Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

You don't think Bran would be able to say anything other than Hodor while warging Hodor?

I think it would depend on whether Hodor's "hodoring" is a result of a cognitive dysfunction or a physiological condition. If it's cognitive, then I think Bran's consciousness might enable Hodor to speak normally. If it's physical, I don't think he'd be able to.

I think it would depend on whether Hodor's "hodoring" is a result of a cognitive dysfunction or a physiological condition. If it's cognitive, then I think Bran's consciousness might enable Hodor to speak normally. If it's physical, I don't think he'd be able to.

What physical condition would limit a person's vocabulary to one word? I'm pretty sure it's his brain that is limiting his speech, not his vocal cords or tongue.

What physical condition would limit a person's vocabulary to one word? I'm pretty sure it's his brain that is limiting his speech, not his vocal cords or tongue.

I think the question here is does Hodor say "Hodor" randomly or is he trying to communicate something.

I'm trying to find a quote from a Dance with Dragons; I think it happened during a Tyrion chapter but I'm not sure: one character is telling another character how a legendary figure building a palace or something using magic but then another character chimes in and says that the Rhoynar or some slave faction was used.

Basically we had a legend shared and the truth which was not as exciting as the legend.

Anyone remember this happening?

I'm trying to find a quote from a Dance with Dragons; I think it happened during a Tyrion chapter but I'm not sure: one character is telling another character how a legendary figure building a palace or something using magic but then another character chimes in and says that the Rhoynar or some slave faction was used.

Basically we had a legend shared and the truth which was not as exciting as the legend.

Anyone remember this happening?

This doesn't quite fit your description, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. From Feast:

“Prince Oberyn was full of stories.” Garin had been with them as well that day; he was Arianne’s milk brother, and they had been inseparable since before they learned to walk. “He told about Prince Garin, I remember, the one that I was named for.”

“Garin the Great,” offered Drey, “the wonder of the Rhoyne.”

“That’s the one. He made Valyria tremble.”

“They trembled,” said Ser Gerold, “then they killed him. If I led a quarter of a million men to death, would they call me Gerold the Great?” He snorted. “I shall remain Darkstar, I think. At least it is mine own.” He unsheathed his longsword, sat upon the lip of the dry well, and began to hone the blade with an oilstone.

Then Tyrion talks about him in Dance:

“The conquerors did not believe either, Hugor Hill,” said Ysilla. “The men of Volantis and Valyria hung Garin in a golden cage and made mock as he called upon his Mother to destroy them. But in the night the waters rose and drowned them, and from that day to this they have not rested. They are down there still beneath the water, they who were once the lords of fire. Their cold breath rises from the murk to make these fogs, and their flesh has turned as stony as their hearts.”

Are the nine mages referred to anywhere else in ASOIAF other than in Davos III, Storm? Are they referred to in D&E or the App?

They're mentioned twice in Davos chapters in Storm:

The look Stannis gave her was dark. “Nine mages crossed the sea to hatch Aegon the Third’s cache of eggs. Baelor the Blessed prayed over his for half a year. Aegon the Fourth built dragons of wood and iron. Aerion Brightflame drank wildfire to transform himself. The mages failed, King Baelor’s prayers went unanswered, the wooden dragons burned, and Prince Aerion died screaming.”

“He is always with the red woman, and... he is not in his right mind, I fear. This talk of a stone dragon... madness, I tell you, sheer madness. Did we learn nothing from Aerion Brightfire, from the nine mages, from the alchemists? Did we learn nothing from Summerhall? No good has ever come from these dreams of dragons, I told Axell as much.

They're not mentioned in any Dunk & Egg stories. I can't say if they're mentioned in the App or not.

The App that was Promised - I am out. When I read your post it made me think there'd be another official source for the chapter you were referring to. So sorry.

The summary is on the wiki, if that helps. I know, having.written it ;) The ever obliging Rhaenys_Targaryen edited it though (at least I assume it was her)

The App that was Promised - I am out. When I read your post it made me think there'd be another official source for the chapter you were referring to. So sorry.

The app that is crap is more like it. There is less info in there than on the wiki pages and and all of the new stuff in there was not written by Martin. Like Rhaegar wandering around crying on his harp strings. The only thing in it worth note is the Tyrion chapter. At least the wiki pages have links were you can see the actual quotes from the author about stuff. Oh and it has maps in case you forgot what Westeros looked like as a map.

The app that is crap is more like it. There is less info in there than on the wiki pages and and all of the new stuff in there was not written by Martin. Like Rhaegar wandering around crying on his harp strings. The only thing in it worth note is the Tyrion chapter. At least the wiki pages have links were you can see the actual quotes from the author about stuff. Oh and it has maps in case you forgot what Westeros looked like as a map.

You used to be a lot more cheerful...

You used to be a lot more cheerful...

Right.

Thanks anyways. Nice to hear it is not too much I am missing.

reported

Archived