Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

Yes, he could do that. There's no indication that he considered it so far. Though we know he didn't totally trust Rhaegar.

Yep. In addition to this, the effort Aerys put into finding a Valyrian bride for Rhaegar to me suggests he fully intended him to rule once Aerys died. Though I think this might have been before Duskendale.

Yep. In addition to this, the effort Aerys put into finding a Valyrian bride for Rhaegar to me suggests he fully intended him to rule once Aerys died. Though I think this might have been before Duskendale.

Also I kind of get the feeling everyone and their grandma loved Rhaegar, I don't think it would have sat too well with a lot of powerful Lords to just refuse him his throne...

I have been following a couple of alternative scenario threads to the traditional R+L=J & don't have a lot to add mainly because so many people dis the timelines, both threads are pretty toxic so I would rather not post there but I have a couple of questions.

Can anyone point me to a post or link to find out roughly how old Robb is (months I guess) when he comes with Catelyn to WF?

How old is Jon when Ned returns to WF? I'm guessing he must be at least 6 months as he appears to have been weaned (Wylla was his wet nurse according to young Ned (Edric Dayne) they were milk brothers (not the same age I realise) No mention of a wet nurse at WF IIRC.

I'm pretty sure Catelyn & Robb arrive first then Ned & Jon - if someone can confirm. Thanks

I have been following a couple of alternative scenario threads to the traditional R+L=J & don't have a lot to add mainly because so many people dis the timelines, both threads are pretty toxic so I would rather not post there but I have a couple of questions.

Can anyone point me to a post or link to find out roughly how old Robb is (months I guess) when he comes with Catelyn to WF?

How old is Jon when Ned returns to WF? I'm guessing he must be at least 6 months as he appears to have been weaned (Wylla was his wet nurse according to young Ned (Edric Dayne) they were milk brothers (not the same age I realise) No mention of a wet nurse at WF IIRC.

I'm pretty sure Catelyn & Robb arrive first then Ned & Jon - if someone can confirm. Thanks

The timeline for everyone's return is a bit vague. In short, we cannot be sure about how many months.

Jon was already in Winterfell with his wetnurse when Catwlyn arrived with Robb, that is stated in the books.

There is one quote, that suggests to me that Catelyn arrived at Winterfell before the end of the year, but if that quote does indeed mean that (it was something like "they didn't see much of each other the rest of the year"), it means that Catelyn arrived in the last few days of the year (as at Robbs birth,at least 9 months into the year, there was still some fighting).

Important to realise is that the wetnurse Jon had in Winterfell doesn't have to have been Wylla. She works at Starfall, and Ned Stark visited there. She might only have been his wetnurse for a short time

The timeline for everyone's return is a bit vague. In short, we cannot be sure about how many months.

Jon was already in Winterfell with his wetnurse when Catwlyn arrived with Robb, that is stated in the books.

There is one quote, that suggests to me that Catelyn arrived at Winterfell before the end of the year, but if that quote does indeed mean that (it was something like "they didn't see much of each other the rest of the year"), it means that Catelyn arrived in the last few days of the year (as at Robbs birth,at least 9 months into the year, there was still some fighting).

Important to realise is that the wetnurse Jon had in Winterfell doesn't have to have been Wylla. She works at Starfall, and Ned Stark visited there. She might only have been his wetnurse for a short time

thank you, I just moved & my books are in a box somewhere :crying: frustrating, I appreciate the reply

Actually the poison soon runs dry when you simply ignore the trolls and the hotshots. Some of the latter cool down after a few months, so I take'm with pound of salt until it wears off :)

How old is Jon when Ned returns to WF?

This is the hardest part for me as it seems unreasonable to me to state the time in the timeline when they arrive in Winterfell.

I'm guessing he must be at least 6 months as he appears to have been weaned (Wylla was his wet nurse according to young Ned (Edric Dayne) they were milk brothers (not the same age I realise) No mention of a wet nurse at WF IIRC.

Still there is a suggestion that there was.

The Starks were not like other men. Ned brought his bastard home with him, and called him "son" for all the north to see. When the wars were over at last, and Catelyn rode to Winterfell, Jon and his wet nurse had already taken up residence.

AGoT 6 Catelyn II

First impression - it is said there - "Ned brought his bastard home with him" is that Ned literally did what is said. Reason being that it actually makes no sense. Ned would have had to travel north without baby Jon in order to be safe from suspicion and gossip - things that might have led to Jon's early death.

So he probably sent Wylla and maybe Howland north and travelled on his own to reconcile with Bob, and bring home the Dustin horse and all those things his duty was asking of him. Did he fetch only Jon and not Wylla when he travelled the last miles to WF or were those two already in Winterfell before him? Cannot say.

Maybe Wylla is the wet nurse in above quote, but Ned is missing in the last sentence. So did Ned actually take Catelyn to Winterfell? There is a later quote where Catelyn remembers her first seeing Moat Cailin on the road to Winterfell, and remembering Ned reassuring her about Moat Cailin.

"Gods have mercy," Ser Brynden exclaimed when he saw what lay before them. "This is Moat Cailin? It's no more than a - "

" - death trap," Catelyn finished. "I know how it looks, Uncle. I thought the same the first time I saw it, but Ned assured me that this ruin is more formidable than it seems.

AGoT 55 Catelyn VIII

This may be understood as honourable Ned travelling with his wife from Riverrun to Winterfell, where she was surprised to find the bastard, later.

So actually Jon is first to arrive in Winterfell and Catelyn and Robb are last to arrive in Winterfell. Ned may have been part of the party in the first part or part of the party in the last part... or have arrived in-between to travel south again to meet Catelyn and Robb.

Wholly unrelated is the question about their ages.

That one is slightly difficult. They are very nearly the same age, as much as we have been able to find out. Jon is born around the time of the Sack of King's Landing or a few weeks later. Robb is born pretty certainly 9 to 10 months after the Battle of the Bells. That battle was fought about 4 months into the Robellion, which is said to have lasted about a year. Jon is born after that year, and so is Robb. They may be any number of weeks apart, but not too many.

Not a small question. My personal thoughts are close to 0 for all of them, lowest chance for Jon. It also depends what you mean by villain. Villain as in an antagonist? Antagonist to who? Will they be in conflict with each other? Who would be the villain in such a case?

As you can see, its not an easy question to answer and really comes down to your own.opinions

Not a small question. My personal thoughts are close to 0 for all of them, lowest chance for Jon. It also depends what you mean by villain. Villain as in an antagonist? Antagonist to who? Will they be in conflict with each other? Who would be the villain in such a case?

As you can see, its not an easy question to answer and really comes down to your own.opinions

I forgot that this was for small questions. by villain i mean a threat to the people of Westeros, Like killing people and stuff.

I forgot that this was for small questions. by villain i mean a threat to the people of Westeros, Like killing people and stuff.

So you meant to say a "nobleman", not "villain". Oh I better shut up. Actually, many people and all POV but Sansa are killers. Some mindful, many mindless, but killers and dangerous the lot of them.

(snipped for space)

Thank you so much, It's been a while since I did a re-read of GoT, I appreciate you digging those references up for me. It's more complicated than I thought, It's a wonder there isn't more discussion on this, it would make an interesting thread I think, you bring some great insight into literally we can take the text.

In your opinion do you consider GRRM has been deliberately cryptic with the wording on those passages or is it just a case of making a few oversights in the first book?

In your opinion do you consider GRRM has been deliberately cryptic with the wording on those passages or is it just a case of making a few oversights in the first book?

Yes - in my humble opinion - GRRM has gone lengths to make it cryptic, poetic, dream-like, resembling the folds and faults of real human memories.

Also there must be a few errors, GRRM has been working hard on it, no doubt, but he is as human as we are, and errors keep creeping in however hard you try.

Archived