned yet. No special holidays in-between them.

IIRC, Tolkien had five special days in his calendar to reach 365 days per year. Such days haven't been mentioned for Planetos, so it looks like a year lasts 360 days.

IIRC, Tolkien had five special days in his calendar to reach 365 days per year. Such days haven't been mentioned for Planetos, so it looks like a year lasts 360 days.

Unless Maiden's Day is also counted seperately from the weeks.

That'd be a funny concept though - how could it be justified in-world? Unless it just so happens that Planetos takes 365.25 days to rotate around its host star and that the maesters figured that out I guess...

a fourtnight is two weeks, actually. Some speculation if this means 14 days as is logical (2x7) or 15 days as would be half a moons turn.

eta: and a year needs no seasons. A year has passed when the earth has travelled all the way around the sun and is, more or less. in the same space as before, as seen from the sun.

I'm talking about a medieval point of view, most probably with no heliocentric conceptions.

Nothing important, just wondering how they know a year is passed. So it's after 12 moon's turns?

they also have a fortnight, which would suggest that there is a unit of time called a week which could have a day for each of the seven gods, but this is only speculation. There were some threads on this before but I can't find them on the phone. A Google search of the site should yield some answers.

There was an idea that the years are based on a historic rotation of the seasons which was disturbed by either the others attacking or the children cracking the land bridge to Essos.

We'll either find out with the world book or the GRRMarrillion or not at all probably

thanks, couldn't find anything on wiki.

maybe more knowledge about cosmology around there would be useful. what a wonderful thought a GRRMarillion!

That'd be a funny concept though - how could it be justified in-world? Unless it just so happens that Planetos takes 365.25 days to rotate around its host star and that the maesters figured that out I guess...

It could have been determined by the maesters before the seasons were disturbed. They needed only to evaluate the time between two passages of the Sun near the same star.

I'm talking about a medieval point of view, most probably with no heliocentric conceptions.

Nothing important, just wondering how they know a year is passed. So it's after 12 moon's turns?

The concept that in earlier times, people believed the world was flat and immobile (together with people having been smaller than nowadays and generally malnurtured) is a misconception from the Age of Enlightenment (when the latter two were indeed closer to the truth, somehow).

People in the MA knew the earth was spherical and rotating around the sun.

Understanding that the earth rotates around the sun and does so in roundabout 365.25 days can be achieved by watching the night sky throughout the year from a fixed point on earth. Watching sunrise or sunset regularly from the same spot will show when a year has passed. No seasons needed. In fact, around the equator there are no seasons in that sense, even on this planet we type on. Still people from those region knew a year. Have always known. We should spend more time stargazing.

I was about to mention the moon cycles, but decided otherwise. It looks easy peasy at first, but sadly isn't.

eta: when I realise, @Mychel_Redfort said as much 45 minutes earlier...

I was under the impression that a fortnight is a compression of fourteen nights. otherwise it would be a fiftnight wouldn't it? :dunno:

fourteen nights would not be a natural amount of time without a seven day week though, or maybe a 28 day month, but with one day for each of the gods, you could have a week of 7 days, and so a fortnight for 2 of them.

I was under the impression that a fortnight is a compression of fourteen nights. otherwise it would be a fiftnight wouldn't it? :dunno:

fourteen nights would not be a natural amount of time without a seven day week though, or maybe a 28 day month, but with one day for each of the gods, you could have a week of 7 days, and so a fortnight for 2 of them.

Just so.

And yes, there are (of course) seven days a week.

I just changed mine to a temporary one, can you see it now? it should say "Test"

I realise you posted this a while ago now, but yes, your lego man is back. He looks almost zoomed in on though, but that could just be my phone

Anyone else having technical issues? Avatars not loading, sometimes the reply box at the bottom is greyed out.

It happens time and again. I don't worry about it, though. Avatars are overrated and reply boxes will load the next time you try. Or in a minute.

Simply typing in a greyed out reply box and posting usually works just as well for me. It is then simply missing the text markup buttons.

Archived